PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Image files not visible, everything on desktop disappearing,.

pj_kare
March 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Until now (over 2 months) Karmic has been running fine on my machine, I have a terribly slow and time-limited dial-up Internet connection which I share with my GF (she goes online for a while then I go on etc.) so don't really allow updates, apart from installing GnomePPP and its dependencies and Firefox updates, it's basically a clean install.

Now when I open "Pictures" folder I can't see the image files and the animated "busy" cursor sits there spinning indefinitely. It's not until I open a sub-folder (in which files are visible) and then navigating back that the image files become visible.

Also, I have had a couple of times when everything on the desktop disappears, Launchers, drive icons, and even wallpaper.

I am currently allowing GDM and Nautilus to update, but It's killing my attempt to post this message. (I mean I can barely use Firefox or do anything else online when updates are running). Hopefully the updates may fix my problem, otherwise I may have to resort to a format and re-install, which is no real biggie ( I have become quite proficient at it). I may even go back to Jaunty for now.

Otherwise, any immediate help would be greatly appreciated :).

ajgreeny
March 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
It could be a graphics card problem. What hardware do you have?

I suspect that it may be an ATI card, which can have similar problems with display artifacts like this, depending on your settings. A manual edit of xorg.conf may help, but let's know more about the problem.

pj_kare
March 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
It could be a graphics card problem. What hardware do you have?

I suspect that it may be an ATI card, which can have similar problems with display artifacts like this, depending on your settings. A manual edit of xorg.conf may help, but let's know more about the problem.

Thanks for the reply ajgreeny hopefully it's not the graphics card or any other hardware problem, though anythings possible. Although in this instance graphics still fine on the darkside. (In Xp).

System is a non-brand build machine, 2.8 gig P4, 2gig ram, foxconn mobo, upgraded to a BenQ HD lcd monitor a while back and had to upgrade graphics card to Nvidia Geforce 6200, 512mb card, as previous card wouldn't support lcd's resolution, or HDMI.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM
This happens to me on Karmic. At times a single folder will not open, but killing and restarting nautilus or logging out will work. Also, please ensure you have permissions on the directory. I assume you do but it never hurts to check.

pj_kare
March 8th, 2010, 06:01 AM
This happens to me on Karmic. At times a single folder will not open, but killing and restarting nautilus or logging out will work. Also, please ensure you have permissions on the directory. I assume you do but it never hurts to check.

Thankyou NightwishFan, I think permissions are all ok. Or at least I haven't tried to change any from their default.

After updating GDM and Nautilus, Pictures seem to be showing up ok for now, as for the desktop disappearing I just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Rasa1111
March 8th, 2010, 06:15 AM
wow, props to you for getting dial up going!! :lol:

i literally tried for a week straight. lol

i have also been on dial up for some time,
but when i realized it would take more skills than what ive got to get it going,
i ordered DSL.. just so i could use Ubuntu . lol

sounds like your updates may have worked...
here's hoping , anyway...

cheers. :)

pj_kare
March 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
wow, props to you for getting dial up going!! :lol:

i literally tried for a week straight. lol

i have also been on dial up for some time,
but when i realized it would take more skills than what ive got to get it going,
i ordered DSL.. just so i could use Ubuntu . lol

sounds like your updates may have worked...
here's hoping , anyway...

cheers. :)

Setting up dialup was a breeze (easy) on an external netcomm/banksia modem, at least after trying to get the internal motorola (winmodem) to work.(And after help from this forum). It was a case of have to.. as we live on a farm 13km from town and the phone lines are old and not capable of carrying broadband. There is only 1 (expensive) carrier that supplies wireless to our area, so dialup it is. Setting up modem can be done in a few minutes now I know what I'm doing.

On the original subject: System is still holding up OK after being on/used most of the day.