PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia drivers broke GUI

OzzyFreakDude2
March 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hello
I have a desktop with an integrated Nvidia graphics chip. I installed the Nvidia drivers through ubuntu's driver manager. It worked fine, but some games turned off my monitor with an unsupported video mode, so I installed an older version of the drivers through a *.run file. I had to turn off gdm and install it without graphics, through terminal. When I tried to reboot, the graphics were all messed up. The screen was misaligned, and the highest screen resolution I could use was 700 by something. So I figured that if I could just uninstall the drivers, I could reinstall the correct driver and things be okay. Then my gui broke. When I try to run startx, it gives me the "fatal server error: no screens found".

If I could just purge and remove all traces of the nvidia drivers and/or use Ubuntu's built-in video driver, I should be able to reinstall whichever version of the driver I want and be good. However, I can't figure out how to. I've seen where people say to just apt-get-remove --purge nvidia-glx, but it tells me that I don't have nvidia-glx installed to begin with.

I'm using Karmic x64
thanks in advance