PDA

View Full Version : Commercial flagging while recording, also # of programs at one time

JMcFly
March 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Running 9.04, my current backend is a 2.4ghz P4, 2gb RAM, running a Hauppage PVR-1600. Should I be ok running commercial flagging while recording, or should I leave it to process after the show is complete? I normally do not transcode my jobs, just leaving them in raw format as I rarely watch on a remote front-end and I'm usually the only person on the network.

A spare PC I can make into a new 9.10 backend is a dual-core Celeron 2.5ghz, 2gb ram and a GeForce 8400, if I add a PCIx1 recorder (Haupauge HVR-2250, for example) and the PVR-1600, would the SATA hard drive (would 1 be enough or would I need multiple just for bandwidth?) be able to keep up with 2 HD streams and two MPEG streams?

ian dobson
March 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hi,

My backend (Quad C2D 2.83GHz) can record 4 SD streams at the same time and commflag them at the same time, without putting the CPU under much load. The most important thing is having enough ram/IO bandwidth to handle the disk requests.

My backend has 8Gb ram and the recordings sit on a 4drive RAID5 array.

The only time I see the backend under any real load is when I record/commflag several HD streams at the same time.

Regards
Ian Dobson

matt06
March 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Should I be ok running commercial flagging while recording, or should I leave it to process after the show is complete?
You should be fine flagging in real-time. I run two HVR-1600 in a 3.0GHz P4(HT) and can easily flag two analog or digital recordings simultaneously. Flagging digital shows seems to be quite a bit more CPU intensive, especially at the beginning, but I still have no issues doing two on my box. Just guessing here, but I think 2.4GHz could do one digital + one analog easily and two digital might be possible.

would the SATA hard drive (would 1 be enough or would I need multiple just for bandwidth?) be able to keep up with 2 HD streams and two MPEG streams?
I have a single 1TB SATA recordings drive on my backend and have done two digital (HD) and two analog recordings all simultaneously. I think I turned off flagging on all but one show in this instance as I didn't want to chance getting a bunch of artifacts from not being able to write fast enough. It should be noted that my OS and DB are another drive, I'm sure this might make a significant difference in results.