PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem mounting windows share in fstab

Colci
March 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I want to access one directory and two drives on a windows xp machine on the home network. So I read a lot and altered by fstab as follows

//xpcomputer/XPCMusic /media/netstorage/XPCMusic cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

//xpcomputer/Softlib /media/netstorage/softlib cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

//xpcomputer/XPCPhotos /media/netstorage/XPChotos cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

No problem with the photos directory, I can get into that a see everything that is on the drive, even in sub-directories. On the softlib I cannot see anything whereas on the Music drive I can see a list of all the top level directories but no more. As far as I can see all permissions etc, on the xp computer are identical. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

cjhabs
March 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I want to access one directory and two drives on a windows xp machine on the home network. So I read a lot and altered by fstab as follows

//xpcomputer/XPCMusic /media/netstorage/XPCMusic cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

//xpcomputer/Softlib /media/netstorage/softlib cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

//xpcomputer/XPCPhotos /media/netstorage/XPChotos cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

No problem with the photos directory, I can get into that a see everything that is on the drive, even in sub-directories. On the softlib I cannot see anything whereas on the Music drive I can see a list of all the top level directories but no more. As far as I can see all permissions etc, on the xp computer are identical. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Maybe it is the share permissions of the folders on the XP box.

Colci
March 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Maybe it is the share permissions of the folders on the XP box.

Thanks but no the permissions are the same on the XP computer. If I connect via nautilus via "connect to server" & "windows shares" I can browse these drives, the directories and sub-directories and read the files. Everything seems identical and I cannot understand why the photos drive is fully accessable but the other two not.