PDA

View Full Version : Lucid's new defaul wallapaper revealed!!!!!

sudoer541
March 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Lucid's new wallpaper revealed (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/lucids-new-wallpaper.html)!!!!!
It looks very cute!!!! what do you think?

Uncle Spellbinder
March 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Just got an update in Lucid Alpha 3. Available now. Not a fan of it at all. Better than brown, though.

Sceiron
March 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Reminds me of a blury Mac-space-wallpaper

Slug71
March 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I like it but it needs brown in there to make it a little sex neutral and maintain its originality.

Tristam Green
March 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Reminds me of a blury Mac-space-wallpaper

^--- correct. Looks almost OSX, doesn't it?

Nevon
March 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It's ok. The lens flares are very tacky, but overall I suppose it's ok.

red_Marvin
March 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
As in happy I hope, I cannot see how a dominant shade of colour with a few other shades could be connected to a sexual orientation.

alexfish
March 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
MMM!

Looks like a Foggy Street in the evening . Not a good omen . Fog!

Uncle Spellbinder
March 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
As in happy I hope, I cannot see how a dominant shade of colour with a few other shades could be connected to a sexual orientation.

Pink would be considered, for the most part, a female favored color. Thus , if a man were to love pink, some would consider him to be gay. At least that's seemingly the intent behind the post form rottentree above.

I do, however, feel that the new default wallpaper has a definite feminine flavor.

nubimax
March 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Much to dark on the left for these old eyes.
M.

justsomedude
March 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Lens flare?

Seriously?

Lens flare?

Manky83, is that you?

red_Marvin
March 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
-never mind I'm dragging the thread off topic, sorry-

CJ Master
March 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I can't believe this.

Rasa1111
March 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
i rather like it. :)

and nope.. im not even gay!! lol

nice job. thanks for sharing it. :)

swoll1980
March 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
What colors you like, or don't like have nothing to do with your sexuality. I wear pink shirts, and purple shirts, all the time. I am not female, nor homosexual.

clanky
March 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I actually quite like the new default wallpaper, a lot of peole have been saying for a long time that Ubuntu needs to look more polished, this is certainly a good start.

estyles
March 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I find it incredibly ugly. Very OSX- or Windows-like. Blurry, not brown or even orange. Just terrible.

On the other hand - I don't use the default wallpaper for longer than it takes to install, so I don't really care that much. I think Intrepid had the best default wallpaper so far.

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Yuck.

I hope there are better choices in the list of included wallpapers.

9.10 wasn't bad, though I did find the list of included wallpapers much nicer than before. I've changed the wallpaper without feeling like I needed to change the icons or anything else.

So far, though, not so good with Lucid. It does look too "Mac OS X wannabe" and Linux needs to differentiate, not compromise.

And yes, I did not find the default brown-ish theme in 9.10 to be ugly. It was neutral, not in your face and like I said I've changed the wallpaper and nothing else.

TuckLive
March 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The new default wallpaper is nice. I'm really tired of seeing people complain and complain about the old theme and now the new theme :-({|=. You know I never liked the default wallpaper in Windows, but guess what - I changed it and this one is just as easy to change.

Please show more support for 10.04.

forrestcupp
March 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Purple?

This is the worst wallpaper yet. I think Intrepid's wallpaper was my favorite so far.

Rasa1111
March 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
finally someone appreciates my hard work.

:D *Deep Bows*

Old Marcus
March 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I found the intrepid wallpaper looked like nothing more than a glorified coffee stain. This new wallpaper is too blurry and tacky for my tastes, much the same goes for the theme the accompanies it.

Tristam Green
March 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Purple?

This is the worst wallpaper yet. I think Intrepid's wallpaper was my favorite so far.

+7 - that and Hardy were the best wallpapers of all time for Ubuntu.

I found the intrepid wallpaper looked like nothing more than a glorified coffee stain. This new wallpaper is too blurry and tacky for my tastes, much the same goes for the theme the accompanies it.

That was what was so cool about it. It was a coffee stain until you moved away and said "oh snap, it's an antelope gazelle Ibex."

malspa
March 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I never keep the default wallpaper in any distro, anyway, so it doesn't matter what it looks like. It could be completely black for all I care.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I miss the black usplash background, everything's so purpley, are we royalty now?

Ichtyandr
March 4th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Purple?

I agree completely, Intrepid's wallpaper was very original, and I still keep it. This "aubergine" one is rather strange.

arnab_das
March 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
just tried it out. not impressed at all. this looks better on a webpage than on the desktop. but i'll keep my fingers crossed. considering the enormous remodelling that has taken place in terms of logo, designs etc. its only a matter of time when we'll have a smashing wallpaper.

Old Marcus
March 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I miss the black usplash background, everything's so purpley, are we royalty now?

Hail Caesar!

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Another nice thing about Karmic's backgrounds is that they all worked nicely with the theme. It wasn't a case of "oh crap, I changed the wallpaper and now the theme looks aweful", they all worked together nicely.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hail Caesar!

Hail Barney!

"I love Ubuntu, Ubuntu loves me, we're a purple family"

Shpongle
March 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM
The new default wallpaper is nice. I'm really tired of seeing people complain and complain about the old theme and now the new theme :-({|=. You know I never liked the default wallpaper in Windows, but guess what - I changed it and this one is just as easy to change.

++

PC_load_letter
March 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Well, it's not horrible, unlike the 1st suggested default wallpaper for Jaunty, that spiral of circles gave me nightmares :D

In my humble opinion, I think it is not great either, why?
- It's very OSX like, is this necessarily a bad thing? I'd say yes it is, at least until Ubuntu establishes itself as a real desktop alternative, it has to strive for individuality and uniqueness. Looks to the average computer user are very important, specially to the 1st time users.

- Given all the hype about the 'new' design team, this wallpaper leaves a LOT to be desired. I mean come on, what kind of 'special' set of skills or taste is needed for someone to cook this up in 10 mins.? There are several wallpapers on deviantart.com & gnomelook.org that wipes the floor with this one.

Ubuntu design team, here is a thought, subscribe to the current month's desktop screenshot sticky at the art forum (EDIT: it's the community cafe) here. Or even better, hire some of the regular posters who manage to come up with fantastic themes month after month. My jaw drops to the floor each time I check this thread out.

- Personally, I couldn't care less how Lucid looks because I can and will change it to my liking, but what about your average Joe Windows?

In a word, just underwhelming.

Tristam Green
March 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Freedom to gripe!

rajeev1204
March 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
There never will be a wallpaper as beautiful and as intricate as the Hardy Heron.Ever.

And pieces of new artwork are only landing in lucid.No one says this will be the final wallpaper in lynx.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM

I support Linux, without Linux there is no 10.04.

kaldor
March 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I hate the new purple theme that Ubuntu is adopting. It doesn't fit at all.

I've always, ALWAYS loved the brown. Even moreso when it was slightly changed by default in Karmic. Karmic has the nicest default appearance of any Linux distro.

This is all my opinion though. I do not get why people hate brown. I was greatly looking forward to lucid's new appearance, but I have been let down greatly by it. The new logo is awesome though.

swoll1980
March 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I support Linux, without Linux there is no 10.04.

Couldn't they just use a different kernel?

clanky
March 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have to say I am absolutely gobsmached, I saw this thread and thought ahhh, at last a thread where I can post a nice positive comment about Ubuntu, and here I am the Ubuntu fanboy in amongst a bunch of trolls! :)

For me the issue is not whether it is purple, brown or pink with yellow spots (it can easily be changed), but rather that Ubuntu seems to have woken up to the fact that polish is important, hopefully a good sign for the future.

cap10Ibraim
March 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
What attracted me to Ubuntu is the human theme !

PC_load_letter
March 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have to say I am absolutely gobsmached, I saw this thread and thought ahhh, at last a thread where I can post a nice positive comment about Ubuntu, and here I am the Ubuntu fanboy in amongst a bunch of trolls! :)

For me the issue is not whether it is purple, brown or pink with yellow spots (it can easily be changed), but rather that Ubuntu seems to have woken up to the fact that polish is important, hopefully a good sign for the future.

Well, if your expectations are that low, no wonder you're a fanboy :D

My response when I read your 2nd paragraph is just Da! I thought everyone kind of knew that.

oxf
March 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I like it but it needs brown in there to make it a little sex neutral and maintain its originality.

Its never ceases to amaze me how some people (mostly men it seems) seem to equate certain colours with male/female or gay/straight. I thought those days were long past, well at least for most of us they are. But to each their own I guess.

There never will be a wallpaper as beautiful and as intricate as the Hardy Heron.Ever.

And pieces of new artwork are only landing in lucid.No one says this will be the final wallpaper in lynx.

Yes the Heron was rather beautiful and all the colour variants that were developed from it.
I very inclined to put that on my system even now. But I'm rather biased and will spend ages watching these beautiful birds in the wild!

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Couldn't they just use a different kernel?

Fair enough.

estyles
March 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Sure, polish is important. But lens flares and blurriness != polish.

kellemes
March 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
what colors you like, or don't like have nothing to do with your sexuality. I wear pink shirts, and purple shirts, all the time. I am not female, nor homosexual.

its never ceases to amaze me how some people (mostly men it seems) seem to equate certain colours with male/female or gay/straight. I thought those days were long past, well at least for most of us they are. But to each their own i guess.

+1
I guess it's more of an age thing..

Anyway, I like the change of color, it's refreshing and brings a smile to my face, very nice.

juanoleso
March 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM

+1, love the heron

Sashin
March 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Purple = girly, 100% set in stone, no doubts.

I'd prefer it if it was more orange and less purple, but it's not a problem since I can change it.

Chromagnum
March 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Let's take a look at windows wallpaper. Mainly kinda blueish thing, somehow intrepertation that follow could be looking outside the windows and see the oportunity ahead. You know... the sky, the grass, etc etc.

Let's take a look at Mac. Mainly kinda purpleish, approaching to be somehow elegant, and--being Mac always wants to be at the top of windows (you can see that in all of their ads)--represent the galaxy. Like, someone looking at the entire universe. The milky way and so on.

Now, let's take a look at ubuntu. To me, Intrepid Ibex wallpaper is solid representation of ubuntu. Solid wall. Like, it is hard to be able to break through. It is a solid defense. Rough, tough. Somehow mean but it is necessary. Make one kinda wondered what on the other site of that wall. It could also mean the rough edge and brownish thing represent the earth; that we all stand in the same ground, and connect to each other by the representation of the ubuntu logo.

Okay, it seems like I'm making a fool out of myself. Lol.

Keyper7
March 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I like it but it needs brown in there

I think Intrepid's wallpaper was my favorite so far.

I did not find the default brown-ish theme in 9.10 to be ugly. (...) Another nice thing about Karmic's backgrounds is that they all worked nicely with the theme. It wasn't a case of "oh crap, I changed the wallpaper and now the theme looks aweful", they all worked together nicely.

Intrepid's wallpaper was very original, and I still keep it.

I've always, ALWAYS loved the brown. Even moreso when it was slightly changed by default in Karmic. Karmic has the nicest default appearance of any Linux distro.

There never will be a wallpaper as beautiful and as intricate as the Hardy Heron.Ever. (...) I think i want to go back to brown again,wait a minute,i always stuck with brown.

+1, love the heron

What attracted me to Ubuntu is the human theme !

"Nobody likes the default wallpapers, what is Canonical thinking?"

"Nobody likes the Human theme, Canonical hates the community!"

"Nobody likes brown, Canonical obviously knows that and ignores it!"

Reminiscences: the best amusement no TV station can ever offer.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Now, let's take a look at ubuntu. To me, Intrepid Ibex wallpaper is solid representation of ubuntu. Solid wall. Like, it is hard to be able to break through. It is a solid defense. Rough, tough. Somehow mean but it is necessary. Make one kinda wondered what on the other site of that wall. It could also mean the rough edge and brownish thing represent the earth; that we all stand in the same ground, and connect to each other by the representation of the ubuntu logo.

Bravo! Ubuntu was proud to be Ubuntu, instead of rehash an old look from a rival OS.

RIP Ibex.

cprofitt
March 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
That image says its Warty...

Keyper7
March 4th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I offer below undeniable proof of the variance of the human mind.

To me, Intrepid Ibex wallpaper is solid representation of ubuntu. Solid wall. Like, it is hard to be able to break through. It is a solid defense. Rough, tough. Somehow mean but it is necessary. Make one kinda wondered what on the other site of that wall. It could also mean the rough edge and brownish thing represent the earth; that we all stand in the same ground, and connect to each other by the representation of the ubuntu logo.

I found the intrepid wallpaper looked like nothing more than a glorified coffee stain.

Artificial Intelligence
March 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
"Nobody likes the default wallpapers, what is Canonical thinking?"

"Nobody likes the Human theme, Canonical hates the community!"

"Nobody likes brown, Canonical obviously knows that and ignores it!"

Reminiscences: the best amusement no TV station can ever offer.

Aye, and at least there's no commercial breaks in between ^_^

rajeev1204
March 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I dont know why ubuntu has gone for a purple wallpaper similar to the Mac.Crappy compared to previous heron and ibex efforts.

Copying is frowned upon isnt it? Ubuntu is a solid OS and can definitely come up with its own color scheme.

I think i want to go back to brown again,wait a minute,i always stuck with brown.

Using the homosapien theme in lucid right now and like it .

JUst look at the wiki page, it looks like a Mac ad in many pictures.

MaxIBoy
March 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think default wallpapers are a waste of CD space, as everyone is going to change it anyway. A solid color or gradient would be fine.

Although in my opinion the Hardy and Intrepid wallpapers were excellent and I actually left them there for a few weeks.

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I like Mark Shuttleworth's Blog on the subject (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308), and the whole idea behind some of the design changes. It does make sense.

Maybe it'll grow on me and others.. we'll see.

forrestcupp
March 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Couldn't they just use a different kernel?Not if they want a lot of people to keep using it. ;)

Its never ceases to amaze me how some people (mostly men it seems) seem to equate certain colours with male/female or gay/straight. I thought those days were long past, well at least for most of us they are. But to each their own I guess.Those days will never be long past, nor should they.

What in the world do you guys expect? From the time we are babies we are trained to think that way. There's no way to tell boy babies apart from girl babies except by the clothes that they wear. So we dress them in "girl colors" and "boy colors" so people won't be embarrassed by not knowing what to call it. So for the entire training part of our lives, we are taught that pink is for girls and blue is for boys, and there is good reason for that.

Just because the world is becoming more accepting doesn't mean that people need to put a guilt trip on me for not liking pink clothes. And just because women are rightly gaining more status in the world doesn't mean that we have to act like women and men are alike.

swoll1980
March 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Not if they want a lot of people to keep using it. ;)

Alot of the people coming to Ubuntu, don't care about Linux, or know what it is even. Why would it affect market share?

Ewingo401
March 4th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Not bad, not bad at all. I can honestly say it's the first one I haven't hated since 8.04.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Alot of the people coming to Ubuntu, don't care about Linux, or know what it is even. Why would it affect market share?

Current users care that Linux powers Ubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421595

Why would Ubuntu want to lose it's existing community.

katie-xx
March 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Well I really like the colours.
Kate

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Current users care that Linux powers Ubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421595

Why would Ubuntu want to lose it's existing community.

Ubuntu wouldn't. Read the thread. The comment was that with out Linux there would be no Ubuntu. I don't think that's the case. If Linux disappeared Ubuntu would use another kernel, and move on. Why would the users leave?

phrostbyte
March 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
People complained about brown, now all of the sudden brown is in. :lol:

I like it actually.

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ubuntu wouldn't. Read the thread. The comment was that with out Linux there would be no Ubuntu. I don't think that's the case. If Linux disappeared Ubuntu would use another kernel, and move on. Why would the users leave?

Another kernel might not be a Linux kernel, it could be HURD or BSD.

If Canonical officially supported a different OS kernel, Linux fans, who use Ubuntu, would most likely jump ship, or start another unofficial Ubuntu Linux distro.

ZarathustraDK
March 5th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I like it.

Yes I'll probably change it shortly after I've installed, but I'm sure more people will come our way because it isn't brown, which is good.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Because no other FOSS kernel comes even close to Linux in terms of hardware support. Such a change would set back Ubuntu by a decade or more.

Furthermore, replacing the Ubuntu Linux kernel is not exactly like changing your t-shirt (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2009-December/010184.html).

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 12:36 AM
So if Linux disappeared, where would you go for a kernel? Wherever that is, would probably be the same place Ubuntu would go. See what I'm saying here.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Linux isn't that important. GNU made all the apps that run on it. Distros like Ubuntu put it together into something manageable. The kernel is interchangeable.

sudoer541
March 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
arent you guys going kinda "off topic"?
anyway there is a new (almost) GDM screen.
Check out OMG!!! ubuntu!!!

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 01:01 AM
arent you guys going kinda "off topic"?
anyway there is a new (almost) GDM screen.
Check out OMG!!! ubuntu!!!

Sudoer's right we should probably be seeing if we like the new toy's or not.

Edit: Just booted my Lucid partition, still too purpley, the purple usplash needs to be darker or black.

standingwave
March 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Lucid's new wallpaper revealed (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/lucids-new-wallpaper.html)!!!!!
It looks very cute!!!! what do you think?I'm more concerned about moving the window controls to the left corner:

http://i49.tinypic.com/14tvxb4.png

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I'm more concerned about moving the window controls to the left corner

That concerned a lot of us, I'm using it now and thats not the case, still on the right. I'm more worried about the panel icons being copied from OSX, that's just not cool.

sudoer541
March 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I'm more concerned about moving the window controls to the left corner:

http://i49.tinypic.com/14tvxb4.png

you dont have to be concerned about the buttons. They will be on the right its official.

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
you dont have to be concerned about the buttons. They will be on the right its official.

Confirmed, I'm using it now and my main gripes are the purple boot themes and OSX panel icons.

If they weren't there I'd say it's actually pretty solid.

JDShu
March 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
They need to get rid of the lens flare. Its terrible.

I also do not favor purple. Its not an improvement from brown. However, like the brown theme, if they make it lighter and easier on the eyes, then it will be acceptable.

standingwave
March 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
you dont have to be concerned about the buttons. They will be on the right its official.That's good to hear!

J_Stanton
March 5th, 2010, 05:12 AM
the new default wallpaper is nice. I'm really tired of seeing people complain and complain about the old theme and now the new theme :-({|=. You know i never liked the default wallpaper in windows, but guess what - i changed it and this one is just as easy to change. Please show more support for 10.04. +1

Jesus_Valdez
March 5th, 2010, 05:23 AM
That image says its Warty...
Is my understanding that every official wallpaper says Warty for some weird reason, i guess doesn't bother anyone enough no change that.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 05:47 AM
So if Linux disappeared, where would you go for a kernel? Wherever that is, would probably be the same place Ubuntu would go.

Did you even read what I wrote? There is nowhere to go unless you want to set hardware support back by a decade or more.

Linux isn't that important. GNU made all the apps that run on it.

GNU is probably responsible for not even 1% of the software in the repositories.

The kernel is interchangeable.

When I post links you are supposed to read them. (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2009-December/010184.html)

Sand & Mercury
March 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Is my understanding that every official wallpaper says Warty for some weird reason, i guess doesn't bother anyone enough no change that.
I believe it has something to do with staying consistent for people who upgrade from previous versions (ie. to stop wallpapers of past versions from piling up). Then again, I could also be totally wrong.:popcorn:

mamamia88
March 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
damn this is one area mint really dominates ubuntu

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM
damn this is one area mint really dominates ubuntu

sudo apt-get install shiki-wise-theme

forrestcupp
March 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Ubuntu wouldn't. Read the thread. The comment was that with out Linux there would be no Ubuntu. I don't think that's the case. If Linux disappeared Ubuntu would use another kernel, and move on. Why would the users leave?I agree with that. It's the notion of Ubuntu using a different kernel even if Linux doesn't disappear that I don't agree would work. Why? Look at the current options and their compatibility versus Linux's compatibility.

Linux isn't that important. GNU made all the apps that run on it. Distros like Ubuntu put it together into something manageable. The kernel is interchangeable.That is a ridiculous statement.

First, look how far GNU made it without Linux. RMS will even admit that.

Second, GNU didn't "make all the apps." A lot of different teams of people "made all the apps" and they felt the need to associate with GNU to gain popularity. GNU made a few of the really important foundational stuff, but other than that, it's just a philosophy that other people who have done a lot of hard work identify with. If you don't believe that, take a look at the reasons for the discussions of Gnome removing itself from the GNU project.

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM
So, Brown is too ... brown,
Purple is too purple (and makes gender-preferential-questioning individuals question their preference in gender questions :confused:)
Blue is too used
Green is used by openSUE and Mint
other than Orange, which was just connected with brown previously, what other color scheme is there? that would work? Yellow?!Red?!

Tibuda
March 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yellow?!Red?!

hotdog ftw!
http://www.hotdogstandtribute.com/

BigSilly
March 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
It's plum! I love it. Ideal choice for Ubuntu says me. :)

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with that. It's the notion of Ubuntu using a different kernel even if Linux doesn't disappear that I don't agree would work. Why? Look at the current options and their compatibility versus Linux's compatibility.

That is a ridiculous statement.

First, look how far GNU made it without Linux. RMS will even admit that.

Second, GNU didn't "make all the apps." A lot of different teams of people "made all the apps" and they felt the need to associate with GNU to gain popularity. GNU made a few of the really important foundational stuff, but other than that, it's just a philosophy that other people who have done a lot of hard work identify with. If you don't believe that, take a look at the reasons for the discussions of Gnome removing itself from the GNU project.

I understand gnu didn't write all the software. That's not the point. The point is Linux isn't the apps that run on top of it. At this time you could use a freeBSD, or Solaris kernel, and get the same results. From a end user stand point it doesn't really matter.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
At this time you could use a freeBSD, or Solaris kernel, and get the same results.

LESS HARDWARE SUPPORT

Could you please help me to not feel like I am talking to a wall?

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I don't know about that. I never had a problem with hardware on either of them, so it seemed pretty much the same. If they are both Unix clones would you be able to compile the Linux drivers on the other two?

forrestcupp
March 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
At this time you could use a freeBSD, or Solaris kernel, and get the same results. From a end user stand point it doesn't really matter.

That's true for most of the major general use software. But Linux has a much greater software compatibility than either freeBSD or Solaris. For one small example, try running Cinelerra on either of them (and I don't care if you don't like Cinelerra; it's just one example). Sure, you could take the code and make some minor changes to it to port it to freeBSD or Solaris, but that does make a huge difference from an end user standpoint. Linux is more popular, so more software is specifically written to run on that kernel.

But I do agree that if Linux died off for some crazy reason, that Ubuntu could still live on. Debian already has support for using the freeBSD kernel.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
If they are both Unix clones would you be able to compile the Linux drivers on the other two?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

"Unix clone" is a term that only makes sense for complete operating systems, not kernels by themselves.

Different kernels have different APIs for drivers.

And even if "Unix-likeness" had anything to do with driver development, it is well-known that Linux, BSD and Solaris differ in how much "Unix-like" they are.

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
LESS HARDWARE SUPPORT

Could you please help me to not feel like I am talking to a wall?

Less community support as well.

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
... and this all relates to Lucid's new defaul wallapaper revealed!!!!! how?

sudoer541
March 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Could a mod close this thread please?

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have to say.. after seeing it all over the place in blogs and articles.. it's starting to grow on me some.

Either that or it's the mold... ;)

cpmman
March 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I prefer this:-

xpod
March 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I actually like purple. I even like that particular purple. I just dont think i could like it as the default background on Ubuntu though. It`s not as though it makes any real difference one way or another considering i change the default background to something a bit easier(greyer) on the eyes but it`ll be a shame to see the whole default brown/ish thing go.

I suppose when you`ve used a particular OS for 92% of the time you`ve used a computer some things can be hard to let go of eh.....just ask all the Long time Windows users.:p

SushiR
March 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Well, it doesn't look that bad, but still... I wouldn't choose that one as default. I'd rather go for something spectacular, yet easy on the eye. And as mentioned before, everyone could do a wallpaper like the purple one. There's no special feature, nothing that differs from the thousands of similar wallpapers. It's in no way unique. That's why I'm a bit disappointed.

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 10:23 PM

Not true, unconfirmed, my buttons in Lucid just jumped from the right to the left. I was just warming up to the new theme, now I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm changing them back to the right, who else will do the same?

Edit: Back to the right for me, this is a system wide change, any theme you choose will have the buttons on the left, new Linux users who want buttons on the right probable aren't going to want to have to edit the metacity settings in gconf-editor.

oxf
March 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Not if they want a lot of people to keep using it. ;)

Those days will never be long past, nor should they.

What in the world do you guys expect? From the time we are babies we are trained to think that way. There's no way to tell boy babies apart from girl babies except by the clothes that they wear. So we dress them in "girl colors" and "boy colors" so people won't be embarrassed by not knowing what to call it. So for the entire training part of our lives, we are taught that pink is for girls and blue is for boys, and there is good reason for that.

Just because the world is becoming more accepting doesn't mean that people need to put a guilt trip on me for not liking pink clothes. And just because women are rightly gaining more status in the world doesn't mean that we have to act like women and men are alike.

Well I don't think anyone is guilt tripping you or saying you should wear anything other than what *you* choose which is the whole point. It all comes down to personal choice and no one should be judged for that. Those days are certainly long gone around here! The boy/girl colour thing has largely gone in the world I and my family exist in, and certainly for adults, however, as someone else pointed out this may vary a bit depending on generation and cultural factors. It was just the absurdity of linking colours to an X or Y chromosome let alone a PC background that caught peoples attention!

Moving back to the original topic I'm looking forward to Lucid and rather like the new colour personally :)

BrokenKingpin
March 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I do not like it, but I am very happy to see no brown!

derrick81787
March 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I do not like it, but I am very happy to see no brown!

I don't like it either. I'm okay with the colors, but the blurriness is hard on the eyes I think.

Bou
March 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm okay with the colors, but the blurriness is hard on the eyes I think.

Agreed. I like the hue and colors a lot, but it needs some line design, some kind of motif to make it look less blurry. I think I would like something akin to Jaunty's WP (http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FJH0hYZmVtc/S5U4Ab9bL6I/AAAAAAAAGbs/JDdjLmtsujg/s1600/image%5B48%5D.png).

And please do away with the lens flare!