PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] panel (not responding)

pidu87
March 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
OK so I was moving the postion of the bar that shows opened programs, when I accidently held down the power button on my laptop.

Now whenever I start UBUNTU 9.10 75% of the time it freezes at the ubuntu splash loading bar. The other 25% of the time it will load but the two bars don't work(maybe because they are on top of each other.....)

*How do I close "PANEL"?

*How do I find the folder that has terminal because i can't use the the menus to open it because the bars donts work.

also I tryed alt+F2 and that does nothing.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

P.S. I LOVE YOU UBUNTU lol

Barriehie
March 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
OK so I was moving the postion of the bar that shows opened programs, when I accidently held down the power button on my laptop.

Now whenever I start UBUNTU 9.10 75% of the time it freezes at the ubuntu splash loading bar. The other 25% of the time it will load but the two bars don't work(maybe because they are on top of each other.....)

*How do I close "PANEL"?

*How do I find the folder that has terminal because i can't use the the menus to open it because the bars donts work.

also I tryed alt+F2 and that does nothing.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

P.S. I LOVE YOU UBUNTU lol

When you get to the desktop press ALT and F2 at the same time. You'll get a box pop open and enter gnome-terminal to run the terminal.
when in the terminal try this:

sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-panel

HTH

pidu87
March 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Alt+F2 doesn't do anthing.......

Is there something I cant type into recovery mode to fix this?

Robster2
March 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
First thing I would do is do a recovery boot.

Hold down the shift key when you are booting.

Select recovery boot from the grub menu.

When you get to the repair menu select the fix broken packages.

Then follow the other advise you are given here.

pidu87
March 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
tryed that didn't help at all.........

So there is no folder that terminal is sitting in......

I guess I'll just download the Ubuntu 9.10 cd and try to reinstall it.... Which sucks cuz i'll prob loose all my data

Barriehie
March 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
tryed that didn't help at all.........

So there is no folder that terminal is sitting in......

I guess I'll just download the Ubuntu 9.10 cd and try to reinstall it.... Which sucks cuz i'll prob loose all my data

I know this is like closing the gate after the horse got out but if you have to reinstall then put /home on a different partition. If you don't have to reinstall I'ld still recommend a diff. partition for /home. Do you have any type of thumb drive to store on??? If you can get to a terminal we can in all likelihood save your data.

koleoptero
March 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
When you manage to start ubuntu hit ctrl+alt+f4 to go to a shell. Login using your details, and then to delete the panel configurations:

cd ~/.gnome2
rm -fr panel2.d
cd ~/.gconf/apps
rm -fr panel

then to restart the system:

sudo shutdown -r now

and I believe you'll be OK when you log back in.

pidu87
March 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
When you manage to start ubuntu hit ctrl+alt+f4 to go to a shell. Login using your details, and then to delete the panel configurations:

cd ~/.gnome2
rm -fr panel2.d
cd ~/.gconf/apps
rm -fr panel

then to restart the system:

sudo shutdown -r now

and I believe you'll be OK when you log back in.

BINGO, you are the MAN!!!!!! THAT WORKED!!!!!

Thank you so MUCH!