PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can't remove plams-netbook from Kubuntu Netbook remix 9.10

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 04:30 AM
For the past 2hrs I have been struggling to make KDE launch plasma-dekstop instead of plasma-netbook, but all in vain.

I removed, then purged plasma-netbook and plasma-netbook-default-settings packages but after logging out and re-logging in the Netbook UI was back! After restarting the system now I can't even seem to get the KDM. I am greeted with a black screen. :(

Pls suggest.

--- I restarted the system again and the nasty little bugger is back again! This is so frustrating. How do I get plasma-desktop to load instead?

---- Great now I can see that plasma-desktop and plasma-netbook both are running simultaneously! netbook on top of desktop. So my final Q is how do I stop plasma-netbook from loading?

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 05:36 AM
delete or rename .kde folder, this will reset your desktop, backup your bookmarks, your data should be fine.

open dolphin and hit view, hit show hidden files, browse for .kde

it will be a plain desktop from when you first started.

restart your machine, done

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Didn't work. :( Deleting that defaulted to netbook ui again as I am running Kubunutu Netbook remix.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM
are you trying to have a plain desktop with folder view, if yes' i don't blame you, however is kubuntu desktop installed ?

not too familiar with the netbook thing as you can already see

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM
yup kubuntu desktop is installed and this too simultaneously runs with netbook one, but the netbook one displays on top of it.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM
in kde 4.4 their is a bug, when i enable the netbook display i am unable to switch back to plasma desktop.

do you have kde 4.4 installed ?

if yes' maybe removing plasma-netbook package ?

this fella is trying to install the plasma-netbook :-k

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8824452

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Yup already tried that but somehow it 'reinstalls itself'! It is stuck like straw in a cement. I have now begun downloading non-netbook version. Since now somehow now kwin is crashing always after a system restart. It feels like a row of tumbling bicycles. Now I will have to re-download and re-install everthing from scratch again. I dunno what kind of glue the developers used to paste in the netbook ui.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
i'm certain you can install kubuntu 9.10 without issues besides resolution troubles, if that's the case' choose safe graphics when you install.

what kind of netbook you have there ?

you mentioned kwin, did you have desktop affects ?

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM
This is not a netbook, but I installed the netbook version as I didn't want to wait to dowload the desktop version.

Yup kwin started craching just after I installed ATI FGLRX drivers.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
i hear horror stories about ati drivers.

btw even if you wait and get kubuntu 9.10 you may as well request a cd sent out to you.

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Well the download is complete.. Now moving on to re-formatting.

inobe
March 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
i hope the wait was worth it.

applegrew
March 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
i hope the wait was worth it.

Well yes. Now finally I have a functional desktop. BTW the kwin crashinh issue was directly related to ATI FGLRX driver. It seems there is a bug. I have ATI Mobility Readon 4300

stoobers
September 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I had this problem:
I installed ubuntu from cd, then kubuntu-desktop.
I installed kubuntu-netbook. I didn't like it so i tried to remove it.

It wouldn't remove! sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-netbook didn't do it!

instead, i used:
sudo apt-get purge plasma-netbook
This caused me to lose the menu along the top of kubuntu-netbook desktop.

Logging out and logging back in (no restart) brought me to my old faithful kde desktop.

Sounds like a bug.