PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtual Desktop Problem

brommage
March 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hey all--

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I've been Googling for a few weeks with no luck.

I'm currently running KDE 4.4.1. Back in 4.3.2 (?) when plasma was fully implemented, I went ahead and began playing with the virtual desktops. At the time I created several different desktops (one for music, one for work, etc.), and switching between them was easy and efficient. Each one had a different background and widgets catered to whatever I had to do (for ease, let's call these 'types' of desktops).

After upgrade to 4.4, something got borked. Now when I switch between desktops, it switches between four versions of the same thing (all four have the same background and widgets--call them four 'token' desktops). Now I have to zoom out and then back in to get to a different 'type' of desktop, or to change activities. But sometimes, after zooming out, there are some desktops on which I cannot re-zoom in. Simply, the icons to zoom in are not there. I have to log out and log back in to get to those desktops. This is becoming quite a pain.

I'd like to restore it to the point that when I switch, it switches among the four types of desktops, not the four tokens of each. I've tried deleting and hand-editing the different parameters in the ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc file, no luck. Rather than just deleting the whole damn directory and starting fresh--which I was tempted to do--I figured I'd see if anyone has any idea what I should do. What rc files are responsible here, and/or what is the fix?

Please help me restore KDE to its original ease and luster!

Thanks!

brommage
March 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Update: I deleted all the plasma* rc files from .kde/share/config, and switched from compiz back to kwin, and most of the problems were solved.