PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Forcing change of screen resolution

harisund
March 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Ok, so I installed Ubuntu on a EEE PC, with default screen resolution of 1024x600. Ubuntu recognized this screen resolution correctly, no problems there.

However, some windows are too big to fit. For example, I installed Google Chrome and when I try to open its "Options" I can not see the buttons towards the bottom.

The display driver Asus offers for Windows allows a resolution of 1024x768 where in the screen moves when I move the mouse towards the bottom. I can understand this is probably not possible on Linux, but atleast, I should be able to force the resolution to 1024x768 temporarily to change settings.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing? There's no /etc/X11/xorg.conf anymore, and the resolutions offered in the "Display" administrative setting are all lesser than this one.

(And don't tell me to install UNR. It sucks. I tried it. And even on it, the Chrome window has a problem, it can't be "maximised" . Besides I don't like to see everything maximised the way UNR does it anyway)

mikewhatever
March 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
The driver may offer a number of different resolutions, but it shouldn't matter if 1024x600 is the maximum the screen can display. Basically, google chrome needs to adjust its interface to all too common resolutions used on netboooks. There is an easy way to move any window around on the screen (including upward), by holding alt+left mouse key, and dragging.

harisund
March 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hey the Alt+mouse key thing is awesome.

Thanks a lot !