PDA

View Full Version : Using 10.04 alpha 3 ? Is it stable enough for home desktop ?

brjoon1021
March 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
I could not get the last release or ubuntu to even boot from the CD on my desktop, same with Mint and any ubuntu based distro.

I am anxious to get back to ubuntu. Is the alpha that was just released really buggy or is it probably doable for a home desktop ?

B.

drewsus
March 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM
So let me get this straight...
You can't get Ubuntu 9.10 to boot for you and you are hoping that the ALPHA release of 10.04 will work?
I could be wrong, but you weren't very clear.
Anyway, I wouldn't ever rely on an alpha of anything being incredibly stable.

namluc
March 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
not even the live disk?

are you sure you put the cd in the cd tray and not somewhere strange like in your dog's mouth?

did you select to boot from cd and not from hard disk..?

scouser73
March 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
I could not get the last release or ubuntu to even boot from the CD on my desktop, same with Mint and any ubuntu based distro.

I am anxious to get back to ubuntu. Is the alpha that was just released really buggy or is it probably doable for a home desktop ?

B.

It's an alpha so it's still going to be un-usable for a full time desktop.

pastalavista
March 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
It's an alpha so it's still going to be un-usable for a full time desktop.
I was having a lot of trouble with Karmic 9.10 on my Acer/AMD/ATI laptop. I downloaded a daily release of Lucid and it worked great. It fixed my power management and graphics problems (it wouldn't resume from suspend and flash video was terrible). I installed flashplayer-nonfree this time instead of adobe-flashplayer and flash video is much better.

So I installed it and am now using it as my only OS. NO troubles at all so far except Ubuntu One keeps crashing and I never even started it and don't really need it. But it doesn't seem to hurt anything else.

NOTE... my laptop is a hobby/toy. I don't work with computers, I play with them.

Mark Phelps
March 1st, 2010, 11:27 PM
Not an Ubuntu problem. Most probably a boot setup problem.

Alphas, and even Betas, are for testing -- and NOT recommended for systems you need to rely upon.

Seventh Reign
March 2nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
I get a kick out of this question everytime its asked (which is ALOT).

If Stability is important, do not install Alpha/Beta software/systems. Period. There is no need to ask, just stay away from it.

Alphas are for users who are ready, willing, and sometimes WANT their systems to become FUBAR. If you cant take even the slightest chance of that, dont touch it.

ratcheer
March 2nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
I would not recommend it (Lucid Alpha) for an everyday desktop, at this point. I am testing it in an extra partition and, even when it goes well for a few days, then something or other breaks. I see quite a few complaints from others, too.

It is not ready and it is not supposed to be ready. Keep working on Karmic.

Tim

ElSlunko
March 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Pretty much what everyone has says. A big NO. At any point something could be changed for testing and cause breakage.

exavoid
March 2nd, 2010, 02:10 AM
Also the same opinion. Use Karmic.

Regards

23meg
March 2nd, 2010, 02:19 AM
The question has been answered thoroughly multiple times. There may be anecdotal success stories, but that doesn't change the fact that the development branch is prone to substantial changes and malfunction at any point.