PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia twinview - windows stuck on second monitor.

miatawnt2b
March 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I am having an issue with nvidia twinview. If I can drag windows to the second monitor, but I can't drag them back to the primary display. Actually I can drag them onto the primary display, but when I release the mouse button they snap back to the second monitor.

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@crested) Sun Feb 1 20:25:37 UTC 2009

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Thu Feb 25 05:30:38 PST 2010
#Section "InputDevice"
# # generated from default
# Identifier "Mouse0"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "auto"
# Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
#EndSection
#Section "InputDevice"
# # generated from default
# Identifier "Keyboard0"
# Driver "kbd"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

# InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Apple"
HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0
VertRefresh 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9600M GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+1200"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

miatawnt2b
March 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
bump

bcvery
March 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I have the exact same problem :(

Cannot resize windows (manually) to larger than primary screen either

bcvery
March 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hey guys. I found my problem occurred while messing around with compiz (as problems often do). I found that the effect "wobbly windows" is the one that stops my windows staying on the monitor I choose.

Hope this helps,
bcvery

thenetquest
March 31st, 2010, 04:49 AM
WOW this is funny. I just set up Twin-view and been having the same problems. It's funny how compiz can have such weird affects on Linux.

I was able just once to get a window to move back to the primary screen and could not figure out how I was able to do it, or what the problem was. After many Google searches, I then found this form and realized the solution and what I did to get it to work.

The problem is indeed related to wobbly windows in compiz, however you don't have to disable the wobbly windows feature in compiz to be able to move windows back to the primary display as stated previously; That would be SAD/HORRIBLE as I sure love my wobbly windows as I am sure most everyone else who uses compiz does.

The solution: Simple... Just moove them to primary display, but wait till they STOP WOBBLING, then release the mouse.
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down. These are windows, so when they wobble, they do fall down.

LOL, Hope this helps! :D

p.s. My Falling down analogy comes from my primary monitor being mounted on the wall LCDTV, and by second monitor below it on the desk; About 3 feet below.

p.s.s Once you get a windows from display 2 back to the primary display, YOU CAN WOBBLE THAT WINDOW ALL YOU WANT!