PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Lucid Lynx?

Jekshadow
March 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I think that it will be a success. The new theme will be more appealing to new users, and the new branding seems more modern. Also the 2.6.32 kernel adds default support for my WiFi card and nVidia GPU (nouveau), removing the need for proprietary drivers.

My only objection is the addition of other useless crap, such as the social networking integration and Ubuntu One, but luckily they are easy enough to remove.

What do you think of Lucid Lynx so far?

travisat
March 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
To early to tell. Its not even in beta yet. If they get the bugs worked out and the theme finished so it works good with all of the default applications and most if not all of the other applications, it might be very good.

KrazyPenguin
March 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I think that it will be a success. The new theme will be more appealing to new users, and the new branding seems more modern. Also the 2.6.32 kernel adds default support for my WiFi card and nVidia GPU (nouveau), removing the need for proprietary drivers.

My only objection is the addition of other useless crap, such as the social networking integration and Ubuntu One, but luckily they are easy enough to remove.

What do you think of Lucid Lynx so far?

Are you 12 years old?? Why have a poll on a dated snapshot of a heavily developed unfinished operating system??? LOL
I will not vote but will put in my 2 cents.
Social networking is one of the biggest things people do online (not me -- just a little) so most people will find the useless crap useful.
I would actually want to click on Ubuntu Me and be able to log into msn through there. The way it sits now, it isn't useful to me.
If Ubuntu One was Dropbox then it would be an awesome piece of software.
I use Dropbox and it syncs across computers automatically and backs up everything , etc.
Ubuntu One needs to lower its' prices as well to compete.

autark
March 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to stick to 9.04 forever: it's the last version to work correctly on my hardware with regard to the following:

Suspend/hibernate and resume.
Huawei 3G broadband modem support.

Admittedly, Lynx works better for me than Karmic, but nothing compares to Jaunty.

ikt
March 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to stick to 9.04 forever: it's the last version to work correctly on my hardware with regard to the following:

Admittedly, Lynx works better for me than Karmic, but nothing compares to Jaunty.

Can you post the links to lp for those.

ankspo71
March 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I gave it a "Better than 9.10 and previous" because I had problems in Karmic that have been ironed out in Lucid. I still would like to see a few more areas ironed out too, so I can't say awesome yet. I do think some features are awesome now though, for instance the new open source drivers that worked with my nvidia card. (no more being stuck with a 800x600 screen resolution on a default install). ;)

jaycee4
March 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has long been hesitant to try Ubuntu (it's only now that I'm a professed n00b)...
I think it's coming along wonderfully! The new interface that's been loaded tonight is beautiful - and certainly an improvement over the traditional brown themes of the past. Also, being the masochist I am, I'm enjoying the frequent updates and occasional bugs (until the final release, of course, when everything should be "perfect"), which seem to be fewer in number than my experience with openSUSE 11.2 GNOME (stable/release)! As I said, it's coming along wonderfully! Keep up the excellent work! :D

xebian
March 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Kubuntu lucid is for sure awesome.

kansasnoob
March 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I gave it an awesome :D

For still being in Alpha it's looking great. I started with Gutsy in about February 2008 and it was awesome for me, of course it had been out for a few months so probably most killer bugs had been fixed.

Hardy would have been great other than the pulse audio bugs, but I still kept Gutsy for my "stable" OS. Intrepid just kind of "teed" me off, silly things like the Live CD not ejecting properly, poor camera recognition, etc.

Jaunty totally rocked for me, my best Ubuntu ever to date. Almost no tweaking needed whatsoever ;)

Then came Karmic ........... what can I say, it just sucked on my hardware. Specifically Xorg wouldn't play well with my P4/M800 graphics card, still doesn't to this day, so I just gave up on it. Total freezes requiring a "hard" reboot are simply too rough on hardware :sad:

Now Lucid is looking just fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! Auto-detection in Grub2 is just great now. It's super fast. The new themes are nice, although I still prefer my own custom desktop.

At present my only real annoyance is Plymouth but it's just as bad in Fedora 12 and I only see the ugly blue/white progress bars for about 18 to 19 seconds so that's not a big deal.

I just hope the devs keep up the good work on this.

autark
March 5th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Can you post the links to lp for those.
Sure:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/488720
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/510004
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/513187
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/499558

I have some hope that the problems with resume from suspend will be solved, but my mobile-broadband problems have so far not been dealt with.

Kevbert
March 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Ubuntu is fine (apart from Plymouth), but for me Kubuntu is a non-starter as I can't even log-in with the current daily builds.

srix
March 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
For an Alpha, Lucid looks pretty good. There are a few problems I have with it, though (mostly reported now, and some confirmed):
1. suspend/resume problems
2. external microphone not detected (carried over from Karmic)
3. gdm crash on first login after boot (a really strange problem - typing '2' crashes X immediately!!)

Other than these it looks good. Bootup times have definitely improved.

skymera
March 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
10.04 Alpha2 seemed snappy.

As the updates have rolled on, it feels fat and much slower.

Just another yawn.
The new light themes look shocking..

NikitaUtiu
March 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It looks good, but it still buggy as it is only alpha.

howefield
March 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
So far so good, shaping up to be a fine LTS release.

FatAngus
March 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Absolutely full of awesomeness. Any Linux distribution that works with my Ipod Touch is fantastic with me :). Also the new themes/colour scheme look great. Ubuntu is going from strength to strength and I look forward to the new Ubuntu One Music Store opening - I will have no need to keep iTunes once it has opened.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Overall, Lucid Alpha 3 is performing rather well. Very fast boot time is quite nice.

Issues:

* Frame around desktop. Have to do nautilus -q in terminal to get rid of it. Appears when ever I make a change in theme, icons, controls, wallpaper or rename a desktop file.

* Always have to login in twice.

* Window buttons on left. ](*,)

* Plymouth not working correctly

emarkay
March 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Well, who's the wiseguy that thought moving the control buttons to the left was a good idea? Duh! Was that really necessary?

All this crap with Plymouth screwing it all for 2 seconds of boot screen? Who's the rocket scientist that decided on that?

ATI driver issue - I know it's not Ubuntu's fault, but why alienate 50% of the users who need the gee-whiz features and have ATI/AMD cards - couldn't that have been figured out during the toolchain days?

That foreboding "your CPU is lacking security protection" warning on boot.

All the Intrepid through Karmic bugs and "papercuts" that were not addressed in the toolchain days... (!)

Oh, and SAMBA still doesn't work.

I'll still be developing but, I am sticking with Karmic for now!

Irihapeti
March 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'll be looking for another distro. Actually, I'm already testing out several.

Not because I particularly want to, but because I have to. Lucid is not booting on my desktop, I have a bug report open and it doesn't look as though anything is going to happen now. Of course, I haven't tried all the versions posted on Distrowatch (my bandwidth limit wouldn't allow it, for one thing) but so far Lucid is the only distro that misbehaves.

I wish that there were options to bypass Plymouth or whatever it is that's causing the problem, but I haven't found any.

If it wasn't a LTS release, I wouldn't be too worried, but as it is, I need to look at other options.

kuvanito
March 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Well, who's the wiseguy that thought moving the control buttons to the left was a good idea? Duh! Was that really necessary?

All this crap with Plymouth screwing it all for 2 seconds of boot screen? Who's the rocket scientist that decided on that?

ATI driver issue - I know it's not Ubuntu's fault, but why alienate 50% of the users who need the gee-whiz features and have I am sticking with Karmic for now!

amen to that!!!!
I am not left handed!!!

Uncle Spellbinder
March 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'll be looking for another distro. Actually, I'm already testing out several.

Not because I particularly want to, but because I have to. Lucid is not booting on my desktop, I have a bug report open and it doesn't look as though anything is going to happen now. Of course, I haven't tried all the versions posted on Distrowatch (my bandwidth limit wouldn't allow it, for one thing) but so far Lucid is the only distro that misbehaves.

I wish that there were options to bypass Plymouth or whatever it is that's causing the problem, but I haven't found any.

If it wasn't a LTS release, I wouldn't be too worried, but as it is, I need to look at other options.

:-k

It's still alpha. There are 2 betas and an RC to go.

Irihapeti
March 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
:-k

It's still alpha. There are 2 betas and an RC to go.

That's true.

Here's what's affecting my thinking: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1361231&page=3 If you like, take a look and tell me what you think.

I'd like to get this sorted, but nothing's happening and I don't know where to look. I'm the only one posting to the bug report now.

ankspo71
March 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
That's true.

Here's what's affecting my thinking: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1361231&page=3 If you like, take a look and tell me what you think.

I'd like to get this sorted, but nothing's happening and I don't know where to look. I'm the only one posting to the bug report now.

Has anyone reported a similar bug since you have posted yours? You might want to search again to see if there is another bug report that you can link to so they can see it and merge them. I responded to your other post a minute ago too.

Irihapeti
March 6th, 2010, 10:39 PM
@ankspo71

There are bugs that look similar; maybe I should have a closer look and link them.

Interestingly, one of the live CDs I've just tried was Fedora 12 (lxde version). It uses Plymouth, and although I can't see anything other than a blue and white band on my screen, it still boots completely.

LKjell
March 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM
@ankspo71

There are bugs that look similar; maybe I should have a closer look and link them.

Interestingly, one of the live CDs I've just tried was Fedora 12 (lxde version). It uses Plymouth, and although I can't see anything other than a blue and white band on my screen, it still boots completely.

You know that Fedora 12 _is_ a stable release and Lucid in alpha stage...

Irihapeti
March 7th, 2010, 12:08 AM
YES, I do know that Lucid is alpha.

I also know that my thinking gets affected when (a) there doesn't seem to be any progress, (b) when someone else suggests that it must be my hardware because no one else is having the problem, and (c) the bug seems to have become an orphan, with me being the only one posting.

Rightly or wrongly, I start to wonder if I'm one of those people with some rare quirk that's not worth fixing. I perfectly understand that this is necessary - there's no way every bug can be fixed. In that case, I think it makes sense to start looking at my options.

You can rest assured: Windows isn't one of them.

LKjell
March 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM
What about install Karmic and upgrade to Lucid?

richs-lxh
March 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Not really a lot you can say seeing as we are only at Alpha 3 which by rights "should" be buggy. But first impressions are very good. The new theme and style is just what is needed, some new features, and a general feeling of stability and polish.

I've been using Ubuntu on and off since Hoary Hedgehog, and this release is most definitely my favourite so far.

It's just a shame that good Linux distros get let down by third party apps which have to be used as there is no other choice. ie Xorg, Proprietary firmware/drivers, Desktop Environments etc.

To be honest, any bugs I have seen so far are not Ubuntu-specific, but general Linux problems which have also been seen on other distros.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
YES, I do know that Lucid is alpha.

I also know that my thinking gets affected when (a) there doesn't seem to be any progress, (b) when someone else suggests that it must be my hardware because no one else is having the problem, and (c) the bug seems to have become an orphan, with me being the only one posting.

Please do not take this the wrong way. But if you're the only one with the problem and you're the only one posting on a bug, them maybe it is your hardware. Just a thought.

And in any event, looking for another distro because an Alpha is not working correctly for you is a bit on the odd side.

No offense meant.

Irihapeti
March 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
What about install Karmic and upgrade to Lucid?

It's a thought. I can upgrade off an alternate CD.

phenest
March 7th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Me too, but for different reasons. The Pulse Audio setup in Karmic is no good for the LFE channel on my laptop, not to mention the horrible crackling. Lucid is better, and I hope it turns out ok. Until then, I'm using Debian testing.

kelean
March 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I gave it a better than 9.10. It runs better that the last couple of releases on my dell opti-plex with intel on board graphics.

It also looks very nice and performs very well. I am happy so far. I hope things keep progressing for this release.

Irihapeti
March 7th, 2010, 01:13 AM
@Uncle Spellbinder

It looks like you and I are seeing this one differently. I may be missing something here and I'd like to know what it is.

What would you suggest that I do in the circumstances?

Uncle Spellbinder
March 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM
@Uncle Spellbinder

It looks like you and I are seeing this one differently. I may be missing something here and I'd like to know what it is.

What would you suggest that I do in the circumstances?

Continue testing, submit bugs, and hope for the best. Relying solely on an alpha as a yardstick as to whether or not you'd use the final version is odd. There are still 2 betas and an RC to go before final is released. An awful lot can happen between now and then.

If I'd used Windows 7 alpha as a guide as to whether or not it was a stable OS for my system, I'd have never used it again. As it stands now, Windows 7 is a remarkably stable OS on my system. Much quicker and more reliable than Vista ever was.