PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] difference between 64bit and 32bit

Kike89
March 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I think I messed up... My laptop has AMD turion X2 64, which I guess it's the 64bit version, and I have installed ubuntu 32 bit and Vista 32... LOL... should I keep using my system with these? is there any big difference between 64bit and 32bit? Why is everyithing so complicated... XD. Do I have to download Ubuntu again but the 64 bit version?

philinux
March 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I think I messed up... My laptop has AMD turion X2 64, which I guess it's the 64bit version, and I have installed ubuntu 32 bit and Vista 32... LOL... should I keep using my system with these? is there any big difference between 64bit and 32bit? Why is everyithing so complicated... XD. Do I have to download Ubuntu again but the 64 bit version?

The info is out there. This has been asked many times.

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-904-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmarks

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ubuntu+64+vs+32&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

mcduck
March 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
64-bit versions are able to use 4GB and more f RAM, and give some performance benefits with certain tasks like video and image processing etc.

Other than those things there is really no difference, and your CPU is fully capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems and software so if you don't do lots of multimedia-related work or have over 4GB of memory then you won't miss anything if you keep on using the 32-bit versiosn you have installed.

(Here's an idea for you, use the 32-bit Ubuntu for now, and when you want to move to next Ubutnu release make a fresh install of the 64-bit version)

Kike89
March 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
64-bit versions are able to use 4GB and more f RAM, and give some performance benefits with certain tasks like video and image processing etc.

Other than those things there is really no difference, and your CPU is fully capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems and software so if you don't do lots of multimedia-related work or have over 4GB of memory then you won't miss anything if you keep on using the 32-bit versiosn you have installed.

(Here's an idea for you, use the 32-bit Ubuntu for now, and when you want to move to next Ubutnu release make a fresh install of the 64-bit version)

Oh... and... do I have to install de 64-bit version from scratch? or is there a possibility for upgrading? I think that my notebook has 3gb of ram... so... 64 bit and 32bit for me should be the same, right?

mcduck
March 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Sorry, but yes, you do need to make a fresh install to move from 32-bit version to 64-bit version, you can't do that by upgrade.

And yes, if you only have 3GB of RAM and don't do lots of image processing, video editing or sound/video encoding or other such tasks then you won't notice any difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

pricetech
March 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Not to be argumentative, but I have to disagree.

I installed both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of winders 7 release candidate. Both installs were done on the same machine. Nothing was changed except the OS. There was a noticeable improvement in performance across the board with the 64 bit version.

Same thing with Hardy on another computer. I installed both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version, one at a time, and again performance was noticeably better across the board with the 64 bit version.

The down side is that some applications don't have a 64 bit version yet. Most everything I use I can either find the 64 bit version or find a workaround. I don't plan to go back to 32 bit.

Kike89
March 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry, but yes, you do need to make a fresh install to move from 32-bit version to 64-bit version, you can't do that by upgrade.

And yes, if you only have 3GB of RAM and don't do lots of image processing, video editing or sound/video encoding or other such tasks then you won't notice any difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

Im an amateur photographer... I do image editing ALOT, how will the 64bit version would improve the images viewing?

mcduck
March 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Im an amateur photographer... I do image editing ALOT, how will the 64bit version would improve the images viewing?

64-bit system is easily able to handle large integer numbers (which happen to be 64-bit values) while 32-bit system has to break them into smaller pieces and thus use many more processing cycles to calculate each value. And large integers are very common in images and other media-related files.

So it doesn't improve image viewing, it improves the speed of all image processing if you edit your images in any way.

Shark_AtK12
March 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
If you already have the 32bit version I would just wait until the next big upgrade(April I believe) and clean install the 64 bit version.

3rdalbum
March 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Don't worry about it. The difference between 32-bit and 64-bit in terms of performance is very small, compared to the difference between a laptop and a desktop. Just use 32-bit until you next do a clean install (perhaps for Ubuntu 10.10), when you might as well install 64-bit.

Kellemora
March 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit on this machine now for probably well over a year!

I've only had two issues, one was 64 bit didn't show illegal file names, but 32 bit did, however you had to edit the filename to save any changes, which is logical. Not being able to see the files at all in 64 bit dictated we keep a couple of 32 bit machines around until they were all updated, all 120,000+ of them.

I finally retired completely, but we did heavy graphics work, those tri-folds you pick up advertising area activities and amusements, etc.

Moving from Microsoft to Ubuntu was one of the best moves we ever made.
And doing this type of work on the 64 bit OS, then dropping back to a 32 bit OS was like getting stuck in TAR or MUD it was so slow in comparison.

They made a change to Gimp that has made their selection screen TALLER than can be displayed on ANY computer or monitor we have here, unless we go to full screen, which is a royal PITA........Have no idea WHY they made that idiotic change to Gimp.......

The only drawback so far with Ubuntu is that Kautoclick is about the worst autoclicker I've ever used in my life. And it's the ONLY ONE available for Ubuntu and it has no hot keys which makes it even more difficult to use. Very Risky on some apps too!

I've spent close to two years trying various purchased autoclickers for Linux, none of them are programmable and most have no useful features.

So, we keep a Windows XP-Pro machine around for things like accounting and working with programs where a fully functional programmable autoclicker is a must have tool.
Nonetheless, we still use Linux for most of the work and the redundant stuff we load onto the WinDOZE machine and let it run by itself.

I think you'll LOVE the 64 bit Ubuntu!!!!!

TTUL
Gary