PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] youtube

expatCM
March 13th, 2010, 04:57 AM
My children are addicted to youtube. I want to restrict their access and keep it in reasonable limits. I was wondering how .....

I have looked in Squid through webmin and read the suggestions at this link
http://www.marskarthik.com/blog/wp-content/files/squid.htm
but it seems that the focus is to block youtube completely for all users of the server rather than specific users at specific times.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

kindofabuzz
March 13th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Most routers have the ability to block sites during certain times, days, etc... that's just one way.

trideceth12
March 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
When I was a kid I always found a way around my mum's blocking techniques / software. From netnanny style software to the dialup internet passwords to her hiding the modem when she was out of the house.

IMO blocking youtube, either temporarily or permanently, will not stop them using the site... but it might make them more ingenious :)

Tikkyca
March 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I love youtube,but i really don't know how to help you,sry :(

expatCM
March 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM
...........but it might make them more ingenious

Fine. Then they went out and learned something rather that sitting on their *** for 16 hours watching youtube.

Most routers have the ability to block sites during certain times, days

Mine does not but also it is not a solution ... this would block youtube for all users and not just some users (since the router is connected to the server. the server manages the users).

trideceth12
March 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Have a look at this:

www.dansguardian.org

expatCM
March 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
So it is not possible to manage traffic using Squid?

DansGuardian seems to be a broad blacklist manager, since I only want to stop one site this seems to be a bit like overkill ... but I may be mistaken in my view.

ushills
March 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
if using firefox look at procon-latte in the addons, you can then restrict by user. it's very customisable. if you have everything set up properly the wont be able to circumvent by installing another browser.

expatCM
March 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This appears to be a very interesting browser addon.

Ok so I need to install at the client which in turn means that I will need to disable at client level when access to youtube is granted (like weekends) but this seems to be a very practical solution.

Thank you for mentioning this exists.......