PDA

View Full Version : What web browser problems have you found?

executorvs
March 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I've found a couple problems in firefox on lucid 64bit which tended to be very annoying.
the worst by far (I couldn't get to the net to ask questions) was
1. if firefox tries to reload it's plugin database (pluginreg.dat) while libmoon is installed it throughs a seg fault and crashes until you remove libmoon.

the next few were less annoying but still.
2. when compiz is enabled flash doesn't work correctly. while flash will play video the controls are not accessible in said video.
3. there were some other bugs that seemed to be related to the sun-java-plugin which I'm having trouble reproducing but didn't encounter after uninstalling it.

the reason I'm mentioning is after my exam weds. I wanted to try and run all of the browser bugs I can down to the best of my ability and report them and any work arounds I can find.

So do any of you have some others I could try to check?

linusr
March 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
chrome bookmarks bar icons are truncated in top & bottom

Matticus
March 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have only had 3 problems.

Search bar/box/any area of typing has no focus when Firefox loads.

The Chrome link in applications > Internet has disappeared so I created a launcher on my panel for it.

Chrome seems to occasionally knock itself out of maximise and be floating about very nearly maximised.

Owen.C93
March 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
No problems here running 3.7a3pre. The url bar keeps focus. Bugzilla is the place to file firefox bugs incase anyone was wandering.

ViperScull
March 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
chrome bookmarks bar icons are truncated in top & bottom

+1

Malcy
March 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Firefox has just gone nuts. The window contents on any site is totally screwed up with large white areas, many components missing and other components in totally wrong places in the window.

Opera is fine.

kansasnoob
March 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I've found a couple problems in firefox on lucid 64bit

Try this:

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-stable/

purgatori
March 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM
Visiting *any* page in Chrome results produces the 'aw snap' message, and it can only be fixed by deleting the profile, purging the deb and reinstalling. Even after doing this, the error re-appears after restarting the application for the first time. Pretty much renders Chrome unusable.

jppr
March 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
I use Opera 10.51 and I donīt have problem anymore :popcorn: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6252/
Firefox is slow and i can say that firefox is ****.

LADmaticCA
March 21st, 2010, 05:49 AM
I have had some dns problems on my laptop, similar to karmic where the browser displays "waitng for <insert site here>" after clicking a link. Not as bad as karmic but I still run into it. My desktop doesn't experience this though.

jppr
March 21st, 2010, 06:01 AM
just run... http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

opera 10.51 5291 p
firefox 3.6 2386 p
chromium 5.0.307.11 4686 p

emarkay
March 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
See this thread for Java issues:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9004764

Scruffynerf
March 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm getting all of the errors asked in the following Networking & wireless forum post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1366410

Essentially, web browsing in Lucid has become a system or random failure, whereas on another popular operating system things work.

Getting "URL IS Invalid", "Unable to access /" and 404 errors on Google.com, Yahoo.com cnn.com etc.

RemiemB
March 30th, 2010, 05:16 PM
All my browsers have this latency to start loading pages. Once loading, they show up at normal speed. But it takes a few seconds "resolving host" and loads everything fine.

It happens on Chrome/Firefox. It's annoying. Karmic was working fine.

flyfishingphil
April 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
I've found a couple problems in firefox on lucid 64bit which tended to be very annoying.
the worst by far (I couldn't get to the net to ask questions) was
1. if firefox tries to reload it's plugin database (pluginreg.dat) while libmoon is installed it throughs a seg fault and crashes until you remove libmoon.

the next few were less annoying but still.
2. when compiz is enabled flash doesn't work correctly. while flash will play video the controls are not accessible in said video.
3. there were some other bugs that seemed to be related to the sun-java-plugin which I'm having trouble reproducing but didn't encounter after uninstalling it.

the reason I'm mentioning is after my exam weds. I wanted to try and run all of the browser bugs I can down to the best of my ability and report them and any work arounds I can find.

So do any of you have some others I could try to check?
Let's see, where to start? Trying to use Firefox in Ubuntu 9.10 (Koala) that is dual booted.

1. Have had it seem to be not responding it has taken so long to do anything.
2. Cannot play games at Pogo, and others, because the one provided with Ubuntu 9.10 is not up to date enough to work. (Tried updating to V19 w/o success.
3. Not able, sometimes, to view videos. Just get a blank screen.

Tried Opera 10.10 and found that to work a little better, but lots slower than FF.

Still looking for a browser that let's me do what I want and not have to change where I visit and what I do to match the lack of abilities of the browser.