PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus-Selecting filename opens it - annoying!

emarkay
March 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
If you click on the filename in a display of files, the OS wants to open it; perform the default action instead of just selecting/highlighting it.

However clicking on the icon to the left of the filename selects the item as intended/before.

This makes multiple selections (say to delete or copy) Difficult as you then have (for example) to close Archive Manager and its associated Error Dialog on the first item selected.

Obviously this is a bug - can anyone confirm so I can file a Launchpad report?

phenest
March 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Are you using double-clicking and what view are you using in Nautilus?

emarkay
March 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Human Clearlooks and single click.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I like how Dolphin does this, by having a little check box appear to select items.

Still, for what it's worth, you can also hold down Ctrl and it won't open the first file you select.

What do you think would work better here? I'm picturing it not opening the file unless you click its name or its icon (and making this clear based on when the name is underlined)...

tekstr1der
March 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
If you click on the filename in a display of files, the OS wants to open it; perform the default action instead of just selecting/highlighting it.

Maybe I am not understanding the question, but isn't this the intended behavior of the "Single click to open items" option?

jpeddicord
March 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Maybe I am not understanding the question, but isn't this the intended behavior of the "Single click to open items" option?

Yeah.. If you don't want it to open on click, then change it back to double-click.

seeker5528
March 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
However clicking on the icon to the left of the filename selects the item as intended/before.

Personally I'm not a big fan of single click, but I switched to single click and doing 'Shift+Click' and/or 'Ctrl+Click' both work fine for me without opening anything.

Later, Seeker

oomingmak
March 6th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Gnome's implementation of single-click is utter rubbish, and don't even get me started on GTK dialogs (which won't do single-click under any circumstances, no matter how much the user wants it). See this bug from nearly 7 years ago: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121113#c55

But back on topic, In Nautilus there is no facility for selection without being forced to use a modifier key on the keyboard. There should be mouse-over highlighting and selection in addition to the single-click launch action (preferably with a user configurable timeout for the selection - just like KDE 3.x has).

Although I really don't like KDE at all, I do think that the Dolphin solution of having a + sign appear for selection is an ingenious alternative (and very easy to become comfortable with, even for an absolute die hard single-clicker like me).

emarkay
March 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Waitaminite.. So "Single C.click" not only selects it but opens it, also, immediately?

Well then how do you select anything with single click??????

Confused.

blakamin
March 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Waitaminite.. So "Single C.click" not only selects it but opens it, also, immediately?

Use double-click:rolleyes:
The single (first) click selects it and then, if needed, the double (second) opens it... If the second isn't used, you just have single-click selected your file

emarkay
March 8th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Use double-click:rolleyes:
The single (first) click selects it and then, if needed, the double (second) opens it... If the second isn't used, you just have single-click selected your file

Yes, but isn't "Select" not the same as "open"?

Back to double click...

psyke83
March 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Yes, but isn't "Select" not the same as "open"?

Back to double click...

Ask yourself this question: was it ever necessary to click twice in other to select an item? That, my friend, would be the mytical "triple-click" behaviour ;).

ronacc
March 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Confused.

I you have nautilus set for single click you can hold down the alt key while selecting multiple items then after you select the last one right clicking brings up the action menu , or just hold the LMB on the last selection to drag and drop .