PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to internet (classic...)

redlightbreaks
March 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM
1. How were you trying to get online? ethernet cable from cable modem OR wireless with wirelss router. I get the greyed out disconnected for each in the network manager

2. What hardware are you using? HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop, standard everything. Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

lspci : Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet

3. Who is your Internet Service Provider (and in which country)?
cox cable USA
4. Which version of Ubuntu are you using? e.g. Ubuntu 9.10,

5. Can you get online with any other method? Nope, can't connect to the internet in anyway.

6. How are you getting online to post on this forum? A windows 7 IBM thinkpad

7. Include the output from the following commands from Terminal:

copying and pasting is not an option since I can't post from the linux box... so please excuse my brevity here

ifconfig:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:24:ae:0f:1e
UP BORADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
... more stuff
Interrupt:27 base address:0x8000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
... more stuff

I'm not dual booting.

I know this is a common problem for people but none of the threads I've found helped me (or seemed to help most other people either?)

Any ideas you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

redlightbreaks
March 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
Forgot to mention,

This is a fresh install of 9.10.

I was running windows Vista and everything was working perfectly.

Thought I'd be clever and ditch windows all together and install the new Ubuntu... and lost all access to the internet, have been at this a day now with no progress.

Had other weird bugs too after switching from Vista(popping speakers, strange keyboard characters) But have managed to fix those (thumbs up) ...but laptop is pretty useless without the internet ... (big thumbs down).

Thanks again!

redlightbreaks
March 2nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
Also if anyone else had issue with connecting to both wired and wireless networks and has had success with a thread already on here would you mind pointing me to it? Even if it seems tangential, since I'm out of ideas anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

redlightbreaks
March 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Not ready to give up on this yet.

Just did a fresh install of 9.10 on my HP Pavilion dv9000, I think some of the fixes I tried before may have don't more bad than good.

Still can't connect via ethernet or wireless though.

Wireless and networking is available for my user
The wireless switch is on
Trying to connect via ethernet cable from cable modem.

Thanks!