PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update to 2.6.31-20-generic failed

Silvertones
March 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I did an update today and it failed. Had a crash report. I did a recheck for updates and it said I was up to date. When I restarted it told me to sudo .... I forgot the rest to complete but said it encountered errors. Anyone else ? How do I redownload this update to retry?

stlsaint
March 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
For us to better help you please post the exact error message you are getting...and are you able to boot fully into the system?

Silvertones
March 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Yes you'd never know there was an issue with the update. When I boot the latest is 19 as before.
E: linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
E: linux-image-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

What I think happened is that the restart dialog popped up prematurly during the initial install. By the time I noticed that the updates had not completed I had hit restart. I think things are broken. I tried to reinstall but these messages keep coming up.

stlsaint
March 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
try in terminal:

sudo aptitude clean
or

sudo apt-get autoclean

After that try updating again:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Soul-Sing
March 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Most probably your sourceslist is messed up/stuck. If you can run your desktop, please try choosing another server from synaptic package manager, and try again via:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Silvertones
March 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I ran those and am now in the process of re downloading. I had done a complete removal linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic figuring that the packedge was OK but I still got errors so I assume the DL pckg was broken. It'll be awhile before I report back. Dialup takes a bit!!
It's interesting though. There are 2 pckgs linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic:
1. says x86/x86_64 this is the one that was installed
2. x86 this one is linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic pae
My machine is not 64 bit
Just thinking out loud.

Silvertones
March 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Still get the error.
In order to try Leoguant's idea I have to wait untill tomorrow and go back to the library for WiFi. Too much for dialup.
So this is interesting. If I run the update manager set to the original site it says I'm up to date. When I tried from a UK site it had 58 files that was going to take too long and is risky with dialup. So it appears that the record of updates is stored at the server & not on the local machine? Thus it's probably going to update everything again from day one?
What would happen if I remove via synaptic all of the so called installed programs that have 2.6.31-20 in the name or version & then did the
sudo aptitude clean