PDA

View Full Version : Recording an input using no-grabber

gwagchunks
February 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi

Just trying to get my head around recording from my satellite sky box using no grabber. I have a channel set up (channel 914) to record from the STB using the happauge PVR-150 card. I manually set the STB to the right channel. If go watch TV then goto the channel 914 I see the required channel. My problem is, if I press record, it seems to only record for about 5 mins, or sometimes 30, sometime 10. Can someone explain how pressing R with out a grabber is supposed to work? Setting up a manual schedule is fine, but sometimes when watching this channel it would be good to just hit record and then stop it when finished. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

nickrout
February 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hi

Just trying to get my head around recording from my satellite sky box using no grabber. I have a channel set up (channel 914) to record from the STB using the happauge PVR-150 card. I manually set the STB to the right channel. If go watch TV then goto the channel 914 I see the required channel. My problem is, if I press record, it seems to only record for about 5 mins, or sometimes 30, sometime 10. Can someone explain how pressing R with out a grabber is supposed to work? Setting up a manual schedule is fine, but sometimes when watching this channel it would be good to just hit record and then stop it when finished. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

I think it might record to the next 30 minute boundary, ie the hour or half hour. Why not set it up rpoperly with a channel changing script, grabber etc?

SiHa
March 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
I think it might record to the next 30 minute boundary, ie the hour or half hour. Why not set it up rpoperly with a channel changing script, grabber etc?
Yep, that's exactly what it does. Probably to stop you hitting 'R', answering the telephone, then forgetting that its' recording and filling the HDD.

gwagchunks
March 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. That explains the record issue. I did look at channel changing some months ago but gave up as I couldn't get my head around it. I'd like to have another go at this now, but I'm not even sure if the ir blaster that comes with the PVR-150 works, and I'm not sure what grabber I could use? Do you have any links I could follow? Please bear in mind that even though I've been dabbling with myth for up to a year now, I still am very much a newbie!

Thanks again.

SiHa
March 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
If the blaster's no good, I guess you could still achieve properly timed recordings using a grabber for your EPG data.

The Radio Times grabber seems to have quite a lot of SKY channels listed:
http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat

But I gave up trying to use a grabber very quickly (out of laziness) and just settled for EIT data, so I can offer no advice on that front, I'm afraid.

nickrout
March 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. That explains the record issue. I did look at channel changing some months ago but gave up as I couldn't get my head around it. I'd like to have another go at this now, but I'm not even sure if the ir blaster that comes with the PVR-150 works, and I'm not sure what grabber I could use? Do you have any links I could follow? Please bear in mind that even though I've been dabbling with myth for up to a year now, I still am very much a newbie!

Thanks again.

Where are you and what TV service are you using?

gwagchunks
March 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi

I'm in the UK, using the Pvr-150 to capture SKY channels from a SKY satellite box.

nickrout
March 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hi

I'm in the UK, using the Pvr-150 to capture SKY channels from a SKY satellite box.

OK do radio times have data for sky?

SiHa
March 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Check my link above, I counted 44. So that's not all of them I expect, but certainly the popular ones are there. Also all the usual freeview ones (Dave, GOLD, Virgin1 etc..)

gwagchunks
March 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
I've used the radio times grabber in the past for the DVB cards, and now just use EIT. I don't have a problem creating a grabber to use radiotimes data to use with the PVR-150 card, but how do you then map the channels from the grabber to get the ir-blaster to change channel on the satellite box? Thanks.