PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Karmic for Print Serving

hebron1427
March 9th, 2010, 05:10 AM
OK. So, I'm a Noob to Ubuntu, although I've been trying to build my knowledge. I've recently tried setting up a print server through Karmic. Essentially, I have a computer attached to my wireless network that I want to use as a print server for anyone who connects to the wireless. The other computer has to keep Vista on it. I want to be able to print on the Ubuntu machine remotely from the Windows machine.

I followed the directions in this documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu) but I'm still not making it work. I played around with Samba as well as CUPS to try to figure it out. Samba works great (I can remotely access files on my print server), but, when I try to set up the printer, it doesn't work. I can see the printer from my Windows machine, I can add it to the list of printers on my Windows machine, I can even see the print queue on the printer from my Windows machine. However, whenever I go to send a print job from Windows to the printer, it hangs on the Windows machine and never leaves. I don't know what to do--I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?