PDA

View Full Version : Netbook features?

ELD
February 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Just wandering what new features the netbook edition has?

Currently running the alpha3+updates on my brand new asus eeepc 1008HA and it near enough works like a dream.

Just a question though i need to select my wireless network everytime i boot up to log on, is that intentional or a bug?

cimh
February 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi

I have a much older eee901 and network manager hooks me up automatically every time, so I am sure that is something you can tweak. but you do have a different wifi driver than me.

I dont know if you are new to netbooks or not but if you are new the only way to test out the netbook editions is to run them and see - personally I dont like em. the standard Lucid runs so well, I cant see the point, they also seem to like the 'clutter' type desktop but it seems to me these are really only an advantage on a touch screen like the iphone. Also on the earlier ubuntu 9 the remix took longer to boot than the standard distro.

The biggest issue for me is getting the most out of the small screen and I would recommend trying chrome instead of firefox or adding the meerkat add on to firefox.

But its all very personal. Have fun

cimh
eee901

ELD
February 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM
How do i go about getting the normal desktop from the netbook edition?

cimh
February 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR suggests you could switch but that this aspect is outdated - perhaps try logout and login and see if you are given the choice - its only a guess.

cimh

Eclipse.
March 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM
How do i go about getting the normal desktop from the netbook edition?
The plan is an option at the gdm screen the same as switching between desktop enviroments like gnome and kde.Last I checked it didnt work yet but that was a while ago.

xfalcox
March 1st, 2010, 02:09 AM
I was with a working 9.10 UNR, but after updating trough update-manage -d, I'm not getting the netbook-laucher and the netbook upper panel...

It's a mess...

HOW DO I FIX?

emarkay
March 1st, 2010, 02:59 AM
So my girlfriend has a new EEEPC Asus 1005HAB - Got it because it was XP on it. I want to sell her on Linux - she is OK on my desktop, but want her to have it on her Netbook.

So, Yahoo Messenger, Facebook, Iphone, saved passwords and cache, ya know, all the opposite to security and common sense.

Is Lucid the one? :)

cariboo907
March 1st, 2010, 05:46 AM
I was with a working 9.10 UNR, but after updating trough update-manage -d, I'm not getting the netbook-laucher and the netbook upper panel...

It's a mess...

HOW DO I FIX?

You should be able to get netbook-launcher and maximus running, by pressing Alt-F2 and typing:

maximus

Then pressing Alt-F2 and typing:

netbook-launcher

If the above commands work, you can add to two applications to System->Preferences->Startup Applications.

I installed Lucid UNR on a 4Gb usb drive, It seems there are quite a few apps missing. OOOrg is completely missing, and of course Gimp is also gone. Both packages are easy enough to install though. My Mini 110 uses the Broadcom 4312 chipset, so I have to plug in a network cable in order to install the Broadcom restricted drivers, but otherwise everything ran well while running from the usb drive.

cimh
March 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
So my girlfriend has a new EEEPC...Is Lucid the one? :)

Hi the standard Lucid works perfectly on the 10 inch screen. IMO its one of the best - fast booting and everything seems to work.
BUT. Its still alpha and while its been rock solid for me for the last month you have to be prepared for things to go badly wrong. If you are not, then stick to 9.10 or xp until its launched in April

cimh
eee901, lucid, lubuntu, eeebuntu, puppeee

cimh
March 1st, 2010, 09:01 AM
OOOrg is completely missing, and of course Gimp is also gone.

If anyone is interested softmaker office 2010 is free beta for the moment. This is commercial software and IMHO a bit ahead of OOOrg. http://www.softmaker.com/. Its a deb download at 140mb. I havent tried it on lucid yet.

Apols to those who do not like commercial items. Briefly over xmas the company offered the full 2008 version as a free download as well.

cimh
eee901

ELD
March 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Just a note on the login screen you can select to boot into normal gnome, i just did it, seems the netbook edition on lucid comes with both as standard, good move :D

Ibidem
March 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
If anyone is interested softmaker office 2010 is free beta for the moment. This is commercial software and IMHO a bit ahead of OOOrg. http://www.softmaker.com/. Its a deb download at 140mb. I havent tried it on lucid yet.

Apols to those who do not like commercial items. Briefly over xmas the company offered the full 2008 version as a free download as well.

cimh
eee901
I have 2008 right now; the truth of the free downloads is that it seems Softmaker never takes down the download/registration pages.
I guess it must have tons of debug stuff left in; 2008 was a 53.7 MB download.
Took the liberty of correcting the version you gave.
Ibidem