PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubuntu devs work on weekends till LTS release?

kahumba
March 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Since it's an LTS, would it be good for Lucid if the devs would work on weekends as well till Lucid goes gold to make sure it is as polished as possible when released?

I'm wondering what the community thinks?

Technoviking
March 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I don't think burning out the devs will make Ubuntu any better in the long run. The devs are humans like you and me, who have the same needs of rest and relaxation to function.

T-V

DoctorMO
March 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I want to see the poll:

"Should Ubuntu users pay per release to hire more developers to speed up development."

But only about half of people are sensible enough to commit to such a program. Everyone else wants to freeload.

2hot6ft2
March 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I don't know where you got the idea that they don't work weekends as it is but I vote
Other: The OP should throw a few bundles of cash their way as an incentive.:D

castrojo
March 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
The OP should throw a few bundles of cash their way as an incentive.:D

... or just dive in and help fix things!

caryb
March 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM
My personal opinion only is that it is rude to ask....
A) volunteers to work any hours at all. As they are volunteers it's up to them to set there priority's.
B) Paid staff should have weekends & stat holidays.

If we are that tight to deadlines I believe we should do like Dapper & put off the release for a few weeks.

Cary

autocrosser
March 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
WE should help as much as WE can...As for the Devs--IF THEY want to work all hours to "get it done"---THAT IS THEIR CALL---NO ONE ELSE. It is a un-grateful position (at least as far as 90% of the users think) for the Devs.....I think that they should be allowed the dignity to make the call themselves......

With that thought in mind---I think that this poll & thread should be closed......PERIOD.

caryb
March 5th, 2010, 09:59 PM
we should help as much as we can...as for the devs--if they want to work all hours to "get it done"---that is their call---no one else. It is a un-grateful position (at least as far as 90% of the users think) for the devs.....i think that they should be allowed the dignity to make the call themselves......

with that thought in mind---i think that this poll & thread should be closed......period.

+1

rob martin
March 5th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm really not sure where the premise behind this question comes from.

Are not the devs entitled, like you & I for a weekend, time to relax, meet family and friends and refresh ready for a new week?

Irihapeti
March 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Who am I to tell someone else how to spend their time?

Ptero-4
March 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
we should help as much as we can...as for the devs--if they want to work all hours to "get it done"---that is their call---no one else. It is a un-grateful position (at least as far as 90% of the users think) for the devs.....i think that they should be allowed the dignity to make the call themselves......

With that thought in mind---i think that this poll & thread should be closed......period.
+1.

kansasnoob
March 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
That's horrible! I worked a job where we often worked 12 hours a day and I drew the line at anything in excess of 28 days straight.

I'd just tell them I wouldn't be there and if they didn't like it they could fire me. They never did.

I can also tell you that many more mistakes were made beyond the 10 hour mark and after about two weeks without a day off everyone started getting grumpy.

Besides this release is hardly "buggy" enough to warrant such a move. And we have 8 weeks to go, sheesh :mad:

kansasnoob
March 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM
+1.

+2!

caryb
March 5th, 2010, 10:21 PM
That's horrible! I worked a job where we often worked 12 hours a day and I drew the line at anything in excess of 28 days straight.

I'd just tell them I wouldn't be there and if they didn't like it they could fire me. They never did.

I can also tell you that many more mistakes were made beyond the 10 hour mark and after about two weeks without a day off everyone started getting grumpy.

Besides this release is hardly "buggy" enough to warrant such a move. And we have 8 weeks to go, sheesh :mad:

Lol I was wondering the same myself, if anything on the Kubuntu front it has been relatively boring! most of the gripes I have seen have related to Plymouth & new Ubuntu themes.

Sometimes I see the title of posts & cringe this is one of them. I'm real grateful for the FREE software available to me, and really enjoy testing it knowing others will gain so much productivity & enjoyment.

2c Cary

Morbius1
March 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
My wife is a software developer ( yes, girls can become programmers ).

What makes you think they are not working weekends?

exploder
March 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I think this topic is insulting to the Developers. The Developers put in a lot of hard hard work to build these releases and they will get the bugs out of the LTS without this kind of topic.

matthew
March 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
This thread is insulting. Our developers work very hard. I'm closing the thread.