PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to switch between Gnome and KDE?

Tom Collier
March 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I've been using Gnome for about 8 months now and wanted to check out KDE. I loaded it using the excellent tutorial referred to elsewhere in the forum, but am missing the switch to go back and forth between KDE 4.4xx and Gnome.

Basically, right now, I'm running all the KDE apps in Gnome. I guess. All the KDE basic apps are on my Applications menu and run okay, but the desktop looks definitely Gnome and boots that way, without offering any choice during the startup process.

I'm using an dual boot EEEPC 1000HD, with Ubuntu 9.10 and XP.

I also confess to termina-phobia, but will venture there with competent guidance....which is why I'm in this forum :D Any ideas on how to get that switch functioning?

hhh
March 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm guessing you have your boot set to bypass logging in. Logout, choose "KDE Session" or whatever it's called from the "Sessions" dropdown list, login.

Tom Collier
March 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks, but I can't get it to work.

If I just delete the .kde folder and reboot, will that get me back to 100% Gnome?

Thanks in advance.

hhh
March 8th, 2010, 11:32 PM
No. I don't know which tutorial you used to install KDE. That said, these are instructions for removing KDE on Karmic (see the links in this tutorial for other versions of Ubuntu)...
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

If you want to try KDE at another time, I suggest these instructions...
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

HTH

Mr_Durden
March 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM
when you are logged in to a desktop kde or gnome. are you not able to log out of the desktop?

Tom Collier
March 9th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks for your prompt help!.

It was kinda tedious, but I just used Synaptic to remove every package that had had a green block in front of it, that had to do with kubuntu or kde...after I read the description of each package. That step kept me from accidentally deleting Scribus and Open Office, both of which I use extensively.

Back to fully Gnome now.

For some reason during the first foray with KDE, I never got the dialog box asking if I wanted to use gdm or kdm display managers, so I'm guessing that was the missing component.

I have run Kubuntu as live CD from a bootable USB stick, and that has given me a bit of the flavor.

Again, thanks for your help.

hhh
March 9th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Cool, l8r.