PDA

View Full Version : Booting processed stopped ureadahead-other error

Yaho
March 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Bonjour / Hi,

Booting processed stopped at: ureadahead-other error main process terminated with status 4.

This problem occurred first on a Lucid Alpha 2 system, and now on the same computer cleanly reinstalled with Lucid Alpha 3.

It doesn't happen for every boot.

These morning the system finally did boot "normally" on the third reboot.

An approach I have been using when experiencing this issue is to boot from recovery mode, and launch gdm manually from prompt. That works every time.

System is stable otherwise.

ratcheer
March 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Don't feel too bad, it happens to me every single time with Lucid. I boot the same way you do (Recovery Mode to Root Prompt to start gdm).

Tim

ljrmorgan
March 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I also have this problem. I upgraded from Karmic, and now when gdm should start I get two messages about ureadahead-other errors instead. I do hear the drum noise that I used to get when gdm started on karmic, and I have a mouse pointer on an otherwise black screen (apart from the error messages).

I just hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to a terminal and logged in there, then I hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 to see the error messages so I could post them here, and instead gdm was there waiting for me! I logged in as usual and everything seems to be working. I didn't try this before, so maybe it was just a fluke, but if anyone has the same problem give this a shot, it might work!

Terrycymru
March 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I am having exactly the same issue as Yaho. Has this been reported as a bug?

grumpymole
March 11th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Try pressing enter when you see the messages. I get them all the time, but I *think* that hitting enter gets me passed.

Terrycymru
March 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Since today's update boot seems to be OK for me. I have booted several times and not seen the ureadahead-other message - but it may be too early to say it is definitely fixed!

teh603
March 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Have you tried using Synaptic to uninstall Plymouth? That got rid of the ureadahead errors in my system as well as the autologin failure and boot failures, although it now causes some annoying error messages about Plymouth terminating with Status 2.

Whatever the heck Status 2 is.

dino99
March 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Have you tried using Synaptic to uninstall Plymouth? That got rid of the ureadahead errors in my system as well as the autologin failure and boot failures, although it now causes some annoying error messages about Plymouth terminating with Status 2.

Whatever the heck Status 2 is.

No doubt about Plymouth's errors, it's not the first one and not the last too

anaconda
March 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I have the same problem.
Boot hangs right after grub every time. Luckily booting to recovery mode works. From there I can run startx to get to grephical environment.

When booting normally, it hangs, and even Ctrl-Alt-F1 wont work...

Lucretius
March 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
i have this problem and found pressing "enter" when it hangs allows the booting process to continue

dino99
March 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
when things gone wrong, i'll first clean my system:

- run bleachbit as root (carefully, don't check everything)
- uninstall/purge packages giving errors, then reinstall.

Usually that's working.

Terrycymru
March 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
i have this problem and found pressing "enter" when it hangs allows the booting process to continue

Unfortunately, the problem is back today.

Lucretius thanks for the tip. Pressing "enter" when it hangs works for me too. :)

zika
March 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Simply,
sudo aptitude purge plymouthand enjoy...

keybuk
March 13th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Simply,
sudo aptitude purge plymouthand enjoy...

This is really bad advice.

Without plymouth, you'll have no information during boot about fscks (you'll just sit at a blank screen wondering what's going on) - and you'll have no ability to recover if there's issues checking or mounting filesystems.

zika
March 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Without plymouth, you'll have no information during boot about fscks (you'll just sit at a blank screen wondering what's going on) - and you'll have no ability to recover if there's issues checking or mounting filesystems.OK. You're right. But, in last few weeks that was the only way I could get trouble-free boot. Even without plymouth I still do not have proper shutdown and KMS will get me to crash in any time from several minutes to several hours or days. So, having bigger problems I chose to eliminate one that is pertinent to boot time, only. Since I was trouble-shooting, and since, just this morning new version of gdm came that solved problem of plymouth staying up, even though boot finished, that advice was kind of OK, at the time it was given...

ratcheer
March 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
OK. You're right. But...

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Tim

zika
March 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM

Without plymouth, you'll have no information during boot about fscks (you'll just sit at a blank screen wondering what's going on) - and you'll have no ability to recover if there's issues checking or mounting filesystems.I've reinstalled plymouth today. It seems it made a significant progress... It's staying, for now...

Yaho
March 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I have now done a fresh install of Lucid Beta 1. The ureadahead-other error flashes but the system goes into GDM without any problem so far.

Yaho

Yaho
March 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Everything has been fixed with Lucid Beta 1.

I suggest that everyone with questions about ureadahead read this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434502

Regards