PDA

View Full Version : About church management software

satimis
March 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hi folks,

I'm searching for Open Source Churches management software to manage a group of churches in municipal. Not many discovery was found, neither in Sourceforge nor in Freshmeat. Pointer would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
satimis

Ozor Mox
March 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
What on earth does church management software do?

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Can also look and see what Drupal, Joomla and other CMS (content management systems) are available.

Can you provide more details as to what you are looking for? Church management as in facilities? accounting? members? assets? sermons?

Part of the reason for asking, I am in the process of working on a church's website which I am hoping to use Drupal and provide an inner-workings communication and management system for them (calendars, wiki instructions, etc.) in addition to the external vew (gallery, schedule, etc.)

cariboo
March 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You may have better luck getting your question answered here.

david_kt
March 6th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hi folks,

I'm searching for Open Source Churches management software to manage a group of churches in municipal. Not many discovery was found, neither in Sourceforge nor in Freshmeat. Pointer would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
satimis

Please see my post below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240859

DK

satimis
March 6th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Hi folks,

Application:-

For churches tracking members, families, groups, pledges, church expenditure, church calendar, activities, bible study, notification, cross-church forum, etc. all on web base.

In a parish there are many churches. Each church can set up its server serving its own members. But how to consolidate them to Bishop's office under central management needs to find a solution.

I have been thinking to use CRM, most of them on web base. For consolidating them I can use virtualization, either allowing each church maintaining its own CRM running on VM or making use of virtual hosting.

However in another thought if there are existing software I need not to reinvent a wheel. On googling I found;

Church Info
http://www.churchdb.org/

ChurchLedger
http://www.churchledger.com/xoops/churchledger/
Church Management and Church Website Hosting

Jethro Pastoral Ministry Manager
http://jethro-pmm.sourceforge.net/

Web Based Church Information Management
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osc/

etc.

However none of them seems to be my ultimate target. Therefore I start to post my searching. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

satimis
March 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Please see my post below:

DK

Hi DK,

Thanks for your link.

Where can I find the mini.cd image or netinstall cd image to download?

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hi DK,

Thanks for your link.

Where can I find the mini.cd image or netinstall cd image to download?

B.R.
satimis

Unfortunately there is none.

DK

satimis
March 7th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Unfortunately there is none.

DK

Hi david_kt,

I'm now downloading;
ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso

Is it the server edition?

The download speed is very slow, always downloading from 2 of 2 connected peers. It took me almost one and half days, still not finished only 64.90% of 825.5MB.

Where can I find the md5sum?

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hi david_kt,

I'm now downloading;
ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso

Is it the server edition?

The download speed is very slow, always downloading from 2 of 2 connected peers. It took me almost one and half days, still not finished only 64.90% of 825.5MB.

Where can I find the md5sum?

B.R.
satimis

No, that is NOT the server version. The server version is on the link I give you previously. Here is the link:

http://www.livingtorrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=685

Here is the md5sum:

537865d091e4d33460e15f45bb255386 ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

b8adedfa673fd1bf233c3a86891fffee ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-i386.iso

eb36dbff52c06378382304cf190fcd50 ubuntu-9.10-server-christian_edition-i386.iso

DK

satimis
March 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
No, that is NOT the server version.

Is it desktop edition?

The server version is on the link I give you previously. Here is the link:

http://www.livingtorrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=685

Here is the md5sum:

537865d091e4d33460e15f45bb255386 ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

b8adedfa673fd1bf233c3a86891fffee ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-i386.iso

eb36dbff52c06378382304cf190fcd50 ubuntu-9.10-server-christian_edition-i386.iso

Thanks.

Where can I find;

ubuntu-9.10-server-christian_edition-amd64_beta.iso

The 64bit version
???

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Is it desktop edition?

Thanks.

Where can I find;

ubuntu-9.10-server-christian_edition-amd64_beta.iso

The 64bit version
???

B.R.
satimis

Yes, it is the desktop version. Unfortunately, I do not make the 64bit version of the server as I thought 32 bit would be enough for server version.

DK

satimis
March 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
- snip -

I thought 32 bit would be enough for server version.

64 bit is quite important for virtualization.

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
64 bit is quite important for virtualization.

B.R.
satimis

Well, may be for next release I will make 64 bit version instead of 32 bit.

DK

satimis
March 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Well, may be for next release I will make 64 bit version instead of 32 bit.

Hi DK,

Noted and thanks.

Now I have ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso download.

Virtual Machine
host Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
virtualizer - KVM

Installed it as VM

$ sudo virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n vm05_u910christ -r 512 --vcpus=2 -f /home/satimisu910/VM/vm05_u910christ.qcow2 -s 30 -c Downloads/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso --vnc --noautoconsole --os-type linux --sound --accelerate --network=bridge:br0 --hvm

Starting install...
Creating storage file... 100% |=========================| 30 GB 00:00
Creating domain... 0 B 00:00
Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.

Gnome
Applications -> System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
highlight the VM -> Open

To my surprise ubuntu-9.10-christian is running there, not necessary to install.

However I couldn't start it with following steps;

On console;
$ sudo virsh -c qemu:///system

Connecting to uri: qemu:///system
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type: 'help' for help with commands
'quit' to quit

virsh # list --all
Id Name State
----------------------------------
- vm05_u910christ shut off

virsh # start vm05_u910christ

Domain vm05_u910christ started

Gnome
Applications -> System Tools -> Virtual Machine Manager
highlight the VM -> Open

booting device not found.

Any advice. Whether I need to install it after running;

$ sudo virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n vm05_u910christ -r 512 --vcpus=2 -f /home/satimisu910/VM/vm05_u910christ.qcow2 -s 30 -c Downloads/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso --vnc --noautoconsole --os-type linux --sound --accelerate --network=bridge:br0 --hvm

TIA

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Virtual Machine
host Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
virtualizer - KVM

Any advice. Whether I need to install it after running;

TIA

B.R.
satimis

I do not use qemu. But I have tested the iso file on VirtualBox, it works.

DK

satimis
March 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I do not use qemu.
It works on qemu/kvm like a liveCD. I think I have to install it. Otherwise each time I have to run the full command to get it work. Besides I'll add other applications on it. It is only a platform.

But I have tested the iso file on VirtualBox, it works.

I havd VBox running here. It is for desktop virturalization. I'll test it later. Did you install ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64 on VBox ? OR just run it as LiveCD on VBox?

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 8th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I havd VBox running here. It is for desktop virturalization. I'll test it later. Did you install ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64 on VBox ? OR just run it as LiveCD on VBox?

B.R.
satimis

As far as I remember, I tried to install all iso file in virtual box before releasing it as I did not test it on real computer.

DK

satimis
March 8th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hi DK,

I have a question on burning;

ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

Its size is 825.5 MB. However the max size of my CD-RW is 700 MB. I have no way burning it on CD. Any advice? TIA

Edit:

What is wrong?

I have VM, u910christ created with "Sun VirtualBox". But I can't burn "ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso" on CD. Therefore I run;

$ VBoxManage storageattach u910christ --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium Downloads/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

But encountered following warning;

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

This is an "AMD Phenom II X4 955" box, a true 64 bit box. I have run it for more than 2 months. I can't proceed further.

B.R.
satimis

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hi DK,

I have a question on burning;

ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

Its size is 825.5 MB. However the max size of my CD-RW is 700 MB. I have no way burning it on CD. Any advice? TIA

Edit:

What is wrong?

I have VM, u910christ created with "Sun VirtualBox". But I can't burn "ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso" on CD. Therefore I run;

$ VBoxManage storageattach u910christ --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium Downloads/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64_beta.iso/ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd64.iso

But encountered following warning;

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

This is an "AMD Phenom II X4 955" box, a true 64 bit box. I have run it for more than 2 months. I can't proceed further.

B.R.
satimis

For more than 700mb, you have to use DVD instead of CD. Or, you could use unetbootin and usb.

When you setup Virtuabox, you have to emulate x86-64 CPU, not i686. Please check your VB setting.

DK

satimis
March 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
For more than 700mb, you have to use DVD instead of CD.

This is CD iso image. Can I burn it on DVD?

Installation starts. But I was stuck on step 4/7;

Prepare partitions:
New Partition Table/Add/Change/etc. all greyout. I can't edit them. However I'm prepared using the entire disk allotted without partition.

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
This is CD iso image. Can I burn it on DVD?

Installation starts. But I was stuck on step 4/7;

Prepare partitions:
New Partition Table/Add/Change/etc. all greyout. I can't edit them. However I'm prepared using the entire disk allotted without partition.

B.R.
satimis
It is DVD image as it more than 700 mb.
As for the partitioning, I really has no idea why it could not proceed.

DK

satimis
March 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
It is DVD image as it more than 700 mb.
As for the partitioning, I really has no idea why it could not proceed.

Hi david_kt,

I have the iso image burned on USB. It can be detected on running "Sun VirtualBox". Still I couldn't install it on VM. Clicking [Forward] on step 4/7 ;

No root file system is defined
Please correct this from the partitioning menu
[OK]

I can't understand. However it works on "Sun VirturalBox" window. But only it can't be installed.

satimis

david_kt
March 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi david_kt,

I have the iso image burned on USB. It can be detected on running "Sun VirtualBox". Still I couldn't install it on VM. Clicking [Forward] on step 4/7 ;

No root file system is defined
Please correct this from the partitioning menu
[OK]

How do you "burn" to usb? Did you use unetbootin? If not, please try to use unetbootin:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

DK

satimis
March 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
How do you "burn" to usb? Did you use unetbootin? If not, please try to use unetbootin:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Yes, I ran Unetbootin to burn the iso image on USB. This is a the simplest method I found.

I'm curious to find out why I can't install the christ OS. This is NOT my first time to install VM. However this is my first time to run "Sun VirtualBox to create VM. In the past I ran command line to create VM first and then using "Sun VirtualBox" for GUI to install desktop OS. This time I ran "Sun VirturlBox" to create the VM. I think the problem is here.

satimis

satimis
March 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi DK,

Now I have ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd6 running on VM of VBox. But I can't find;
churinfo
church website in a box
prayer board
etc.

as listed on;

Whether I need to install server edition? Can I install them on this desktop?

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi DK,

Now I have ubuntu-9.10-christian_edition_v6.0-amd6 running on VM of VBox. But I can't find;
churinfo
church website in a box
prayer board
etc.

as listed on;

Whether I need to install server edition? Can I install them on this desktop?

B.R.
satimis

Yes it is only for server edition. You could install server edition on desktop computer.

DK

satimis
March 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Yes it is only for server edition. You could install server edition on desktop computer.

It seems to me this desktop version is only a platform with Jesus Christ as background. I tried installing the packages on "Wine Christaian Repository". Some of them can work. I'll download the server and install it on a VM

satimis

david_kt
March 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
It seems to me this desktop version is only a platform with Jesus Christ as background. I tried installing the packages on "Wine Christaian Repository". Some of them can work. I'll download the server and install it on a VM

satimis

The desktop version has dansguardian pre-installed and configured, and some additional christian softwares such as Opensong, Xiphos, Trivia, linbread. It also has wine christian repository and e-Sword insaller. You have to do update for wine christian repository as recently there is some upgrade in the softwares.

DK

satimis
March 15th, 2010, 03:46 AM
The desktop version has dansguardian pre-installed and configured, and some additional christian softwares such as Opensong, Xiphos, Trivia, linbread. It also has wine christian repository and e-Sword insaller. You have to do update for wine christian repository as recently there is some upgrade in the softwares.

Hi DK,

On running aptitude update and dist-upgrade, it installed following packages:-
dansguardian-gui wine-christian-repos ubuntu-ce-xsplash-artwork

After finished. Rebooted PC

Now I found:-

Accessories ->
linbread
trivia
Xiphos Bible Guide
(It needs installing modules. I'm now download/installing them. Very slow)

Office ->
OpenSong

System Tools ->
encfs gui
e-sword-install
Wind Christian Repository

Wine -> Programs ->
Accessirues
Bible Verse
Easy Sunday School Planner
Theophilos 3
Vitual Rosary

But I can't find dansguardian-gui and ubuntu-ce-xsplash-artwork. Where are they?

Besides what language pack I need to install? Because some program display codes, unable to read. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

david_kt
March 15th, 2010, 04:35 AM
But I can't find dansguardian-gui and ubuntu-ce-xsplash-artwork. Where are they?

Besides what language pack I need to install? Because some program display codes, unable to read. Thanks

Dansguardian gui: System > Administration > Dansguardian GUI

ubuntu-ce-xsplash-artwork. : You should notice it during boot, it is xsplash

DK

satimis
March 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Dansguardian gui: System > Administration > Dansguardian GUI

ubuntu-ce-xsplash-artwork. : You should notice it during boot, it is xsplash

I can't find;

System -> Administration -> Dansguardian GUI

On console
$ dansguardian

I seem to be running already!

On booting only "Ubuntu" logo displayed. Any pointer on language problem because only codes are displayed on bible?

satimis

gazette
March 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM
One common problem that church leaders face is how to spend their time most effectively. Although these leaders seem to have an unlimited amount of energy, they are only human. Often they divide their work up into two categories: housekeeping items and spirituality. The housekeeping items involve tasks like updating the church records and taking care of the accounting. The spiritual tasks include preparing for sermons and serving the members in any way. Unfortunately these housekeeping items often take up a lot of time leaving it hard to focus on what’s most important. Fortunately, there is technology to help these leaders with their housekeeping items. Church management software (http://www.church-software-plus.com/church-management-software.htm) has several features that make it easier to run the day-to-day operations of the church.