PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] simulating two finger scrolling on touchpad doesn't work in lucid as it did in karmic

miegiel
March 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Solved:

open a Terminal and paste

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 32 10
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 32 6
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1 1
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 32 150

i created a script and put it into the startup-apps!

cheers

touchpad.sh edited

#!/bin/bash
#
# list of synaptics device properties http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html#sect4
#
# Some useful commands :
# xinput list
# xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
# xinput test "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
# xinput test-xi2 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
#
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 8 # Below width 1 finger touch, above width simulate 2 finger touch. - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 1 0 # vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling - values: 0=disable 1=enable
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 0 0 0 # vertical, horizontal, corner - values: 0=disable 1=enable
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 250 # stabilize 2 finger actions - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Tap Action" 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 # pad corners rt rb lt lb tap fingers 1 2 3 (can't simulate more then 2 tap fingers AFAIK) - values: 0=disable 1=left 2=middle 3=right etc. (in FF 8=back 9=forward)
#xinput --set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 # swap left and middle click, gives you middle click on the left button and left click on tap. - values: lb, mb, rb, b4, b5, etc.
exit

For problems with the script loading at startup see : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9154700#post9154700

==================================================

Original post :

In karmic I used a .fdi file (/etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi) to simulate 2 finger scrolling. Modern touchpads that don't support two-finger scrolling, but do support "gestures" will register 2 fingers as a wider touch than a single finger. The width of the touch is what I used to simulate a 2 finger touch.

Besides the 2finger scrolling I also used the .fdi file to make the touchpad better recognize double clicks. It takes 2 or 3 attempts now before the pad gets it. And to make the left button act as a middle button. The middle button is to functional in linux to do without and simulating the middle button by pressing the left and right button simultaneously is a drag.

Anyway, I suspect it all has to do with the hal removal (though hal is still installed it seems). I would really like to know what the new lucid way is to get my touchpad tweaks up and running again. Or else, how to resurrect hal.

For the curious : /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<!-- external mouse
<device>
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">mouse</merge>
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name" string="Linux">
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">false</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
-->
<device>
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
<!--
DON'T USE SHMConfig (unless you must, for example to run 'synclient -m 10'),
obsolete (in karmic and later at least) and a security risk.
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge> -->
<!--
The following is an example of swapping buttons on the Synaptics
TouchPadthat DOESN'T WORK anymore. See the end of 'man synaptics'
<merge key="input.x11_options.Buttons" type="string">3</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>

NOTES :
<merge key="input.x11_options.RTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge> disable tap-right-top-corner button
<merge key="input.x11_options.LTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge> disable tap-left-top-corner button
<merge key="input.x11_options.LBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge> disable tap-left-bottom-corner button
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger1" type="string">1</merge> For pads that support true multitouch
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger2" type="string">3</merge> For pads that support true multitouch
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger3" type="string">2</merge> For pads that support true multitouch
-->
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">2</merge> <!-- set tap-click to middle mouse button, run 'xinput set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 2 1 3' to swap buttons 1 and 2. This gives you middle click on the left button and left click on tap. -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">0</merge> <!-- disable 2 finger tap-click, 2 finger tap-click to menu = 3 -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">0</merge> <!-- disable 3 finger tap-click -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.RBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge> <!-- disable tap-right-bottom-corner button (is on by default on my machine) -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge> <!-- disable edge scrolling -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateMidButtonTime" type="string">0</merge> <!-- effectivelly disable middle button emmulation -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" type="string">4</merge> <!-- set 2 finger emulation presure -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinW" type="string">7</merge> <!-- set 2 finger emulation pinch width -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge> <!-- enable 2 finger scrolling -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.JumpyCursorThreshold" type="string">150</merge> <!-- stabilize 2 finger tapping and 2 finger scrolling -->
<merge key="input.x11_options.MaxDoubleTapTime" type="string">50</merge> <!-- make doubletap more responsive -->
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

tretle
March 2nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Go to System/Preferences/Mouse

Click on the touchpad tab and you can select two finger scrolling under the scrolling heading.

You can also enable horizontal scrolling.

Hope this helps.

miegiel
March 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
Go to System/Preferences/Mouse

Click on the touchpad tab and you can select two finger scrolling under the scrolling heading.

You can also enable horizontal scrolling.

Hope this helps.

I did manage to make my doubletap a bit more responsive. I'm using xubuntu now, but from the last time I used ubuntu, I remember you only had that option if you had a touchpad with true multitouch.

In xubuntu 10.4 I don't have a two finger scrolling option in my mouse/touchpad preferences (I might have if I had a true multi-touch-pad :-k). But I don't mind hopping back to ubuntu for a while. It only takes 30min to install the basics.

Sashin
March 3rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Two fingers is greyed out.

tnat
March 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 32 10
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 32 6
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1 1
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 32 150

i created a script and put it into the startup-apps!

cheers

Sashin
March 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Nice, I have two finger functionality back. This is awesome.

miegiel
March 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM

Great, thanks mate. Now I only need my middle-button back, but I think I can figure that out with this push in the right direction.

edit:
Heh, my side-scrolling is still on, but I'll figure that out too.

tnat
March 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Great, thanks mate. Now I only need my middle-button back, but I think I can figure that out with this push in the right direction.

edit:
Heh, my side-scrolling is still on, but I'll figure that out too.

You could disable side-scrolling in the gnome-mouse-properties :)

miegiel
March 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You could disable side-scrolling in the gnome-mouse-properties :)

Yet again, not in xubuntu :-k But I can turn it off with xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' ... too. I found a nice list of synaptics device properties (http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html#sect4). The last thing I need to figure out is to make my left-button below the pad my middle button again. I used to do that by making 1 finger tap my middle button and then swapping the middle and left "click". OK, fixed that too :D Time to make the script.

Enable simulated two finger scrolling

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 32 4
xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 32 7
Below width 1 finger touch, above width simulate 2 finger touch. Enable vertical and horizontal scrolling.

It turns out I don't need :

Disable edge scrolling :

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 8 0 0 0
vertical, horizontal, corner

Stabilize 2 finger actions :

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 32 250

Set/disable buttons and shuffle left and middle click :

xinput set-int-prop '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Tap Action" 8 0 0 0 0 2 0 0
xinput set-button-map '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' 2 1 3
pad corners rt rb lt lb tap fingers 1 2 3 - values: 0=disable 1=left 2=middle 3=right etc.(can't simulate more then 2 tap fingers AFAIK)

miegiel
March 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM
man xinput said --set-int-prop is deprecated and to use --set-prop instead. So I changed the command a bit.

Final script:
tochpad.sh

#!/bin/bash
#
# list of synaptics device properties http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html#sect4
#
# Some useful commands :
# xinput list
# xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
# xinput test "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
# xinput test-xi2 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
#
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 8 # Below width 1 finger touch, above width simulate 2 finger touch. - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 1 0 # vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling - values: 0=disable 1=enable
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 0 0 0 # vertical, horizontal, corner - values: 0=disable 1=enable
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 250 # stabilize 2 finger actions - value=pad-pixels
xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Tap Action" 0 0 0 0 2 8 0 # pad corners rt rb lt lb tap fingers 1 2 3 (can't simulate more then 2 tap fingers AFAIK) - values: 0=disable 1=left 2=middle 3=right etc. (in FF 8=back 9=forward)
xinput --set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 # swap left and middle click, gives you middle click on the left button and left click on tap. - values: lb, mb, rb, b4, b5, etc.
exit

jtholb
March 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
The script works great for me, but I'm having trouble getting it to run at startup. Putting it in Startup Applications doesn't seem to be working for me and I still have to open up terminal and run it myself every time I restart the computer. Any suggestions?

miegiel
March 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
The script works great for me, but I'm having trouble getting it to run at startup. Putting it in Startup Applications doesn't seem to be working for me and I still have to open up terminal and run it myself every time I restart the computer. Any suggestions?

Are you still using jaunty? Just curious ;) it's good to know what versions this works for.

In any case, what are exactly the commands you use to run it in a terminal and to start it with "Startup Applications"?

For both I use :

sh touchpad.sh
The script is saved in my home directory (not in a sub dir of my home) as touchpad.sh

jtholb
March 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
No, sorry, I'm using lucid.

I also have the script located in my home directory. Under command in the "Startup Applications" I have
/home/user/touchpad.sh

Per your recommendation I've also tried the following but I don't have the two finger scroll functionality after a reboot.
sh /home/user/touchpad.sh

At that point I just open up the terminal and run the following and things are beautiful until the next reboot.
/home/user/touchpad.sh

miegiel
March 25th, 2010, 12:12 AM
No, sorry, I'm using lucid.

I also have the script located in my home directory. Under command in the "Startup Applications" I have
/home/user/touchpad.sh

Per your recommendation I've also tried the following but I don't have the two finger scroll functionality after a reboot.

At that point I just open up the terminal and run the following and things are beautiful until the next reboot.
/home/user/touchpad.sh

What happens if you run

in a terminal ?

And try

sh touchpad.sh
too. You shouldn't need to give the full path if the script is in your home dir.

Also check for typos ;) I just noticed I named the script tochpad.sh, luckily I made the typo in Startup Applications too.

jtholb
March 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The first works, the second doesn't (you have to specify the directory).

But my problem isn't running the script from the terminal, it's getting it to run from the Startup Applications, or just getting it to run after I've logged in...any ideas? Thanks.

miegiel
March 27th, 2010, 04:31 AM
The first works, the second doesn't (you have to specify the directory).

But my problem isn't running the script from the terminal, it's getting it to run from the Startup Applications, or just getting it to run after I've logged in...any ideas? Thanks.

Only trying

in Startup Applications. But there must be other ways to start a script than through Startup Applications. Just don't ask me how ;)

It's strange though. Commands that work in a terminal always work in Startup Applications for me.

jtholb
March 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I find it odd as well. I put a short script in Startup Programs that I wrote that runs fine when I start up (it just prints the date in a text file), but this touchpad script isn't happening. No idea why.

jtholb
March 31st, 2010, 09:18 PM
After updating Lucid beta with the latest packages (I'm sorry to admit that I don't know which one did it) I'm getting

unable to find device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

for each xinput line when I run the script in terminal. Anyone else run into this after updating the beta to the latest packages?

miegiel
March 31st, 2010, 09:29 PM
After updating Lucid beta with the latest packages (I'm sorry to admit that I don't know which one did it) I'm getting

unable to find device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

for each xinput line when I run the script in terminal. Anyone else run into this after updating the beta to the latest packages?

The syntax for devices in xinput has changed. I changed the script (see 1st post), for example :

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
changed to

I also bumped into this post in another thread today :

It is required to use udev. Try something like the following in /etc/udev/rules.d :

ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"
KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}!="1", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

ENV{x11_options.TapButton1}="1"
ENV{x11_options.TapButton2}="2"
ENV{x11_options.TapButton3}="3"
ENV{x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll}="1"
ENV{x11_options.RBCornerButton}="3"

LABEL="xorg_synaptics_end"
Seems there is another method :D

jtholb
April 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help--I really appreciate it. I'm also going to take a look at the other option you suggested.

miegiel
April 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the help--I really appreciate it. I'm also going to take a look at the other option you suggested.

you're welcome :D

omne
April 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
This script used to work two days ago, but it stop after the last update of the synaptic package.
The script send me :
unable to find device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" for each command
and

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 40

donít give me error but donít work.
Do you have the same isues ?

miegiel
April 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
This script used to work two days ago, but it stop after the last update of the synaptic package.
The script send me :
unable to find device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" for each command
and

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 40

donít give me error but donít work.
Do you have the same isues ?

Yes, I was.

The syntax for devices in xinput has changed. I changed the script (see 1st post), for example :

xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 '"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"' "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
changed to

I also bumped into this post in another thread today :

It is required to use udev. Try something like the following in /etc/udev/rules.d :

ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"
KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}!="1", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

ENV{x11_options.TapButton1}="1"
ENV{x11_options.TapButton2}="2"
ENV{x11_options.TapButton3}="3"
ENV{x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll}="1"
ENV{x11_options.RBCornerButton}="3"

LABEL="xorg_synaptics_end"

Seems there is another method :D

jtholb
April 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM
Adding
sleep 5 to the beginning of the script (just before the first xinput line) to add a delay solved my issues of not having the script load at login in case anyone else has similar issues.

miegiel
April 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Adding
sleep 5 to the beginning of the script (just before the first xinput line) to add a delay solved my issues of not having the script load at login in case anyone else has similar issues.