PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing a linksys WMP300N on Ubuntu 9.10 (chili555)

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Chili555, i am great_canadian from the irc channel

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Please do:
sudo rmmod -f b43 ssb
sudo modprobe wl
sudo lshw -C networkThe first two may produce no output, but please post the lshw. Thanks.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo rmmod -f b43 ssb
ERROR: Removing 'b43': No such file or directory
ERROR: Removing 'ssb': No such file or directory
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo modprobe wl
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:02:01.0
logical name: eth0
version: 00
serial: 00:11:2f:2a:b2:39
size: 1GB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000 driverversion=7.3.21-k3-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.102 latency=0 link=yes mingnt=255 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1GB/s
resources: irq:18 memory:fe9e0000-fe9fffff ioport:cf80(size=32)
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM43XG
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 9
bus info: pci@0000:03:09.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
configuration: latency=64
resources: memory:feaf8000-feafbfff

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapperDid you already try ndiswrapper? What was your experience? What does this tell us?
ndiswrapper -lAlso, please edit the title of the thread to take my name out. I really don't want people calling me out for help, except you, of course.

I'm still trying to figure out why wl doesn't grab this card.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I had previously tried these intructions that i kept finding from doing searches. The ones from anewguy http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=539208

dave@dave-desktop:/$ ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4329) present (alternate driver: ssb)

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Please do:
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfigDo you have a wireless interfcase, wlan0, perhaps?

Also, please let me see:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
[sudo] password for dave:
dave@dave-desktop:/$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

dave@dave-desktop:/$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
alias pci:v000014E4d00004329sv00000060sd00001737bc*sc*i* ndiswrapper
alias pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i* ndiswrapper
dave@dave-desktop:/$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
# broadcom default no firmware, using ndiswrapper instead
blacklist bcm43xx

dave@dave-desktop:/$

Also I can't seem to get the topic to change.....i thought it would be simple and was my plan once you had found the thread.....do i need to make a request to a mod to get the original topic modified?

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
If this works, I will fall off my chair:
alias pci:v000014E4d00004329sv00000060sd00001737bc*sc*i* ndiswrapper
alias pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i* ndiswrapperI believe the first line is a typo. We shall find out. Please do:
ls /etc/modprobe.d Do you have both a blacklist and a blacklist.conf?

sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
sudo gedit /etc/modulesIf it is not there already, add:
ndiswrapperProofread, save and close gedit. Post back and let me know.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM
dave@dave-desktop:/$ ls /etc/modprobe.d
alsa-base.conf blacklist-firewire.conf dkms.conf
blacklist blacklist-framebuffer.conf libpisock9.conf
blacklist-ath_pci.conf blacklist-modem.conf ndiswrapper.conf
blacklist-bcm43.conf blacklist-oss.conf
blacklist.conf blacklist-watchdog.conf
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
mv: cannot stat `/etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper': No such file or directory
dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo gedit /etc/modules

This was the gedit file i added ndiswrapper at the bottom as it was not there.... I then clicked save and closed it

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
sbp2
ndiswrapper

I think you are probably aware and perhaps had me remove the driver at some point but I admit i am lost and just following instructions at this point, but you know when you go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers...the only only that appears now is that broadcom STA wireless driver....but it doesn't seem to have a matching chipset in the list it gives in the description .....it now list this one as the active driver and the other is just no longer there

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Wow! You have a lot going on there:
blacklist blacklist-bcm43.conf blacklist.confLet's see:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.confWe will do some more housecleaning after we see that file.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Lol yeah thats the problem when you don't understand what a command is doing you can't even guess when you are doing things to help or hinder.

This was the result of that command

dave@dave-desktop:/$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
# Warning: This file is autogenerated by bcmwl-kernel-source. All changes to this file will be lost.
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb
blacklist bcm43xx

Also i edited my above post with more info for you that you may already be aware of or are expecting but thought I would let you know whats happening

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Please do:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistReboot and tell me what's happening with the wireless.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hey you got something working now just not sure how much

If I go to System>Adminisration>Network it now show the Wireless Connnection, Wired Connection, and Point to Point connection icons.... in the past the wireless one was never there.

Also now when I go to System> Administration>Window Wireless Drivers it opens and shows me an icon and says bcmwl5 and it say hardware present: yes
....in the past when i tried opening that it always gave a warning at the beginning that it could not determine it hardware was present.

Lastly the System>Administration>Hardware Drivers ....is still reporting the same broadcom STA driver as currently being active but not in use

I am not sure if that mean problem is solved and I just need to learn how to enable and connect to my wireless or if we have more to do yet.

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Do you see the Network Manager icon at the top right? After you disconnect the ethernet cable, click the icon, see your network and connect. Post back to report your success!

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
No can't get it to connect.

up in the top toolbar or whatever you call it there is a black square void which I am assuming is normally where the network connection status is

If I go to System>Adminitration>Network....i have to click wireless and go to properties then if I uncheck roaming mode and click on the drop arrow for the network name it does see my network and I have tried both setting it to WPA2 and WPA with my network key but it just says
NETWORK disconnected you are now offline

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
up in the top toolbar or whatever you call it there is a black square voidSee if you can right click it and add a notification area. Network Manager should be one of the things that appears. If not, try to add it in the notification area. NM will look like two computer monitors with an X in it.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
No network manager in the list that comes up, just network monitor that looks like two extension cords plugged together....also I accidentally hit something that removed my display setting button and 1 other that I don't know what it was, still have the date,time and mail ones though

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
You did this first, right?

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Ah yes that restored the icons that went missing

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ah yes that restored the icons that went missingNow, I suggest you detach the wire and try to connect.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 09:37 PM
OK so got the notification area restored and then got the options to connect to wired or wireless connections.....

I am now able to connect to my wireless network only if I disable the WPA security.....but if it is enabled then the network monitor icon just spins forever and then says not connected....is there a limit to the level of encryption that Ubuntu wireless drivers can handle?

I am currently submitting this post over my wireless network

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
is there a limit to the level of encryption that Ubuntu wireless drivers can handle?It depends on the driver and the card; however, you are using Windows drivers within ndiswrapper. You can, with some drivers, see what your card and driver can do with:
sudo iwlist wlan0 authMine, as an example, says:
wlan0 Authentication capabilities :
WPA
WPA2
CIPHER-TKIP
CIPHER-CCMPAre you sure your encryption method and password all match, in the router and NM? PSK vs. TKIP vs. whatever?

NM is twitchy and a bit slow, but it should connect in a minute or so.

I am very glad that the wireless is at least working!

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yes that is finally some good news.....thanks for sticking with it for so long ....much appreciated

Okay so i get the following

dave@dave-desktop:/$ sudo iwlist wlan0 auth
[sudo] password for dave:
wlan0 Authentication capabilities :
WPA
WPA2
CIPHER-TKIP
CIPHER-CCMP
Current WPA version :
WPA
Current Key management :
PSK
Current Pairwise cipher :
TKIP
Current Pairwise cipher :
TKIP
Current Authentication algorithm :
open

Looks like I should be able handle wpa2 on TKIP but perhaps not AES
but as soon as I put encryption back on my network I can't connect to it even though I do get a prompt asking for my network key.

The prompt recognizes that it is WPA or WPA2 i have turned it down to just WPA thinking that it couldn't handle it but it just keeps trying to connect and asks me for the password/network key over and over

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
When you right-click NM and edit connections-wireless, is NM trying to use the ndiswrapper driver for WPA or wext? Whichever it is, please try the other.

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know I don't see anything that says ndiswrapper....only time I have seen that is when typed in terminal....other then that I haven't seen it again

DogoDave
March 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I rebooted to see if perhaps it just needed to refresh itself like so often happens with windows when playing with network settings....

anyway now up in the NM icon it just says Wireless Networks and then grayed out it says "device not managed" and it won't even show anything else but it is showing enabled when you right click the NM icon

chili555
March 7th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Please post:
lsmod | grep ndisAre you looking in NM for wireless when the ethernet cable is attached?

I will change to my one computer with NM and try to get more information.

chili555
March 8th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Sorry, NM does not allow you to specify the WPA driver, Wicd, does. I am continuing to google. I hope this behavior is not a quirk with Broadcom cards that use ndiswrapper.

While we are at it, please do:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.confChange it to:
alias pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i* ndiswrapperIn other words, remove the first, longer line. Proofread, save and close gedit.

I am not confident it will make a difference in connecting, but, as I said, we shall see.

chili555
March 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Please post:
ls /etc/ndiswrapperIf one of the folders inside is bcmw15, please post:
ls /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmw15Thanks.

chili555
March 8th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I would also like to see, while the router is set for WPA, the result after you try and fail to connect:
sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e wlan -e ndisThanks.

We will either conquer this or kill your keyboard trying!

DogoDave
March 8th, 2010, 04:52 AM
OKay

First command

dave@dave-desktop:/$ lsmod | grep ndis
ndiswrapper 185532 0

Second Command

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf

performed and file edited as specified first line removed and other entry matches what you posted saved and exited.

Third Command(s)

dave@dave-desktop:/$ ls /etc/ndiswrapper
bcmwl5
dave@dave-desktop:/$ ls /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmw15
ls: cannot access /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmw15: No such file or directory

Forth Command

sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e wlan -e ndis

Are you sure you want me to post this its about 50+ lines or so that look like this
port 67 interval 4
Mar 7 16:26:47 dave-desktop dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Mar 7 16:26:55 dave-desktop dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
Mar 7 16:27:08 dave-desktop dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11

Also I couldn't do it after a connect and fail because the wireless functionality has just disappeared ....now when I click on the NM icon under where it says Wireless Networks it just has grayed out text saying "device not managed" and it won't let me do anything with it. Also System>Adminitration>Network doesn't matter if I select the wireless network set it to roam enable or specify the network setting, or if the check box is checked or not makes no difference at this time. NM just continues to say that the device is not managed and I can no longer get any sort of wireless activity to occur.

To answer your question, Yes I am and have done both,....disconnected the ethernet cable and tried as well as just disconnected via the option disconnect in NM and tried connecting wireless....In both instances it reacted the same way connecting briefly and then disconnecting and unable to remain connected....when the ethernet was still in it would then revert back to the Auto eth0.,....that was until i reboot and lost wireless all together again.

Had to leave for a birthday party ...will keep checking this thread and plugging away ....but please if it is driving me nuts and its my problem, it can't be any fun for you, so don't kill yourself on this. Thanks again

-TJ
March 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have the same problem working the WMP300N my Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop 64Bit. Is it alright if I may also join this discussion? I also need help... Or we could start a new thread here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424336

YMS_1975
March 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Didn't feel the need to start a new thread since this one was here. I've done a lshw -c network, and here are the results.

I do NOT have a wired connection, and would like to get this up and running.
The funny thing is, I had Karmic Koala up and running on this pc before. I had uninstalled it, but would like it back up and running as it was before.

Why won't it see my network card?

chili555
March 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Didn't feel the need to start a new thread since this one was here. I've done a lshw -c network, and here are the results.

I do NOT have a wired connection, and would like to get this up and running.
The funny thing is, I had Karmic Koala up and running on this pc before. I had uninstalled it, but would like it back up and running as it was before.

Why won't it see my network card?Does it need firmware? Please do:
dmesg | grep b43Does it complain about not finding the needed firmware? Can we get it and transfer it with a USB key?

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
Does it need firmware? Please do:
dmesg | grep b43Does it complain about not finding the needed firmware? Can we get it and transfer it with a USB key?

Chili555 --- Old friend, how are you? Not sure if you remember or not, but you helped save me before (when I had the exact same problem with my laptop). You're definitely a big help to both me & the rest of the Ubuntu community. :D

As for the message that code generated, see the attachment to this post.
Do I have a USB key? Not quite. I've got my laptop next to the boys PC (the one that's having this problem) and I type in what you tell me to, do a screen capture, burn it to CD, put the CD in my laptop and upload it via my laptop.

It's tedious, but without a wired connection, it's all I've got.

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Chili555 --- Old friend, how are you? Not sure if you remember or not, but you helped save me before (when I had the exact same problem with my laptop). You're definitely a big help. :D

As for the message that code generated, see the attachment to this post.
Do I have a USB key? Not quite. I've got my laptop next to the boys PC (the one that's having this problem) and I type in what you tell me to, do a screen capture, burn it to CD, put the CD in my laptop and upload it via my laptop.

It's tedious, but without a wired connection, it's all I've got.Attachment not included.

You don't need a screen capture. You can do:
command > command.txtBurn the text file to CD. You can also copy and paste from the terminal to a text document. You could, for example, do:
iwconfig
lsmod
uname -rThen copy each individually to one big text document. If it's very long, post it as an attachment or use: http://paste.ubuntu.com/ Great to see you again, my friend!

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Attachment not included.

You don't need a screen capture. You can do:
command > command.txtBurn the text file to CD. You can also copy and paste from the terminal to a text document. You could, for example, do:
iwconfig
lsmod
uname -rThen copy each individually to one big text document. If it's very long, post it as an attachment or use: http://paste.ubuntu.com/ Great to see you again, my friend!

Wouldn't you know it? As soon as I posted the message, I realized that I did not attach the file, then I had a media error. Took a while to find another blank CD.

Anyways, it's posted up now.

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
I've got my laptop next to the boys PC (the one that's having this problem)Do you have the ability to connect his computer to the ethernet connection and do:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-sourceYou might have to do:
sudo rmmod -f b43
sudo modprobe wl

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Do you have the ability to connect his computer to the ethernet connection and do:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-sourceYou might have to do:
sudo rmmod -f b43
sudo modprobe wl

that's the problem, I can't connect it to the ethernet cable. it's all the way downstairs.

I only have my laptop next to this PC. My laptop has wireless access. Is there anything we can do to fix this?

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Burn to a CD from here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bcmwl-kernel-source

Be sure to get the i386 or x86_64 version matching his machine. Be sure to get all the dependencies, dkms, libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev. Generic headers will do no good. Run:
uname -ron his machine and grab the linux headers to match. For example, linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic.

Install with:
sudo dpkg -i *.debIf you get stuck .... well, you know.

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
Burn to a CD from here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bcmwl-kernel-source

Be sure to get the i386 or x86_64 version matching his machine. Be sure to get all the dependencies, dkms, libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev. Generic headers will do no good. Run:
uname -ron his machine and grab the linux headers to match. For example, linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic.

Install with:
sudo dpkg -i *.debIf you get stuck .... well, you know.

Followed everything you said to a tee (or so I believe), and I got this message.

See the attached.

EDIT : You can disregard the attachment. I opened up a terminal, typed in "sudo dpkg -i" and then dragged the file next to that, and then it did something. LOL....ummm, I did this indvidually for each file, and yes it seemed to do something. Then I tried going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and it now states "Broadcom STA wireless driver" (and that definitely wasn't showing up before)...so it did SOMETHING.

I tried to activate it, then rebooted but nothing happened. :(

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Here's what shows up now...(which wasn't there before).

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
First, drag and drop the files from the CD to your desktop. Next, open the terminal and change to the directory where the files are now located:
cd DesktopSometimes, when files get written to, and transferred from a CD, they are "read only." Let's not take any chances:
sudo chmod 777 *.debAnd now, let's install them in mass:
sudo dpkg -i *.debAny improvement?

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
First, drag and drop the files from the CD to your desktop. Next, open the terminal and change to the directory where the files are now located:
cd DesktopSometimes, when files get written to, and transferred from a CD, they are "read only." Let's not take any chances:
sudo chmod 777 *.debAnd now, let's install them in mass:
sudo dpkg -i *.debAny improvement?

I installed them, although....they seemed to install one by one, instead of all at once. I got an error message when doing it all at once saying :

dpkg : error processing *.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
*.deb

But they did install one by one, because the box came up, and I clicked on Install Package for each file.

So I know they installed.

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM
Now can you activate the STA driver? If not, please try:
sudo rmmod -f b43
sudo modprobe wlThat's WL, not W-one. Now does Network Manager give you an option to connect? If this does it, we can blacklist b43.

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Now can you activate the STA driver? If not, please try:
sudo rmmod -f b43
sudo modprobe wlThat's WL, not W-one. Now does Network Manager give you an option to connect? If this does it, we can blacklist b43.

Nope.

For the first sudo command I get :

ERROR : Removing 'b43': No such file or directory

And for the second sudo command I get :

FATAL : Module wl not found.

:confused:

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Let's reboot and refresh our beverages; chocolate milk for the boy, please!

Now, let's see:
dmesg | grep -e b43 -e wl > dmesg.txtMove dmesg.txt to a CD and post it here.

I assume your absence was to buy a CD-RW?!

YMS_1975
March 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Let's reboot and refresh our beverages; chocolate milk for the boy, please!

Now, let's see:
dmesg | grep -e b43 -e wl > dmesg.txtMove dmesg.txt to a CD and post it here.

I assume your absence was to buy a CD-RW?!

LOL....not quite. Had to pick up some quick groceries for wifey. She's not too pleased with me at the moment, as I've been on the boys PC trying to figure out how to get this thing to work for two days now.

For some reason, it doesn't wanna upload the .txt file, so I'll just copy and paste it from the CD.

Hmmmm.....for some reason, it's blank.

chili555
March 21st, 2010, 11:52 PM
Please run the following:
iwconfig > iwconfig.txt
dmesg > dmesg.txt
lsmod > lsmod.txt
sudo lshw -C network > network.txt
cat iwconfig.txt dmesg.txt lsmod.txt network.txt > test.txt
zip test.zip test.txtAttach test.zip to your reply. I am going a bit overboard, because there are only so many blank CDs in the world and your son needs his college fund.

chili555
March 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I will be looking forward to your test.zip in order to proceed. I am anxious to get your son into the Ubuntu family!

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I will be looking forward to your test.zip in order to proceed. I am anxious to get your son into the Ubuntu family!

Ok boss,

Here it is....test.zip! :)

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 02:49 AM
It looks like you installed ndiswrapper to try to get it going. What does the command:
ndiswrapper -lsay to us? You can jot it down on a postit. They are cheaper than CDs.

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 02:52 AM
It looks like you installed ndiswrapper to try to get it going. What does the command:
ndiswrapper -lsay to us? You can jot it down on a postit. They are cheaper than CDs.

If I type in "ndiswrapper -l" it says :

"The program 'ndiswrapper' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing : sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common.
ndiswrapper: command not found"

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Here is a part of your lsmod:
i2c_viapro 7312 0
gameport 11368 1 snd_via82xx
ndiswrapper 185404 0
ppdev 6688 0
joydev 10272 0 I wonder how the module loaded if the package is not even installed? Post, from a postit:
ls /etc/modprobe.d | grep -e black -e ndisThanks.

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Here is a part of your lsmod:I wonder how the module loaded if the package is not even installed? Post, from a postit:
ls /etc/modprobe.d | grep -e black -e ndisThanks.

blacklist-ath_pci.conf
blacklist-bcm43.conf
blacklist.conf
blacklist-firewire.conf
blacklist-framebuffer.conf
blacklist-modem.conf
blacklist-oss.conf
blacklist-watchdog.conf

[Manually typed out : hope there's no typos]

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Looks good to me! What is the outcome of:
sudo modprobe wl

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Looks good to me! What is the outcome of:
sudo modprobe wl

FATAL: Module wl not found.

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Let's search for it:
sudo updatedb
locate wl.koMy result, for comparison, is:
/lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/2.6.31-19-generic/i686/module/wl.ko
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/2.6.31-20-generic/i686/module/wl.ko
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/.wl.ko.cmdThe one I highlighted is the one I just modprobed without error.

The .ko extension is not needed in modprobe.

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Let's search for it:
sudo updatedb
locate wl.koMy result, for comparison, is:The one I highlighted is the one I just modprobed without error.

The .ko extension is not needed in modprobe.

/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/wireless-iwl-power.conf
/home/yousaf/Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/gpio/twl4030-gpio.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/input/misc/twl4030-pwrbutton.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rndis_wlan.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl3501_cs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl3945.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlcore.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/wl12xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/rtc/rtc-twl4030.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/wlan-ng
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/wlan-ng/prism2_usb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/otg/twl4030-usb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/uwb/wlp
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/uwb/i1480/i1480u-wlp
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/uwb/i1480/i1480u-wlp/i1480u-wlp.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/uwb/wlp/wlp.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/watchdog/twl4030_wdt.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_wlc.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-twl4030.ko
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-2510p_2530p
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-compaq_elitebook
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-pavilion
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-presario-2100
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-tablet
/lib/udev/keymaps/hewlett-packard-tx2
/sbin/iwlist
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/program/libchartviewli.so
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/program/libfwlli.so
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/program/libswli.so
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/share/gallery/www-graf/ylwleft.gif
/usr/lib/perl/5.10.0/B/Showlex.pm
/usr/lib/purple-2/newline.so
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/lowlevel.py
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/lowlevel.pyc
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kwlan.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/twlog.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_share_qGo_pics_Bowl.png
/usr/share/app-install/icons/kwlan.png
/usr/share/app-install/icons/twlog.png
/usr/share/aspell/en-common.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_0.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_1.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en-variant_2.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_CA-w_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_CA-wo_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_GB-ise-w_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_GB-ise-wo_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_GB-ize-w_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_GB-ize-wo_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_US-w_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/aspell/en_US-wo_accents-only.cwl.gz
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-kernel-source
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-modaliases
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-kernel-source/README
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-kernel-source/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-kernel-source/copyright
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-modaliases/README
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-modaliases/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bcmwl-modaliases/copyright
/usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/iwlwifi
/usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/iwlwifi/LICENSE.iwlwifi-ucode
/usr/share/doc/wamerican/wamerican.scowl-word-lists-used
/usr/share/doc/wbritish/wbritish.scowl-word-lists-used
/usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/lib/gs_wl1_e.ps
/usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/lib/gs_wl2_e.ps
/usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/lib/gs_wl5_e.ps
/usr/share/gnome/help/gnome-access-guide/C/figures/stickywindowlatch.png
/usr/share/gnome/help/gnome-access-guide/C/figures/stickywindowlock.png
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-iwl-rfkill-switch.fdi
/usr/share/jockey/handlers/broadcom_wl.py
/usr/share/jockey/handlers/broadcom_wl.pyc
/usr/share/jockey/modaliases/bcmwl
/usr/share/laptop-mode-tools/modules/wireless-iwl-power
/usr/share/man/cs/man8/iwlist.8.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man8/iwlist.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/iwlist.8.gz
/usr/share/pyshared/dbus/lowlevel.py
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/HPcalc
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/HPservice
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/HPsym
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/HPtexchars
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/HPtif
/usr/share/sgml/entities/Hewlett-Packard/catalog
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/Makefile
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/dkms.conf
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/lib
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/lib/LICENSE.txt
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/lib/wlc_hybrid.o_shipped_i386
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches/0001-MODULE_LICENSE.patch
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches/0002-Makefile.patch
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches/0003-DEV_WL_IF.patch
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches/0004-broadcom-sta-5.10.91.9-linux-2.6.30.patch
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/patches/0005-NET_DEVICE_OPS.patch
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/shared
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/bcmdefs.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/bcmendian.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/bcmutils.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/bcmwifi.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/epivers.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/linux_osl.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/linuxver.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/osl.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/pcicfg.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/typedefs.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/wlioctl.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/802.11.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/802.1d.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/bcmeth.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/bcmevent.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/ethernet.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/include/proto/wpa.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/shared/linux_osl.c
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_dbg.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_export.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wlc_key.h
/usr/src/bcmwl-5.10.91.9+bdcom/src/wl/sys/wlc_pub.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/arch/blackfin/include/asm/rwlock.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/arch/x86/include/asm/rwlock.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/Kconfig
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/Kconfig
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/staging/wlan-ng
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/staging/wlan-ng/Kconfig
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/staging/wlan-ng/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/uwb/wlp
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/uwb/i1480/i1480u-wlp
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/uwb/i1480/i1480u-wlp/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/drivers/uwb/wlp/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/include/linux/wlp.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/include/linux/i2c/twl4030.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14/include/linux/spi/wl12xx.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl3945
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl3945.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl4965.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl5000.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwlagn.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwlwifi
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwlwifi.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/mwl8k.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/twl4030
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/wl12xx.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/wlan
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/gpio/twl4030.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/input/twl4030
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/input/twl4030/pwrbutton.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/ip/vs/wlc.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl3945/spectrum
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwl3945/spectrum/measurement.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/iwlwifi/leds.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/mtd/ubi/wl
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/mtd/ubi/wl/threshold.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/pcmcia/wl3501.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/regulator/twl4030.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/rtc/drv/twl4030.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/scsi/lowlevel
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/scsi/lowlevel.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/scsi/lowlevel/pcmcia.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/snd/soc/twl4030.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/twl4030/core.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/twl4030/usb.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/twl4030/watchdog.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/usb/net/rndis/wlan.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/usb/serial/keyspan/usa49wlc.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/uwb/wlp.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/uwb/i1480u/wlp.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/wlan/80211.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/config/wlan/pre80211.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic/include/linux/wlp.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/source
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/Makefile
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/dkms.conf
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/lib
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/lib/LICENSE.txt
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/lib/wlc_hybrid.o_shipped_i386
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches/0001-MODULE_LICENSE.patch
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches/0002-Makefile.patch
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches/0003-DEV_WL_IF.patch
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches/0004-broadcom-sta-5.10.91.9-linux-2.6.30.patch
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/patches/0005-NET_DEVICE_OPS.patch
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/shared
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/bcmdefs.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/bcmendian.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/bcmutils.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/bcmwifi.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/epivers.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/linux_osl.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/linuxver.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/osl.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/pcicfg.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/typedefs.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/wlioctl.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/802.11.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/802.1d.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/bcmeth.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/bcmevent.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/ethernet.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/include/proto/wpa.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/shared/linux_osl.c
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_dbg.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_export.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wlc_key.h
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wlc_pub.h
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-modaliases.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-modaliases.md5sums

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Please do:
locate dkmsJust tell me if you see this:
/lib/modules/<whatever>/updates/dkms/And this:
/usr/sbin/dkmsYes or no will be sufficient.

Did you install it from Ubuntu package search?

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Please do:
locate dkmsJust tell me if you see this:And this:Yes or no will be sufficient.

Did you install it from Ubuntu package search?

Neither of those terms showed up.

Wow this is confusing.

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Please do:
sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb Any errors or missing dependencies?

You can actually just do:
sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwlPress Tab and the rest will fill in. Press Enter and note any errors.

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Please do:
sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb Any errors or missing dependencies?

You can actually just do:
sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwlPress Tab and the rest will fill in. Press Enter and note any errors.

When I type in : sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb...here's what i get :

yousaf@yousaf-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 114126 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bcmwl-kernel-source 5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4 (using .../bcmwl-kernel-source_5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Unpacking replacement bcmwl-kernel-source ...
Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (5.10.91.9+bdcom-0ubuntu4) ...
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build
/usr/sbin/dkms: line 35: patch: command not found

Error! Application of patch 0001-MODULE_LICENSE.patch failed.
Check /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.10.91.9+bdcom/build/ for more information.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate wl.ko for module bcmwl in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (i686) first.
Done.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
yousaf@yousaf-desktop:~$

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Please see post #40. You must get and install all the dependencies: dkms, libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev. Linux-headers you correctly have. Until each and every of these are installed and any dependencies they may have that are not currently on your system, we are destined to :confused:

Please try again.

YMS_1975
March 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Please see post #40. You must get and install all the dependencies: dkms, libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev. Linux-headers you correctly have. Until each and every of these are installed and any dependencies they may have that are not currently on your system, we are destined to :confused:

Please try again.

Ok....I'll try that again tomorrow.

It's getting late (damn). :(

Kids wanna sleep. LOL.

I'll do it step by step tomorrow, and post the results.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for your help though.
This is definitely not easy (for me). You're helping a lot.

:)

chili555
March 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Here is my suggested approach to getting your son's wireless going.

First of all, I am not at all sure that bcmwl-kernel-source will actually drive the device. However, your dmesg in post #35 says it's a Broadcom 4321. The description for bcmwl-kernel-source says, "These package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware." So, it should work; however, many searches suggest the method that works is ndiswrapper. We shall see.

First, you need to install all the packages that are dependencies of bcmwl-kernel-source. It won't work otherwise. Check the dependencies here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bcmwl-kernel-source

The little red balls indicate that these are REQUIRED. I know from your posts that you have the correct linux-headers package. I suspect that the installation of dkms might fix it, but, until you can install bcmwl-kernel-source without error or complaint, the driver will not function correctly.

Some of the packages you are going to install may complain about other missing dependencies. If so, I'd try to get them from the install CD. Drop it in the tray and do:

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install <whatever_is_missing>

apt-get will whine about not being able to reach the internet, but that may be safely ignored. If the package is available on the CD, it will install it. If not, you will have to go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ and find it.

Once that is all done, do:

sudo modprobe wl
iwconfig
You will know you have done the work correctly when wl installs with no complaint. Do you have a wireless interface, wlan0, perhaps? Can you click the Network Manager icon and connect?

If not, we will do some troubleshooting and think about ndiswrapper.

YMS_1975
March 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Here is my suggested approach to getting your son's wireless going.

First of all, I am not at all sure that bcmwl-kernel-source will actually drive the device. However, your dmesg in post #35 says it's a Broadcom 4321. The description for bcmwl-kernel-source says, "These package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware." So, it should work; however, many searches suggest the method that works is ndiswrapper. We shall see.

First, you need to install all the packages that are dependencies of bcmwl-kernel-source. It won't work otherwise. Check the dependencies here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/bcmwl-kernel-source

The little red balls indicate that these are REQUIRED. I know from your posts that you have the correct linux-headers package. I suspect that the installation of dkms might fix it, but, until you can install bcmwl-kernel-source without error or complaint, the driver will not function correctly.

Some of the packages you are going to install may complain about other missing dependencies. If so, I'd try to get them from the install CD. Drop it in the tray and do:

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install <whatever_is_missing>

apt-get will whine about not being able to reach the internet, but that may be safely ignored. If the package is available on the CD, it will install it. If not, you will have to go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ and find it.

Once that is all done, do:

sudo modprobe wl
iwconfig
You will know you have done the work correctly when wl installs with no complaint. Do you have a wireless interface, wlan0, perhaps? Can you click the Network Manager icon and connect?

If not, we will do some troubleshooting and think about ndiswrapper.

Hey Bill,

I've tried doing this but nothing seems to work. Can I call you, or you call me (like last time)? :D