PDA

View Full Version : Second tuner card not recording correctly

Caps18
March 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
It seems like the second tuner card is having problems picking up any stations using an OTA antenna. Did I do something to fry the card? When it records a second show, all I get is a bunch of random digital pixels. When I try using it with live TV, I can hardly get above 10% (if I can get anything at all). And this is for local stations that are only a few miles away, so it shouldn't have much to do with the direction of the antenna.

I still need to try a different antenna to rule that out, but are there any other suggestions? This all started back when I updated my computer case & motherboard.

Thanks

klc5555
March 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
It seems like the second tuner card is having problems picking up any stations using an OTA antenna. Did I do something to fry the card? When it records a second show, all I get is a bunch of random digital pixels. When I try using it with live TV, I can hardly get above 10% (if I can get anything at all). And this is for local stations that are only a few miles away, so it shouldn't have much to do with the direction of the antenna.

I still need to try a different antenna to rule that out, but are there any other suggestions? This all started back when I updated my computer case & motherboard.

Thanks

Check whether the card is seated properly, and/or try running it from a different slot. Check whether the cabling from the antenna to the card is tight all the way. After a motherboard change, problems like this tend to be crude mechanical problems rather than a fried card.

If potential mechanical problems are definitely ruled out, then the search can begin for subtler causes.

Caps18
March 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I found out that this problem has something to do with my second high gain amplified directional antenna. I swapped it out for a different antenna last night and it works like it should.

Since I can't blame it on snow on my roof, I will have to go up in my attic to see if it is pointed in the wrong direction. I'm still surprised that the local channels didn't come in however.