PDA

View Full Version : New Theme Revealed

Pages : [1] 2

Steve W.
March 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-gets-new-themes-logo-more.html What are your thoughts on this?

HoboJ
March 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Looks sharp to me. I'd say it's an improvement!

exploder
March 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Wow! That's pretty impressive!

Steve W.
March 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
My only gripe with the new theme is the position of the window buttons. Other than that, it is definitely an improvement. I also really like the new website page, it does a good job promoting the upcoming release.

phenest
March 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
My only gripe with the new theme is the position of the window buttons. Other than that, it is definitely an improvement. I also really like the new website page, it does a good job promoting the upcoming release.

Easily changed. Open the Configuration Editor and browse to /apps/metacity/general/button_layout and change the order of the buttons.

tad1073
March 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
Any clue when we will see these in the updates?

xfalcox
March 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Are they avaliable by updating my lucid lynx install?

Owen.C93
March 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Pretty slick. Not sure I like the minimize/maximize/close buttons style.

Steve W.
March 3rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
Well, the user interface freeze is set for tomorrow, so I believe it's safe to assume that we will see the new themes in the updates soon after that.

cecilpierce
March 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
What good is a new logo if its run by plymouth, which has never worked for me, at least I got to see it.

whoop
March 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
I don't like it at all, but still it's a big improvement :D

Did a mac user design this? The window buttons are in the wrong place :p That sucks...

The new website looks quite slick though, I like the tongue twister: "reinvigorate your pc". Yeah, I'd like to reinvigorate my pc. Did you reinvigorate your pc today? I'll be saying that all day :popcorn:

zacbarton
March 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Easily changed. Open the Configuration Editor and browse to /apps/metacity/general/button_layout and change the order of the buttons.

Thats true but the theme will need to support drawing the buttons in a different order or it will look weird (ie rounded corners were the buttons should be joined).

Imagine if the buttons (in the screenshots) were the in close, max, min order. The close button would now need to have a rounded left corner, not the right.

Schendje
March 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
New style, new logos, new web pages, new boot... All gorgeous!

I'm not liking the theme though. Too many strange and ugly gradients, coupled with the random placing of the buttons... Weird color scheme too, doesn't fit with the (awesome!) new style.

Just my opinion though. Very much looking forward to Lucid. Great job so far, Ubuntu. :)

March 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
That light GTK theme with that purple wallpaper is very good. IMO that should be default. Very good, consistant color paletes. Good defaults are very important. Also i don't like dark themes and now when ubuntu is going to be "light" oriented would be in this case dark default theme not very light :)

Only thing what is really bad are those jaggy metacity borders. Too bad that metacity cannot draw perfectly rounded window borders. I hate metacity for this like hell...

Merk42
March 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Did a mac user design this? The window buttons are in the wrong place :p That sucks..

...and if they were on the right (like they are now) I guess that means a Windows User designed it?

At least the buttons won't conflict with Notify-OSD anymore.

MacUntu
March 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Well, if the majority likes it, fine. Personally I like the dark theme (with the window buttons on the right side), but I really dislike the new logo.

You mean visually?

katie-xx
March 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
...and if they were on the right (like they are now) I guess that means a Windows User designed it?

Interesting though all the same.
We have a guy in the office who genuinely doesnt see some widgets if they arent exactly where he expects them to be.
Trivial example but we have a little maintenance tool which pauses and can restart a tag. This is initiated by button bearing the legend "GO".
Its always been positioned on the bottom right of the maintenance form but has recently been moved to the left to accommodate some additional functionality and an extra button. The guy just could not see it and it had to be pointed out to him. Even now he still has to look hard before he can restart a tag.
So moving the button alignment on Ubuntu windows might be an interesting exercise ...for some people at least.
The pics in this thread look really good ..I wish I could get on to the wiki site to see the whole thing tho.

Kate

whoop
March 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM

Exactly, we all know there are only two operating systems, windows and mac :???:

March 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Okay, now what would i change on that light theme to make it more beautiful.
These are my suggestions based on unoficial Humanity GTK theme http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1168984

1./ selected menu items should be fully rounded like in Humanity theme or in similar themes.

2./ selected panel menu items should be rounded on top

3./ arrows in menus or on combobox buttons are not nice, Humanity or current Human theme have better, lighter those. full triangle is not nice imo.

4./ same for buttons/combobox... that grayscale doesn't look nice, buttons should IMO have the same gloss and softly outlined like in Humanity theme on buttons...

5./ that red close button should be propably dark grey, not red...

6./ i asume that transparent, rounded tooltip is only mockup, but i like it

7./ font color #333333

Anyway, i like it, it looks nice, but IMO it needs some tweaking :)

Merk42
March 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
You mean visually?

Yes that's what I meant. I guess even a worst case scenario, someone new to Notify-OSD tries clicking on it and ends up minimizing/resizing/closing the window.

Exactly, we all know there are only two operating systems, windows and mac :???:
My point is they've been on the right (in the majority of distributions and themes) for a while and it hasn't been complained to be too Windows-like.
Now on the left, even in a different order, and different appearance, and suddenly it's like a Mac?

Where should they be? In the bottom middle?

sports fan Matt
March 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Very Nice =) And the 1st thing I ever do on a default on a fresh install is switch the button config. It has nothing to do with mac or windows but for me since my vision is not the great est, I can see where the buttons are positioned, if I move to the right, it is twice as hard to see (at least for me.)

exploder
March 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
What good is a new logo if its run by plymouth, which has never worked for me, at least I got to see it.

Maybe the developers planned to get Plymouth working when the new theme comes in. :D

Regenweald
March 3rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Okay, now what would i change on that light theme to make it more beautiful.
These are my suggestions based on unoficial Humanity GTK theme http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1168984

1./ selected menu items should be fully rounded like in Humanity theme or in similar themes.

2./ selected panel menu items should be rounded on top

3./ arrows in menus or on combobox buttons are not nice, Humanity or current Human theme have better, lighter those. full triangle is not nice imo.

4./ same for buttons/combobox... that grayscale doesn't look nice, buttons should IMO have the same gloss and softly outlined like in Humanity theme on buttons...

5./ that red close button should be propably dark grey, not red...

7./ font color #333333

Anyway, i like it, it looks nice, but IMO it needs some tweaking :)

Maybe liaise with the art team ?

March 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Maybe liaise with the art team ?

Who would listen to me? :)

kainos
March 4th, 2010, 12:00 AM
It's 110% better than the old default themes. Please just let the orange and brown pass into the nether. :p

Paul41
March 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
To me the new colors are ugly, the new logo looks cheesy and I'm not crazy about the theme.

whoop
March 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
My point is they've been on the right (in the majority of distributions and themes) for a while and it hasn't been complained to be too Windows-like.
Now on the left, even in a different order, and different appearance, and suddenly it's like a Mac?

Yep, I totally said the user interface looks like a Mac

Where should they be? In the bottom middle?

Well, the middle would be a happy medium, and the bottom would be refreshing, I agree with you. 8-[

cariboo907
March 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I haven't seen a link here yet, but check out the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand) for the real info. that blog linked to in the first post gets things wrong sometimes.

sllih
March 4th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Theme uses too many colours. Please stick with 2-3 colours, for example: #EEECEA (light background), purple (dark background) and orange (selected items).
Window buttons are appealing and distracting. Please tone down colours.
Window "X" button should be red only on hover.
Window main color looks bad. Please make it #EEECEA for example.
Please increase contrast between text and background.
Please abandon dark window title bar. Contrast between dark title bar and light window content is appealing and distracting. Don't catch user's eyes by this irrelevant area.
Thank you for your very needed job to date.

amano
March 4th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Judging from the pictures it looks quite nice. But I have to wait to use it for some minutes to get an overall impression.

I fear that I hate the Min/Max/Close buttons position though...

exploder
March 4th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Part of the new artwork is in the repos but we have to wait for the dependencies to be uploaded. Soon.

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I was coming here to post exactly the same thing! Apparently it's waiting on adium-theme-ubuntu, which is an artwork package for empathy...

xfalcox
March 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Can´t wait :P

katie-xx
March 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I haven't seen a link here yet, but check out the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand) for the real info. that blog linked to in the first post gets things wrong sometimes.

Oh thanks ever so much :)
Got there at last and it really does look rather swish.

Kate

Atermoon
March 4th, 2010, 02:03 AM

It's not. I already have transparent and rounded tooltips, at least on the panel and panel menu items although I have no idea since when.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cx9qxf.png
http://i48.tinypic.com/zwi5bk.png

tretle
March 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Well fedora has transparent rounded tooltips right now so I don't see why its not possible with lucid.

supernaut
March 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Pretty good theme overall, but the brown and orange icons need to be jettisoned in favour of something more neutral. They look out of place and make the theme appear cluttered and feel less fresh. I hope the light theme is the default, the dark is nice but I find dark themes take a bit of adjusting to get used to.

I'm also not crazy about the window button placement. The use of violet in the colour palette and the monochrome widgets in the menu bar already give it a bit of a Mac vibe, I think the window buttons are taking things too far.

A step in the right direction though.

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Pretty good theme overall, but the brown and orange icons need to be jettisoned in favour of something more neutral...

Might as well go blue-grey, those panel icons in the upper left are ripped from OS X.

blackened
March 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I've now shown this to three different designers (one being my wife) with laughter being the first response, followed by incredulity, and then ridicule.

I don't know what kind of person Mark Shuttleworth is, but, given his history, I assume he is a pragmatic, science-minded person with a propensity for inspiring others. That said, that type of person is not someone to whom you give authority over a final design unless you intend for that design to be a miserable failure. All designers, especially freelance, have experienced the horror of being trapped in a job where a non-creative type calls the shots and has final say-so. It's an absolute worst case scenario of which we find ourselves on the business end.

I don't know which upsets me more: the chance that real-world money was spent making this, or that we'll likely be saddled with this atrocity for another 5 years. Ugh...

Slug71
March 4th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Looks good. I wish the purple faded to a brown in the lower left though and the min., max. and close buttons should be as normal though.
Still a fan.

floborg
March 4th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Too busy. It's like the desktop team is getting paid by the number of colors they can add.

BwackNinja
March 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've got to agree with the opinion that this uses too many colors. But I mostly dislike that the colors seem to conflict with each other. The buttons are more of a grey, while everything else is kind of tan, and the icons are orange.

I dislike how the comboboxes are set up, because it implies that it isn't all just one button.

I like how the window border isn't very bulky, and I don't care about the placement of the buttons. I always like the window icon to be visible on the window because it provides consistency with the panel.

I also really don't like the scrollbars (especially because they use different types of arrows than the rest of the theme) but I'm very picky with scrollbars.

Sorta just feels like change for the sake of change - I'm part of the minority (of people who actually say anything at least) who actually likes the current theme, but then again, its always a nice sight when you use livecd's as much as I do.

Glenn nl
March 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
A mac clone.... not what i expected at all.... :(

ElSlunko
March 4th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Apple didn't event round buttons, but they were the first to put it in a titlebar. I think anyways.

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Apple didn't event round buttons, but they were the first to put it in a titlebar. I think anyways.

It's also those panel icons...

ElSlunko
March 4th, 2010, 07:38 AM
It's also those panel icons...

They also didn't invent the bluetooth icon...I think.

Edit : And the lines that signify a "signal".

wersdaluv
March 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I was coming here to post exactly the same thing! Apparently it's waiting on adium-theme-ubuntu, which is an artwork package for empathy...
That means, adium-theme-ubuntu isn't the package of the "light" theme itself, right?

What package contains the "light" theme, then? :)

Vaun
March 4th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Adium is the Ubuntu default Empathy theme.

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Adium is the Ubuntu default Empathy theme.

LOL
so the name of the theme for the chat program, is a MAC CHAT PROGRAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adium)?

Let's just call the next release "Ubuntu OS X.X Macintosh Mimic" and get it over with.

defconoii
March 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM
yea im googling for this theme, i'd like to install it, also just changed empathy theme to ubuntu/adium, looks nice

ElSlunko
March 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I thought it was called "Ubuntu" and it Resembled "Renkoo".

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I like it.

cb951303
March 4th, 2010, 09:01 AM
the logo is ok, though not really necessary.
but the theme has nothing new. same old look.
design team should visit gnome-look more often.

tipsic
March 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Just love it!!!

There will be always people saying that this is too mac or too windows. I'd rather go with mac style cause its just simple and sleak. I hate windows with all of its zillion colours and transparent windows and basically it looks like rainbow after taking magic-mushrooms. After all... I like close and other buttons on the left side cause the menu is there anyway and If you get used to it, there is not much of a need to go to the right side anymore. Yeah it looks like mac but right now it looks like windows. One thing is certain - current Ubuntu relase looks like Windows 95. It desperately needs some shading and gradient just to look more modern.

You know what I'd like... if the button icons would be the same style as the orange rounded logo. Right now it looks like every single icon was designed by a different guy and there's no unity. Maybe dark grey rounded icons and orange in hover state.

vishalrao
March 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
For me this is like good news and bad news.

GOOD: I am loving these developments, can't wait for them to land in the updates. :)

BAD: I realise I have to throw away all those stickers I bought and buy new ones now. :lolflag:

adancau
March 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I like that they finally changed it.. However.. and here where it's starting:
0. Good direction, but the look is still amateurish at best. it's still very conservative, with a very plastic feeling. Windows is mostly sanded glass, MacOS is brushed metal + glass. This one is plastic. Beveled plastic... Definitely not a designer UI.
1. Window widgets on the left? After years of maximizing/minimizng/closing your window from the top right?! Any usability studies out there to justify such a drastic change, especially for the existing user base? Not to mention that most people who adopt Ubuntu would come from the Windows side, so buttons on the right.
2. The Back button in the address part of Nautilus looks horrible with that horizontal gradient.
3. Very cluttered somehow..

blazemore
March 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Is this the default for the latest daily CD?
And what about netbooks?

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
LOL
so the name of the theme for the chat program, is a MAC CHAT PROGRAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adium)?

Yes, but only because Empathy was built by Gnome devs with the ability to use Adium's themes. Not Canonical's decision at all.

aethralis
March 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I wonder how this theme is supposed to work together with gnome-shell, as gnome-shell presupposes in my opinion that the window controls are on the right, otherwise you may accidentally trigger the overview mode. I'm pretty sure they must consider the g-s as this is most probably the future. Has the usability study taken this into account?

Keyper7
March 4th, 2010, 10:58 AM

No, this is a slight misconception.

Adium is the name of the theming scheme, which originated from Adium the program. Despite directly including the name of the program, the expression "using Adium themes" means little more than "using HTML/CSS/Javascript for theming", honestly.

The name of the Adium theme for Empathy that Ubuntu uses is, not surprisingly, "Ubuntu".

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
It's been stated (I just found out) that the screenshots are from Ken's PC, and he uses left hand window controls and a auto-hiding dock in his setup. Looks like they're going to tweak things a bit more but some aspects of the screenshots won't be default.

Sashin
March 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
It's been stated (I just found out) that the screenshots are from Ken's PC, and he uses left hand window controls and a auto-hiding dock in his setup. Looks like they're going to tweak things a bit more but some aspects of the screenshots won't be default.

Window controls on the right?

That's awesome.

uBeer
March 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
They could have foreseen that stuff like that gets noticed by people and that people are going to argue about it. But hey, that could be what they wanted as well, see what the community thinks about some aspects/changes.

Keyper7
March 4th, 2010, 11:18 AM
They could have foreseen that stuff like that gets noticed by people and that people are going to argue about it. But hey, that could be what they wanted as well, see what the community thinks about some aspects/changes.

I agree, they could've made more clear what is definitive and what is not. Because of the constant usage of words like "examples" and "concepts", I'm going to guess that nothing but the logos are definitive. But the fact that the wiki explicitly says that, for example, the CD boxes are not final and says nothing about the Gtk themes, it's a little bit confusing.

By the way, Nickedynick, where did you find this info?

optimisme
March 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I like it, I'm not sure if it's because I strongly hate the 'Human' one.

Said that, I don't think it's professional or awesome. It's simply better than the old one, and will be good to convince people to start using Ubuntu, at least they won't say: "It looks like s..t".

I don't like the new logo, I like the typography, but the 'circle of people' inside another circle makes it a little bit claustrophobic, and it doesn't match with the 'freedom' idea (just my opinion, looks like they are in jail, mmmm ... crowding)

godhika
March 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Well it has been stated by someone on the omgubuntu blog - and I have restated that comment on a different thread here ](*,) - hopefully he diddn't refer to my comment as I have not found any confirmation for that statement from official side and I don't want to rumor monger. I just said I read it somewhere. As for some other parts: Jono confirmed that the lower panel isn't gone, its just on autohide in that screenshots, and that the panel icons aren't final (as some people noticed that are mac icons).

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
It was a comment by shyisc on the OMG! Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-gets-new-themes-logo-more.html) coverage of this. I wouldn't take it 100% as gospel, but the way it's written makes it seem like valid info.

March 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I think that window buttons should be on the right side, window title in the middle and on the left i would put some menu button. Current mac-like layout is imo not consistant with other elements like tab close buttons which are on riht side, not left.

Keyper7
March 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I usually don't complain about Canonical's actions, but this was kind of a rushed marketing move.

Currently, the community cannot know for sure what they can already judge and what might change (perhaps significantly) until release.

And taking screenshots from a computer not using the standard panel setup (which is probably already decided) wasn't exactly the brightest of ideas.

KrazyPenguin
March 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Why not have McDonald's Logo come up as splash screen just like yahoo is default search engine.

and for the background have a picture of a Kia!!!!
"Kia: Proud sponsor of desktop Linux."

Maybe "Appearance" can be chaned to "ColorYourWorld" and
when shutting the computer down
"Ubuntu users drink Pepsi!!! with a logo"

And the default email program should be sponsored by UPS,
and Ubuntu One can be sponsored by UHaul, providing storage everywhere.

Extra $$$$$$$ means better O/S!!!!!

If we're going to create a desktop with circus colors, then we might as well produce some revenue too!!!!!

+1

blazemore
March 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM
If I get the daily LiveCD, will all this new artwork be default?

DoeRayMe
March 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM
If I get the daily LiveCD, will all this new artwork be default?

No, its not implemented yet :(

juanJosepablos
March 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I do not like the min.max,close on the left. This is a problem for converters (people moving out of windows OS).

Frank-NL
March 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Why don't we all just wait until it's released before we start commenting on everything that's wrong.

cb951303
March 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
one small thing: I asked this millions of times but no one can seem to answer why.

since we have window compositing for ages, why the hell rounded corners are still not smooth? (It can default to the "crappy rounded corners" when compositing is not enabled)

it's a small but IMHO very appealing detail.

March 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
one small thing: I asked this millions of times but no one can seem to answer why.

since we have window compositing for ages, why the hell rounded corners are still not smooth? (It can default to the "crappy rounded corners" when compositing is not enabled)

it's a small but IMHO very appealing detail.

It's not possible with GNOME default window manager Metacity. It's obsolete junk..

cb951303
March 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
It's not possible with GNOME default window manager Metacity. It's obsolete junk..

correct me if I'm wrong, when you enable desktop effects, doesn't ubuntu starts using compiz as the window manager? AFAIK compiz has drawing on RGBA surface support thus it's possible to create smooth rounded corners with transparent images.

Atermoon
March 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, when you enable desktop effects, doesn't ubuntu starts using compiz as the window manager? AFAIK compiz has drawing on RGBA surface support thus it's possible to create smooth rounded corners with transparent images.

The problem is Metacity, not Compiz.

godhika
March 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
The problem is RGBA support in Metacity. The devs were pushing for it but it diddn't make the cut in this release. So for really smooth rounded edges we will have to wait until lucid+1. Look here https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/dx-lucid-gtk-improvements

brucemartin
March 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
the buttons on the left are just a customization by the person who took the screenshot. there are already screenshots available with the default theme with the buttons on the right: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/update-on-new-ubuntu-themes-dark-and.html

Seventh Reign
March 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I dont like either of them. The Dark theme is way too bright. If its gonna be a Dark theme then make it a `Dark` theme. Too much contrast.

cb951303
March 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The problem is Metacity, not Compiz.

but why? rounded corners need compositing and currently ubuntu uses compiz for compositing not metacity?

forumache
March 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
but why? rounded corners need compositing and currently ubuntu uses compiz for compositing not metacity?

this is so true:

dan@trident:~$ ps -ef|grep metacity
dan 9675 9652 0 15:10 pts/0 00:00:00 grep metacity

no metacity running, so it cannot be guilty of the ugly squared corners.

Larir
March 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ooooh~

I like the light theme! :popcorn:

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
One thing still remains with those buttons, it looks like the order is Maximize, Minimize, Close (if arrows on buttons are any indication - and that's on all screenshots) where in older releases it was Minimize, Maximize, Close

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
The new wallpaper can already be downloaded: Download The New Ubuntu 10.04 Wallpaper (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/preview-and-download-new-ubuntu-1004.html)

arpanaut
March 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Nice changes coming... BUT

I really loved the font in the old logo
just seems crazy changing the "BRAND" identification?

The movement in Art & Design is nice to see, AND as usual if you don't like it you can change it... I'll probably stick with my tweaked humanity theme but will try the new and see how it feels.

The logo bit just rubs me wrong

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
What's up with the Global Menu in this screenshot: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/S4-8gpwvmaI/AAAAAAAAAc4/jOVKHK2FL3Y/SS_Selection_001.png

Wtf???

(if you look closely enough you will spot Global Menu in the top left corner).

wersdaluv
March 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
You might have compiz running, but the artwork of the window border is still metacity. Changing the window border to beryl or a kwin border would change it, but even if you use compiz as the window manager, your window border can still be metacity.

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The new wallpaper can already be downloaded: Download The New Ubuntu 10.04 Wallpaper (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/preview-and-download-new-ubuntu-1004.html)

Wow, the first wallpaper I won't even use for an hour. I'm a straight dude, c'mon... [-X

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
What's up with the Global Menu in this screenshot: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/S4-8gpwvmaI/AAAAAAAAAc4/jOVKHK2FL3Y/SS_Selection_001.png

Wtf???

(if you look closely enough you will spot Global Menu in the top left corner).

It's been revealed that the global menu, buttons on left and lack of bottom panel are because they were screenshots taken by Ken Wimmer on a setup that is not the default

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Wow, the first wallpaper I won't even use for an hour. I'm a straight dude, c'mon... [-X

Hey, I'm sure there are girls who use Ubuntu too :D

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
It's been revealed that the global menu, buttons on left and lack of bottom panel are because they were screenshots taken by Ken Wimmer on a setup that is not the default

Yes, but the Global Menu wasn't there in the theme screenshots, just on the Ubuntu website mockup. So basically the person who took the theme screenshots didn't use Global Menu. Then why is it there on the website mockup? :o

I'm not saying that will be default. But it was an interesting thing to discus...

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hey, I'm sure there are girls who use Ubuntu too :D

Then let's have Girl's and Boy's Editions. :P

Slug71
March 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Glad the buttons are back on the right! Wish we had MadsRH's wallpaper that he did for Karmic though. I dont think the brown should be completely ditched and brown and purple go well together.

Post #116.
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238409&page=12

aviramof
March 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
does it work in 26.33 kernel i have an update that i can't download for some reason something about art maybe it's that new theme?

brucemartin
March 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
it's probably the new Empaty theme or the new wallpaper. the themes have not landed yet in lucid.

Slug71
March 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Wallpaper is in.

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I just got the latest updates the only change that I see is the new default theme. Has anything else changed on the desktop visually?

amoxi
March 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I sure hope they will adapt the icons... they don't fit into the new theme at all!
Also, the min/max/close buttons could use a overhaul. they are knocked of from KDE4, aren't they? (not that this is a bad thing by default, I just like them to be non-spherical)
other than that, imo it's an improvement!
I wonder how that works together with gnome shell and its dark overlay mode... I imagine it could look gorgeous together with the dark version of the new theme!

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
So, everyone is pretty much seeing the old icons, etc but with the new theme, correct?

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM
A couple of icons have been refreshed during the last weeks. I'm not yet seeing the new GTK theme, just the wallpaper.

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Yes, same here...the old wallpaper has been removed and replaced by the new but the rest of the desktop appears to be the same. I guess that they are slowly phasing it in....The rest of the desktop kind of clashes with the new wallpaper though. :-)

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
New plymouth on its way:

plymouth (0.8.0~-11) lucid; urgency=low

* ubuntu_logo theme:
- New logo, colours and simplified design in compliance with the
artwork and with the guidelines provided by Otto Greenslade.
* Add support for additional separate places for messages (LP: #497311).

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cool...will keep my eyes out for that.... :-)

amoxi
March 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I wonder why they introduced a new theme with karmic...just to switch to a new one in the subsequent release? :confused:

Uncle Spellbinder
March 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Don't know how accurate this is, but: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/worried-ubuntu-1004-will-have-left-hand.html

sports fan Matt
March 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm running lucid and I must ask, with the latest updates does the new wallpaper show? I have the latest updates but no new wallpaper. Perhaps it needs a restart?

Uncle Spellbinder
March 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'm running lucid and I must ask, with the latest updates does the new wallpaper show? I have the latest updates but no new wallpaper. Perhaps it needs a restart?

Change it manually. Appearance preferences > Background

samh785
March 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM
They make up so much of the market collectively that (sadly) other less known OS's become almost irrelevant. Hopefully one day that will change :)

philinux
March 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm running lucid and I must ask, with the latest updates does the new wallpaper show? I have the latest updates but no new wallpaper.

Yes but only if you had it set to the default in the first place.

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've just recored a video of the new boot screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84NmCqFz74&feature=player_embedded

Sorry for it being displayed for just a few seconds...

sports fan Matt
March 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Case in point though, it does not show up. I will try a restart.

drumbug1
March 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Change it manually. Appearance preferences > Background

Another idea to try (I'm installing alpha 3 so I can try) is to create a new user after all of the updates have been installed. That should create a new profile from the system defaults.:wink:

sports fan Matt
March 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It's no biggie i'm sure it will be pushed into my install at some point. I'm not willing to go through a few hours (cause with my luck that is how long it takes to burn a cd and grab things so I'm patient) :)

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Case in point though, it does not show up. I will try a restart.

That's because you removed the default wallpaper. Try adding it again from /usr/share/backgrounds.

drumbug1
March 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
New Plymouth just showed up in my updates - installing now. :popcorn:

Update:False alarm.... it installed, but no new splash

Tompalaz
March 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Check so you download your updates from the main server
system - preferences - software sources

philinux
March 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
That's because you removed the default wallpaper. Try adding it again from /usr/share/backgrounds.

+1.

The default is called warty-final-ubuntu.png, well weird.

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah, that's because they realised after the first release that they couldn't change people's default wallpaper on an upgrade without keeping the same name.

sports fan Matt
March 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Got it..:)

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
well, the new theme package will probably be called Darklight https://launchpad.net/darklight :popcorn:

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Could get confusing with people referring to "light Darklight" and "dark Darklight" though... Unless there's a 'Lightdark' as well?

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's because they realised after the first release that they couldn't change people's default wallpaper on an upgrade without keeping the same name.

You'd think for one release, like this LTS , they'd just bite the bullet and call it ubuntu-final.png

Better to have people manually change it, (it's the part of an OS the most people change anyway), than to have it say warty forever.

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
We'll see... they could be seperated into ubuntu-light-theme and ubuntu-dark-theme or kept together in a single package.
I'm impatient, can't wait to try them out

jppr
March 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM

New... https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/plymouth/0.8.0~-12

drumbug1
March 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
looks like the source (for darklight) isn't even available... (yet)

RavisPohan
March 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM

If you have set a different plymouth theme (e. g. solar), you will need to run "sudo plymouth-set-default-theme ubuntu-logo --rebuild-initrd" through the terminal to see the new ubuntu-logo theme.

dyltman
March 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
that's awesome, new colours are cool and this is really a unique style, Doesn't remind me really of mac nor windows. Heck it doesn't remind me of any of the OS'es out there.

sports fan Matt
March 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
The new theme looks great! I think this is the 1st release I will be sticking with for 2 years.

Toadinator
March 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Some people are saying that the window action buttons are not on the correct side because of someone's personal settings; proof please? A link would be nice.

godhika
March 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/update-on-new-ubuntu-themes-dark-and.html Not an official statement, but those screenshots are also from a Canonical employe.

SIGTERMer
March 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
finally!

amazing theme, lousy button placement+look

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have to say the startup & shutdown looks all more stylish now.

tipsic
March 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'd like the font to be more narrower and a bit smaller. The karmic default look is still kinda 90's linux look with big clumsy fonts, non matching lo-color icons and ugly window decorations wich looks like win 3.1. I have used windows all my life and like 6 months ago tried out ubuntu for the first time. By now I use only ubuntu, at work, at home, donät even have windows. Everything is free and once you get used to the system basics, I'm not going back to windows. I'm sure that good looks is essential to bring over more and more people. I took my first look at ubuntu just to see the compiz at work. To be honest default Karmic look is still back at year 2000. So using a lot more attractive default theme is essential to get more users. I just wish it would'nt be just themeing but using better window manager.

haydoni
March 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Looking forward to the log-in screen being updated too!
Pretty impressed with new look... though I do think the circle-of-friends is rather small in the boot screen.

Speaking of which: Does anyone know how to change the log-in background? I was sure you used to just right-click on the power/user button... system/admin/login\ screen offers no help either! (I'm sure there is something obvious I'm missing!)

Toadinator
March 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Looking forward to the log-in screen being updated too!
Pretty impressed with new look... though I do think the circle-of-friends is rather small in the boot screen.

Speaking of which: Does anyone know how to change the log-in background? I was sure you used to just right-click on the power/user button... system/admin/login\ screen offers no help either! (I'm sure there is something obvious I'm missing!)

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/gdm2setup-is-now-available-for-ubuntu.html

ronacc
March 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
the correct button placement is .

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
the correct button placement is .

Is what? Two rows on top of each other? ;)

cecilpierce
March 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If you have set a different plymouth theme (e. g. solar), you will need to run "sudo plymouth-set-default-theme ubuntu-logo --rebuild-initrd" through the terminal to see the new ubuntu-logo theme.

Did that and still nothing shows not even the blue and white runners on the bottom.

drumbug1
March 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Did that and still nothing shows not even the blue and white runners on the bottom.

same here.

Well: I see the blue/white runners for a split second - then a moment later I'm at the login screen...

ronacc
March 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Is what? Two rows on top of each other? ;)

yep, just enough of the pannel peeking out that I can get at it :lolflag:

VMC
March 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I find it amazing all the attention a simple new theme gets.

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I find it amazing all the attention a simple new theme gets.
I think it's because people have wanted it for years.
Also ironically the one year Mark Shuttleworth says we won't get a new theme, we do. (although mine hasn't changed yet so maybe we actually won't)

ronacc
March 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
mine hasn't changed yet either , but then I haven't used the default theme since warty was a piglet .

artir
March 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
http://indlovu.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/newlogobuntu.jpg :P

davisouzarj
March 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
The really important question, who I see no one asking, is where is the bottom panel!?!?!?!?!?!

What does it means? Gnome Do by default?

cyberkilla
March 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have a 1440x900 screen and the Plymouth logo (the purple one) isn't centred vertically. It is below the centre of the screen, which is a bit strange. Anyone else notice this? It isn't a slight thing - quite noticeable, especially to lunatics such as myself.

dyltman
March 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Too true

andrek
March 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I have a 1440x900 screen and the Plymouth logo (the purple one) isn't centred vertically. It is below the centre of the screen, which is a bit strange. Anyone else notice this? It isn't a slight thing - quite noticeable, especially to lunatics such as myself.

Same here on 1366x768 although it's rather barely noticeable (for me).

The really important question, who I see no one asking, is where is the bottom panel!?!?!?!?!?!

What does it means? Gnome Do by default?

The panel's hidden. Not by default, just for the screenshot.

Digikid
March 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I would not have a problem with it except they moved the buttons to the wrong sire of the title bar.

PUT THEM BACK WHERE THEY BELONG.

Other than that......change the ugly purple to red and you will have a good theme.

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Light and Dark themes should show up in your update list soon - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-March/007332.html :)

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Too true

Find me any theme you like and I'm sure I can find random objects dealing with its color theme.

I would not have a problem with it except they moved the buttons to the wrong sire of the title bar.

PUT THEM BACK WHERE THEY BELONG.

Other than that......change the ugly purple to red and you will have a good theme.

I'm going to say this again, though it'll quickly be lost as how fast this thread moves.

Some parts of the screenshot, like the lack of a bottom panel and the close/minimize/resize buttons are NOT how they will look. Kennith Wimmer took the screenshots and he had his desktop customized past what will be default.

davisouzarj
March 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
The panel's hidden. Not by default, just for the screenshot.

Hey Andre, hope you have privileged information about this issue, because hide the bottom panel for the screenshot makes no sense for me, once it would not cover any other detail of the new theme...

On the other hand, Gnome Do or another dock / panel by default at this stage of Lucid's development would also make no sense, once I believe it would be impossible to implement until the launch.

ronacc
March 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
so move them back yourself it's not rocket science .

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM

From the code it should be centered, but the image itself isn't:

http://img.xrmb2.net/images/723502.png

If it bugs you, open a bug report. ;)

davisouzarj
March 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm going to say this again, though it'll quickly be lost as how fast this thread moves.

Some parts of the screenshot, like the lack of a bottom panel and the close/minimize/resize buttons are NOT how they will look. Kennith Wimmer took the screenshots and he had his desktop customized past what will be default.

Just let me see if I got it: so an official "new branding and theme" anouncement by Canonical was made without official images?

The screenshots we see in all official statements from Canonical staff, including the Wiki page itself, are just any customized screenshot got from any guy machine?

What does it mean? That almost all things we see in these screenshots, including background color, "may be, or may be not", the real theme we will find in Lucid?

Sorry if I am too critic, but are you guys from Canonical NUTS???

haydoni
March 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/gdm2setup-is-now-available-for-ubuntu.html

Fantastic! Thanks.

Presumably at some stage this is going to be in the default install...?

godhika
March 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Hey Andre, hope you have privileged information about this issue, because hide the bottom panel for the screenshot makes no sense for me, once it would not cover any other detail of the new theme...

On the other hand, Gnome Do or another dock / panel by default at this stage of Lucid's development would also make no sense, once I believe it would be impossible to implement until the launch.

It has been stated by Jono Bacon, Ubuntu community manager, in his blog.

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I just installed the new themes and new icons and they look beautiful!
The buttons are on the right side and they are in order maximize, minimize, close.

haydoni
March 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Just let me see if I got it: so an official "new branding and theme" anouncement by Canonical was made without official images?

The screenshots we see in all official statements from Canonical staff, including the Wiki page itself, are just any customized screenshot got from any guy machine?

What does it mean? That almost all things we see in these screenshots, including background color, "may be, or may be not", the real theme we will find in Lucid?

It IS now in the Lucid development release. These screenshots are "official"... it was certainly Canonical's plan to release them on Wednesday.

davisouzarj
March 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM
The buttons are on the right side and they are in order maximize, minimize, close.

Hey Jay_Bee, post a screenshot for us!

DeadSuperHero
March 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM

How'd you install them? Did you get it through the repos already?

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 10:16 PM
no i installed them manually using the source
here's the screenshot. Note that I'm using custom panel config and I'm still on Karmic.
edit: these are the packages that should land soon and you'll get the new look
1. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-March/007332.html - themes
2. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-March/007329.html - icons

pferraro
March 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM
For the impatient:
Themes (Radiance & Ambiance):
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40197981/light-themes_0.1.5_all.deb
Icons (Ubuntu-Mono-Light & Ubuntu-Mono-Dark):
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40195509/ubuntu-mono_0.0.6_all.deb

samh785
March 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
You'd think for one release, like this LTS , they'd just bite the bullet and call it ubuntu-final.png

Better to have people manually change it, (it's the part of an OS the most people change anyway), than to have it say warty forever.
What's the point? I don't think anyone is going to be hurt from seeing "warty" in the filename :P

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
light-themes_0.1.5.1 has already been built. ;)

Can't switch to the themes though: "This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme 'Light' is not installed".

samh785
March 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM

It wasn't for the screenshot per say, rather it's a personal customization that the canonical employee had done to his computer. Same for the left-ward window buttons. NOT a good idea to screenshot that particular desktop IMO.

nanog
March 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
The theme can be installed in karmic as well.

hunters44
March 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
i tried the alpha... the load screen looked so sweet untill i sat and watched it for ten minutes and realised it had frozen up....

gexi
March 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
hmm, just installed those *.deb's in karmic.

i quite like the metacity and gtk, and even the way they work together, but i still have to say that i can only explain those strange red buttons in metacity and the position-bar (i don't know what it's called in english) in totem, and even the scrollbar with the sentence:

»I think those are just placeholder buttons and bars.«

Maybe to keep the tension until the rc or i don't know …

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Okay, all my updates are up to date. I have the new default wallpaper. However, nothing else appears to have changed from the Karmic look.

Is there something else that I need to be doing here? I have selected the default theme as the background too...Thanks

ViRMiN
March 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
We're still waiting for it to be made available in the main repos. It's more exciting than waiting for alpha releases! :D

Digikid
March 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM

I was thinking that as well. Business 101 here Canonical.

Should be Minimize, Maximize, Close

grubdude
March 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Yea, no kidding....I was scanning the posts and thought people were saying that everything was being displayed now. I guess that I jumped the gun a bit :-)

ViRMiN
March 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hitting F5 on this thread and the "Reload" button in Synaptic, eagerly awaiting the arrival!

MacUntu
March 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Funny, for me they are in that order and it sucks, cause they are designed the other way round and nobody thought of how stupid it looks with fixed sized windows that only have the close button. Oh dear, ...

RavisPohan
March 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Yeah, that would be standard. I've been wondering about this. Could it be because they thought that it was more intuitive to have it ordered from biggest to smallest, i. e. "make very big / make invisible / close down completely? It does have a certain logic to it. But you'd think if they'd had that in mind that they'd have made some kind of reference to it in the publicity.

gexi
March 4th, 2010, 11:21 PM
well i'll attach a screen to shorten waiting time :)
before anyone asks: i just downloaded the *.deb's mentioned in this thread. i'm not using lucid.

Polniy
March 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I wonder how hard they are trying to use fixed panel background for the top one. It doesn't work as intended with different size (eg I'm using 32px top panel, not 24).

cyberkilla
March 4th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I think the purple is a bit much. I liked the black, because it was kinda neutral. Everyone is accustomed to the rather generic "black with a logo" that most operating systems employ.

The crazy purple does not suit my Clearlooks theme and blue wallpaper dammit!:p No, seriously, I don't care about that, but the purple splash isn't a perfect transition to the GDM login screen.

Is there a new design for the login screen too?:P

nilarimogard
March 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM
For those who use Lucid and get the "This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme 'Light' is not installed" error, all you have to do is customize your current theme in Appearance and choose Ambiance (or Radiance) for window controls and window border and Ubuntu-Mono-Light (or Ubuntu-Mono-Dark) for the icons.

gijsterbeek
March 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
So I guess I'm too late to submit this logo proposal....

brucemartin
March 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
For those who use Lucid and get the "This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme 'Light' is not installed" error, all you have to do is customize your current theme in Appearance and choose Ambiance (or Radiance) for window controls and window border and Ubuntu-Mono-Light (or Ubuntu-Mono-Dark) for the icons.

a recent update fixes both this issue. new .deb download link: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/0.1.5.2/+build/1543652/+files/light-themes_0.1.5.2_all.deb

joey-elijah
March 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
well i'll attach a screen to shorten waiting time :)
before anyone asks: i just downloaded the *.deb's mentioned in this thread. i'm not using lucid.

Awhh that's awesome it works in Karmic too. (And what an awesome site you're viewing in your browser... :P )

Would you mind if i popped your screenshot in the post to show Karmic users that it works?

CarpKing
March 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I like the new theme, but it's still a little too orange for my tastes. Something like that with brown and the new purple (and lots of neutral colors) could look very slick.

drumbug1
March 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM
The theme just showed up in my updates.....

icons aren't updated yet...

Owen.C93
March 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Pretty nice. Still dark is not dark yet. Nothing like crunchbang theme from epidermis.

gexi
March 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Awhh that's awesome it works in Karmic too. (And what an awesome site you're viewing in your browser... :P )

Would you mind if i popped your screenshot in the post to show Karmic users that it works?

go ahead :)

exploder
March 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I like both new themes. Ubuntu is really getting some style! I bet they make some refinements here and there before the final release but this is a very welcome change. :)

JanDM
March 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I like the new themes and it's good that they are working on it.

However, if you maximize a window the title bar, menu bar and GNOME panel are too 'dark' imho. It looks better with smaller windows. They could give the menu bar a lighter color, maybe.

MacUntu
March 5th, 2010, 12:12 AM
The dark theme has already some bad bugs reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes

Let's look hard for such bugs and report them! :)

ViRMiN
March 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Ambiance is quite nice on my netbook but, the missus isn't a fan of the new look, especially the wallpaper - she reckons its too girly!

Hoping for a matching them for the login screen now...

exploder
March 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
The new gdm just showed up, it looks extremely good combined with the rest of the new artwork! The wallpaper has been refined too and now has just a little bit more orange in it. The orange in the wallpaper ties in well with the application progress bars. These guys are really doing a fantastic job!

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Yea, that is a pretty funky orange/red color......

yoasif
March 5th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Pretty disappointed -- actually preferred Humanity.

Scrollbars are too big, buttons look way too dark, and colors are still very odd -- except somehow worse than Humanity! I guess it's a really good thing that GTK/metacity themes are so easy to change. :(

NCLI
March 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
The new themes are ready to be downloaded from the main repo :D

exploder
March 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
In my opinion, Ubuntu is getting pretty darn attractive! Very cool!

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Definitely is taking some time to get used to the darker feel....Still trying to decide if I like it better...

HalfEmptyHero
March 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM
The new themes are ready to be downloaded from the main repo :D

Whats the package name for them?

Edit: I installed using the debs, but the min/max buttons are messed up, anyone get this?

Rob2687
March 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
So it's Ubuntu Brown to Ubuntu Purple now?

Merk42
March 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
So it's Ubuntu Brown to Ubuntu Purple now?

Considering the purple isn't used as much (such as the window titles), no.

anders_c_
March 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I installed using the debs, but the min/max buttons are messed up, anyone get this?
Happens for me too, it looks like they are designed for maximise:minimize:close no idea if this is a bug or a feature though:D

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Same here....not sure if intended....

Purple is the new brown :-)

PRGUY85
March 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Loving everything so far...only blemish is not having boot screen with Nvidia drivers (worked with Nouveau)...yet that's not something for this thread.

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM
That last update made indicator icons easier to read....

kyleabaker
March 5th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Not that I could do any better, but the new artwork and themes don't really wow me. They are an improvement, just not as stunning as I had imagined they would be.

I'm hoping when they polished out the kinks, they will:
1. make sure that the window control buttons are always rounded properly (as has already been mentioned in a bug report)
2. do something about the scrollbar etches (I can't stand the look of that)
3. add better hover effects for window controls in the active window
4. last but not least, tone down on the red close button (which looks horrid againts the default purple background imo)

After polishing out the kinks I think it may be my active theme, but if they leave it looking rough there is no way I will continue using it.

Things I do like:
1. The window controls will be very slick looking once they've polished the theme so they are rounded when necessary.
2. Light and dark remixes of the same theme helps make a larger crowd happy!
3. Consistency with the boot, gdm and desktop!

gexi
March 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Whats the package name for them?

Edit: I installed using the debs, but the min/max buttons are messed up, anyone get this?

for me the solution was to log out, and log in again. but you might want to check if the button order is right in gconf before doing so.

(press alt+f2, enter gconf-editor, go to apps>metacity>general, and under button layout enter «:maximize,minimize,close», after you've logged out and in again, things should be as things should be :) )

kyleabaker
March 5th, 2010, 02:03 AM
for me the solution was to log out, and log in again.
Thanks, that helped me as well.

Atermoon
March 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Lol every time I check for updates there's a new update of the light-themes package. I think it's the 3rd time in the last 2 hours or so.

exploder
March 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
The new dark theme needs some refinements made but the theme itself is beautiful! The lighter theme is pretty darn nice and I am sure it will get some tweaks here and there. The gdm finally matches the default wallpaper, so these guys are serious about making Lucud look attractive!

I am sure refinements will be made to the artwork before the final release but the new artwork is really looking competitive with the Mac OS and I never would have imagined that happening! I have no complaints about the default artwork and where it is heading. Lucid is going to turn some heads!

kahumba
March 5th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Nautilus now looks like a hazard of random light and gray horizontal lines -which are the toolbars, menubar, table and window title bar. This is chaos.

With the light theme it's hard to figure out which window has the focus.

zacbarton
March 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I've updated the Homosapien Customizer to include styling that supports the 2 new themes (Ambiance and Radiance aswell as Dust and New wave).

So if you like the new themes but prefer the Homosapien buttons (which you can set to any color) or if you want to position the buttons (or text) on the left or right or if you want to re-show the menu icon you might want to take a look at it.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=119496

kernco
March 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating something.

I like the colors and gradients. My main problem is the windows looked unbalanced. I don't have a specific problem with the buttons being moved to the left, but keep in mind that on Mac the window title is centered, AND the menu bar is detached from the window. What we have right now on Ubuntu is the window buttons, window title, and menu bar all clustered on the left side of the window which looks cluttered and unbalanced to me.

Merk42
March 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating something.

I like the colors and gradients. My main problem is the windows looked unbalanced. I don't have a specific problem with the buttons being moved to the left, but keep in mind that on Mac the window title is centered, AND the menu bar is detached from the window. What we have right now on Ubuntu is the window buttons, window title, and menu bar all clustered on the left side of the window which looks cluttered and unbalanced to me.

Bad News: You are repeating something
Good News: The buttons are on the right

uRock
March 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I personally think this looks great. I can't wait for the rest of the artwork to be added in.

gexi
March 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I've updated the Homosapien Customizer to include styling that supports the 2 new themes (Ambiance and Radiance aswell as Dust and New wave).

So if you like the new themes but prefer the Homosapien buttons (which you can set to any color) or if you want to position the buttons (or text) on the left or right or if you want to re-show the menu icon you might want to take a look at it.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=119496

wow! greeeaaaat work. you're just awesome zac.
it is late and i'm too drunk now to express my impressedness now. but wow! :KS :KS

edit: really all the detail it takes care of. i'm pretty impressed. you can choose the title-alignment, the color of the icon in the close-button adepts if you chose a lighter color and so on ...

i can just recommend to try it and play around a little to everyone interested in a beautiful and individual metacity :)

zacbarton
March 5th, 2010, 07:01 AM
wow! greeeaaaat work. you're just awesome zac.
it is late and i'm too drunk now to express my impressedness now. but wow! :KS :KS

edit: really all the detail it takes care of. i'm pretty impressed. you can choose the title-alignment, the color of the icon in the close-button adepts if you chose a lighter color and so on ...

i can just recommend to try it and play around a little to everyone interested in a beautiful and individual metacity :)

Ta for the nice comment gexi.

I've attached 4 screenshots showing some of the new styles (including the 2 new Lucid themes) so everyone else can easily see them.

adancau
March 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
It's a step forward, but I have to agree with these articles:

http://www.kilobitspersecond.com/2010/03/03/the-new-ubuntu-lucid-look-an-appraisal/
http://blog.rfquerin.org/2010/03/04/ubuntu-rebranded/
http://troy-sobotka.blogspot.com/2010/03/ubuntu-brand-identity-in-context.html

Anzan
March 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I usually don't complain about Canonical's actions, but this was kind of a rushed marketing move.

Currently, the community cannot know for sure what they can already judge and what might change (perhaps significantly) until release.

And taking screenshots from a computer not using the standard panel setup (which is probably already decided) wasn't exactly the brightest of ideas.

No, this has been underway for a year.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308

Merk42
March 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Maybe he means it was rushed to be put together as seen in the inaccurate screenshots

Nickedynick
March 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Mark's blog about it all is really insightful, well worth a read.

I think the GTK stuff looked unfinished because it's still being tweaked. Even today there have been a few minor updates to make things settle down nicely. I have no doubt that the full release will be great though :)

haydoni
March 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I'm enjoying the new themes. I have two questions.

1. What is the laptop in the new Ubuntu advertising? It looks sweeeet!

2. The new log-off screen has a scrolling/progression "bar" (4/5 orange dots). I thought - great, this is brilliant I'm very impressed. HOWEVER, for me it ran twice round - This is a pet hate in progression bars (cycling round and round then finishing) aaaaaaargh! I hope this changes in the future.
(actually I'll put this in a separate post)

godhika
March 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm enjoying the new themes. I have two questions.

1. What is the laptop in the new Ubuntu advertising? It looks sweeeet!

It's the Dell Adamo XPS.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Maybe he means it was rushed to be put together as seen in the inaccurate screenshots

Exactly. Thank you.

brucemartin
March 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
yaiks! the themes will have the metacity buttons on the left after the most recent update: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/almost-official-ubuntu-1004-lucid-will.html

not cool!

adancau
March 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
yaiks! the themes will have the metacity buttons on the left after the most recent update

oh for crying out loud.. it's going to end up looking like a bad apple clone. a plastic one.

golusweet
March 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
oh for crying out loud.. it's going to end up looking like a bad apple clone. a plastic one.

It's not yet final . We will just have to wait and see. :p

Kazade
March 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
It's not yet final . We will just have to wait and see. :p

Seeing as we just passed UI freeze (we did right?) I'd say it was permanent :/

DoeRayMe
March 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Seeing as we just passed UI freeze (we did right?) I'd say it was permanent :/

Well if too many people complain about it being like that for the default install: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess

ezsit
March 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've been using XFCE so long and theming it myself that I don't give a rat's ***** about the default theme. Personally, I liked the browns and orange, it was different. The new purple stuff looks ridiculous. I know I'll run XFCE most of the time anyhow, so it really does not matter to me what Ubuntu does.

CJN
March 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I've been using XFCE so long and theming it myself that I don't give a rat's ***** about the default theme. Personally, I liked the browns and orange, it was different. The new purple stuff looks ridiculous. I know I'll run XFCE most of the time anyhow, so it really does not matter to me what Ubuntu does.

You mean what gnome does?

ubername
March 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hmm..,

This was my vista wallpaper (provided with Vista - <vistadriveletter>:\windows\web\wallpaper\img25.jpg if anyone wants to look for it)

Looks familiar, no?

Odd really, because prior to getting the new background yesterday I had been using the fish picture that was the default in the trial version of windows7!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421983

nilarimogard
March 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Another really bad thing about this new default buttons on the left is that it breaks a lot of themes like Dust, Dust Sand, New Wave and probably a whole lot more. What will the new users say when they try to change the theme and they get a really messy look?

blazemore
March 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Another really bad thing about this new default buttons on the left is that it breaks a lot of themes like Dust, Dust Sand, New Wave and probably a whole lot more. What will the new users say when they try to change the theme and they get a really messy look?

I think they rushed this out to fit with the UI Freeze. I'm sure it will have some changes over the next week or so, before beta 2. By the beta, the UI is usually finalised.

shafin
March 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The more I'm using the new theme, the more I'm liking it. Interestingly, the button placements also feel quite natural.

nilarimogard
March 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I think they rushed this out to fit with the UI Freeze. I'm sure it will have some changes over the next week or so, before beta 2. By the beta, the UI is usually finalised.

Still, I am surprised they didn't though about that. It's not even like those are some random themes, they are in the repositories and A LOT of people use them...

Ichtyandr
March 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I think agreeing on a colour is something that cannot be attained ever, as that’s the reason we have some many of them!

Still I agree that there are too many colours in 'Ambiance’ that I used all day: bright orange (for progressbars) some ‘dustish’ brown and aubergine.

Orange, brown and purple in one theme is a bit too much don’t you think?

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
What do you think about Dust Sand?

jppr
March 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
the system is too many dark themes, is it too difficult to make a light and colorful themes?

Ichtyandr
March 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
What do you think about Dust Sand?

Dust themes are generally very good, and Dust Sand particularly, its a consistent and clean theme

Robertjm
March 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority (I didn't read 25 pages of comments), but the new font for the Ubuntu splash screen is so radically different than what had been used, it's distracting.

Minor quibble, but felt like saying it. Hope there's a way I can change that myself.

Robert

odysseusjak
March 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
My only 'gripe' is that of the button layout. I put mine buttons on the left anyway (I come from a Mac), so I don't really care on which side they're on by default. However, my issue is the button background. If the buttons are out of the 'normal' order, then they look terrible. If you look at the new 'Radiance' theme in the Theme tab, you'll see what I mean.

Other than that, I am using the 'Ambiance' theme and, I have to say, this will probably be the first time I don't change my theme! I think it looks brilliant!

grubdude
March 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Yes, I like the grey borders against the purple background but would prefer if the grey was a bit lighter...I like the Raiance too but I think the brownish border clashes more with default ubuntu background.

By the way, I am not seeing any slash screen at all...Any ideas on this?

Methuselah
March 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I disliked seeing the wallpaper by itself but it integrates well with the rest of the UI.
I didn't mind the brown and I am fine with the purple hue.

A barown and orange desktop was instantly recognizable as Ubuntu and I'm glad they stuck with something a bit quirky and unusual while hopefully placating those who thought brown was 'dirty' looking.

One silly thing that bothers me is the coloured circle around the 'circle of friends' logo.
I don't like it as the circle tends to attract more attention than the 'circle of friends'.

But overall, I'm fine with the designs.

gjoellee
March 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
The GTK theme is still pretty ugly, but the rest is really good!

MilesRdz
March 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
The GTK theme needs a lot of polishing.
Some icons on the menu bar look too spaced.
Trash icon looks a bit blurry, and looks like it just wants to explode out of the task bar.

Atermoon
March 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Some icons on the menu bar look too spaced.

You mean the icons on the panel?
I actually think the opposite - icons in the notification area should have more space between them, like the indicators. Right now (and well, ever since I can remember) they were/are too damn close and look too busy.

MilesRdz
March 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Sorry, yes, the panel.
Too much spacing makes it seem like wasted space to me.

Sashin
March 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
It's not, it increases the hit area of the button hence the usability. If there was less space in between buttons, then the blank middle part of the panel would be wasted space. So this is actually using space more effectively, functionally and elegantly.

My only concern is the inconsistency, the wireless icon behaves differently from the rest. It doesn't have a menu. Also it doesn't seem like the spacing is equal.