PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eject Ubuntu server CD from remote Windows machine?

mlfrancis
March 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hello All,
How can I eject a Ubuntu server's CD/DVD that is shared over samba from a networked Windows machine?

I've Googled and searched and still don't have a solution.

My wife's new laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive. The only thing she needs one for is installing stuff so I shared our home server (Ubuntu server) cd/dvd drive. All works fine until we need to switch disks. At that point I have to ssh into the machine and eject the disk.

Is there anyway to eject the disk from her machine without installing ssh tools? I figure if I install ssh tools on her machine I should be able to do a ssh remote command to eject the disk, but it seems there should be a way to do it without going through that hassle.

Any thoughts appreciated.

cdenley
March 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Is there anyway to eject the disk from her machine without installing ssh tools? I figure if I install ssh tools on her machine I should be able to do a ssh remote command to eject the disk, but it seems there should be a way to do it without going through that hassle.

Putty does not require installation. I don't know of any way to remotely eject a disc without using a shell. Actually, I guess you can configure an inetd service to eject the disc when a TCP connection on a given port is established, but that would allow anyone with access to that port to eject the disc without authentication.

1. install xinetd

sudo apt-get install xinetd

2. create your service (/etc/xinetd.d/eject)

service telnet
{
protocol = tcp
port = 23
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/bin/eject
server_args = -v -T /dev/scd0
disable = no
}

3. restart xinetd