PDA

View Full Version : Where did Synaptics defaults go in 10.04?

B.W.
March 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Where are the options (defaults?) of Synaptics touchpad in NBR 10.04 Lucid Lynx?
They are gone from /etc/hal (obviously).
The trick with /lib/udev/rules.d/66-xorg-synaptics.rules doesn't seem to work at all.
synclient applies the changes but only for duration of the session...

In particular, I want to switch 2-finger and 3-finger tap actions to their old defaults: 2=middle button, 3=right button, from the current reverse.
synclient TapButton2=2
synclient TapButton3=3
works

ENV{x11_options.TapButton2}="2"
ENV{x11_options.TapButton3}="3"
added to /lib/udev/rules.d/66-xorg-synaptics.rules - doesn't.

B.W.
March 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
...bump?

B.W.
March 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Was switching the tapping standard originated by the same person who decided moving the window buttons to the left corner is a good idea?

korg91
March 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
same problem...up

jfrorie
March 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I believe that xorg.conf is the proper location now.

B.W.
March 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
It doesn't exist in the standard distribution. How do I get X to generate one? (...or whatever is the correct method to get it in place without breaking working defaults?)

jfrorie
March 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
It doesn't exist in the standard distribution. How do I get X to generate one? (...or whatever is the correct method to get it in place without breaking working defaults?)

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

"man synaptics" should give you the rest of the options.

I THINK this is right. In theory you can also create evdev rules, but TPTB on the xorg list stated xorg is the way to do it.

yelo3
March 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
All those properties are also available throuth xinput. Maybe there's a way to store them somewhere.

lazerscience
April 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
tried to play around with the udev files like you did, also no result!
also i think i need to enable shmconfig, but no idea how to do that in lucid! any help is appreciated!

Mr. Picklesworth
April 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM
A made a post about this yesterday: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9086064&postcount=5

Hope it helps!

rifak
April 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM
hey everyone,
just installed the beta last night and after the fresh install, the trackpad was working great (2 finer tap=right click, 3 finger=middle) and 2 finger scrolling. however, after the initial set of updates, they have been reversed. now, 2 finger=middle and 3 finger=right click. any ideas? i tried using xinput, but nothing is changing when changing the properties.

rifak
April 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
alright, well i just solved it. using xinput, i changed the "Synaptics Tap Action" property to the value of 2, 3, 0, 0, 1, 3, 2 and the "Synaptics Click Action" to values of 1, 2, 3,. this has retrieved the 2 finger right click and 3 finger middle click. pretty much just got lucky trying different combinations. is there any more documentation for xinput explaining the values and stuff, just for future reference.

rifak
April 16th, 2010, 03:55 AM
sooo an update to the situation. the most recent xorg-synaptics package resolved the issue completely...no need to manually adjust anymore.