PDA

View Full Version : PLUG updates for anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area

Sharkscott
March 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Hi all, I went to my first Phoenix Linux Users Group Meeting last night. It was pretty cool. I was one of five or six of the thirty or so guys there in their 30's or 20's.

An older gentelmen Dennis, got up and did a presentation on the SCaLE conference that was recently going on in L.A. I was pretty cool. I liked it.

Another guy, Josh did a presentation on the finances of Open Source.

Last was a guy named Mike who did a quick real-time build of an application(Music database) with perl, WAY over my head, but very cool to see something get created right before my eyes. It will not be over my head forever.

Just thought that I would start to give you guys updates on what's happening up here in the Valley of the Sun.

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi all, I went to my first Phoenix Linux Users Group Meeting last night. It was pretty cool. I was one of five or six of the thirty or so guys there in their 30's or 20's.

An older gentelmen Dennis, got up and did a presentation on the SCaLE conference that was recently going on in L.A. I was pretty cool. I liked it.

Another guy, Josh did a presentation on the finances of Open Source.

Last was a guy named Mike who did a quick real-time build of an application(Music database) with perl, WAY over my head, but very cool to see something get created right before my eyes. It will not be over my head forever.

Just thought that I would start to give you guys updates on what's happening up here in the Valley of the Sun.

If I still lived in the Phoenix area I would be interested. I live over 1000 miles away now so that is not possible but it sounds like a lot of fun.

bjweeks
March 11th, 2006, 01:25 AM
If I still lived in the Phoenix area I would be interested. I live over 1000 miles away now so that is not possible but it sounds like a lot of fun.

I live in mesa but I didn't know we had a linux user group...

matthew
March 11th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I've been planning to attend for a long time and always had something come up preventing it...now I'm moving to Morocco in a few weeks and so I won't get there at all.

They have a web site at: http://plug.phoenix.az.us/

Sharkscott
March 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
BJ: I checked the PLUG site and this is the schedule for this month.

Upcoming Events
GNU/Linux Stammtisch
March 21, 2006 (7:00 pm - 11:00 pm)
(FS/OSS)

InstallFest
March 25, 2006 (10:00 am - 4:00 pm)
(PLUG)

West Side Meeting
March 28, 2006 (7:00 pm - 9:00 pm)
(PLUG)

I am unsure of when the Westside meetings are from month to month but I know that the Eastside meetings are always on the second Thursday of every month at Sequoia Charter School. Located at 1460 S Horne, Mesa, AZ, just north of US 60 on the west side of the street.

There is NOT a freeway ramp at Horne, so take the Mesa or Stapley exit north to Southern. Turn south onto Horne and look for us on the right.

Rikostan
March 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
I moved out of the Phoenix area just about 5 years ago and I miss the hell out of the place this time of year. Lived most of my live in Mesa and Tempe, so this thread caught my attention.