PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Can I Remove the Host OS, Vista

JasonSilver
March 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I installed Ubuntu from within Vista, and now that I have VirtualBox running in Ubuntu, never need to boot into Vista again. (THANK GOD!)

But since I installed Ubuntu within Vista, I wonder if it is even possible to remove Vista?

Can someone direct me to how that might be possible, and/or a place where this has been discussed already?

Thanks so much,
Jason Silver

appier
March 5th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am sure there is a better way. But, the way I have done this in the past is to back up the home folder, including the hidden folder which includes your virtual machine, to a couple of different media. Then do a complete, fresh install, reinstalling the packages you like. At that point, restore your home folder followed by changing the permissions.

The caveat is that I am not as experienced in Ubuntu as many of the people here, so I would get advice from more than just me before you try it.

Hope it helps!

theozzlives
March 5th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I am sure there is a better way. But, the way I have done this in the past is to back up the home folder, including the hidden folder which includes your virtual machine, to a couple of different media. Then do a complete, fresh install, reinstalling the packages you like. At that point, restore your home folder followed by changing the permissions.

The caveat is that I am not as experienced in Ubuntu as many of the people here, so I would get advice from more than just me before you try it.

Hope it helps!

That's pretty much the only way to get out of WUBI and keep your settings.

JasonSilver
March 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
OK, thanks!

Now, I have a problem: I don't have a CD drive on this laptop, so the only way to get Ubuntu installed was to use Wubi through Vista.

If I format, I'll be back to where I started, except without a guest OS to download and install with.

What would happen if I just deleted the Windows folder et al?

Jason

MelDJ
March 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
do you have a pendrive?
if you do try http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

JasonSilver
March 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
That might work... let me look into it.

Jason

JasonSilver
March 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
OK, do I just compress everything in /home/jasonsilver including all hidden files to the USB? What about software etc?

I don't mind reinstalling the software I need-- but are all software settings in /home/jasonsilver?

Thanks!
Jason