PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Probably simple issue with images not show up on website

ehigginsfreese
March 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I am using Ubuntu 9.10, Apache 2. It works for text (like the "It works") page apache makes but no images show up. I am 100% sure it is permissions but I suck at Linux permissions.

Here is what I do to get the page to the web server in case that provides a clue. I have to ftp the file to the home directory of the user (in this case I named them administrator) because I can't seem to ftp directly into the /var/www folder (which is another permissions issue I know.) Once the file is there I putty into the server as administrator. When I am in there I cannot move the file to /var/www unless I sudo. Then it goes fine. Once the file is there I can load it from the web but no images show up.

This is a default setup which I just installed yesterday so I didn't do anything with any users or any configuration changes to Apache 2. Just left it all alone.

So what do I need to do to fix this? Any clues? I have the nagging feeling this has happened to me before when setting up websites on Linux but it has been a few years since I have done it so I just can't remember the fix!

Thanks for any help.

bartos
March 5th, 2010, 03:52 AM
First ly make sure your html tags are pointing to the picture properly.
I load all my images into a "image" folder in the root of the website. So my html tag will point to "image/picture.png"
Folder permissions should be 755 or 644 so you can ftp to it and it can be read.