PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Outgoing mail ALWAYS flagged as spam

Norami
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I've got a web server that's hosting a few sites, and there are a few WordPress instances with these sites. With Wordpress, whenever a user registers with the site, they receive an email, blah de blah. I'm sure you know how all that works. With my server, it sends mail via Sendmail. This is all fine and good, except no matter what, it's flagged as spam. Is there any way to correct this?

Keep in mind that this isn't a mail server, and the only reason the server ever sends mail is for new wordpress users and password resets.

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
If you have a dynamic IP, especially if you host this server at home,t hat's probably why. Otherwise, it could also be a misconfiguration on your part. If you want, you can send an email to firas@fkraiem.org, I'll see what SpamAssassin says about it.

Norami
March 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
The server has a static IP. I sent an e-mail to that address. It will be sent by wordpress@criticallypretentious.com

I guess I should mention that the server runs on Ubuntu Server 9.10

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
It is indeed misconfiguration on your part.

Mar 2 09:49:32 itsuki sm-mta[97930]: o229nWPD097930: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<www-data@webhost>, relay=204-232-208-69.
static.cloud-ips.com [204.232.208.69], reject=553 5.1.8 <www-data@webhost>... Domain of sender address www-data@webhost
does not exist

Check your From: header.

Norami
March 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
This may sound stupid, but where do I check the From: header? Is it something set in the Sendmail configuration? if so, where might that be?

I figured it might be some sort of configuration error, I actually never configured anything with Sendmail. I just installed it through apt-get.

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
This may sound stupid, but where do I check the From: header? Is it something set in the Sendmail configuration? if so, where might that be?

No, it is set by the program sending the mail. In your case, you should have something in the Wordpress admin panel to customize the sender address of confirmation emails.

Norami
March 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Odd. In the WordPress CP, the field for the e-mail address to send from is a valid email address. But it still gets flagged as spam

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Try this script:

<?php
$to = 'firas@fkraiem.org';
$subject = 'the subject';
$message = 'hello';
$headers = 'From: webmaster@example.com';

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

Be sure to replace the From: address with a valid one, save the script somewhere on your server and open it in your browser. Yes, it will just show a blank page, that's normal. ;)

Norami
March 3rd, 2010, 12:52 AM
Ok, I sent it.