PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Location of these downloaded files.

dE_logics
March 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
After downloading deb files, at times (for e.g. with flashplugin-nonfree and wine), apt still downloads files like ariel32.exe, webdin32.exe, it downloaded a flash tarball.

So where does these files get downloaded to? They give problems during offline software installation.

overlord.gaurav
March 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I don't know about the .exe files, but you can find the .deb files in /var/cache/atp/archives/

dE_logics
March 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
That's the place where the debs are stored...these files are different. They are downloaded while the debs are getting installed.

oldos2er
March 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM
After downloading deb files, at times (for e.g. with flashplugin-nonfree and wine), apt still downloads files like ariel32.exe, webdin32.exe,

Those files are part of the package ttf-mscorefonts-installer.

chaanakya_chiraag
March 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I think they are stored in the /tmp folder, which means they get cleared out after a while.

dE_logics
March 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Oh no...this is crap.

Actually this is a problem with apt.

mcduck
March 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Oh no...this is crap.

Actually this is a problem with apt.

if anything it's problem with the .deb packages that handle the downloading, definitely not apt.

But I'd actually bet that there's a good reason to only store those .exe's in /tmp, as their license most likely prohibits distributing them (which is the exact reason why the files in them aren't included in the .deb packages themselves but are downloaded from the net instead).

dE_logics
March 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Oh...I see.