PDA

View Full Version : About ATI drivers in Lucid

Speed_arg
February 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
When I booted Alpha 3 live cd, compiz was enabled with some effects, and rendering worked fine, unlikely previous versions which without drivers would suck and not enable you to use compiz.

Now my question is, does lucid bring ATI drivers out of the box? Or what? I read about the nouveau stuff, but thats for NVIDIA only, isn't it?

aamukahvi
February 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
When I booted Alpha 3 live cd, compiz was enabled with some effects, and rendering worked fine, unlikely previous versions which without drivers would suck and not enable you to use compiz.

Now my question is, does lucid bring ATI drivers out of the box? Or what? I read about the nouveau stuff, but thats for NVIDIA only, isn't it?

The open-source driver for ATI is maturing, that's all.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_r600_mesa_3d&num=1

andrek
February 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM
If only it had gpu power management support.. The lack of it sucks for laptop users.

uBeer
February 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
If only it had gpu power management support.. The lack of it sucks for laptop users.

My battery is broken anyways (36.9% capacity left - 20 min) so I don't mind, I have to use the power cable anyways. The only problem for me is a slightly warmer laptop.

antiram
February 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
you could use some of the pm options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, eg.

Section "Device"
Driver "radeon"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"

Option "ClockGating" "on"
Option "DynamicPM" "on"
Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "on"
EndSection

a initial xorg.conf can be made with
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
or so

andrek
February 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Do these options work with KMS enabled? Also, do they make the fan go as slow as fglrx does?

I'm afraid not, but thanks anyway.

antiram
February 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
i used this options some month ago with karmic and xorg-edgers without kms.

t.alex
February 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
proper kms power management should come with 2.6.34. just wait another week for rc1 :popcorn:

uBeer
February 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
i used this options some month ago with karmic and xorg-edgers without kms.

And did the options help? Was there a performance penalty? I guess for normal desktop (actually laptop ;) ) use it didn't make any difference?

Edit: Alas, it's not working for me:

[ 0.155408] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used
[ 0.155422] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
[ 0.155432] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used

Guess I'll have to wait for the 2.6.34 kernel...

andrek
February 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
The worst thing is that the laptop goes quickly hot and loud - thanks to its fans. I hope 2.6.34 kernel will fix that issue.

zika
February 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
And did the options help? Was there a performance penalty? I guess for normal desktop (actually laptop ;) ) use it didn't make any difference?

Edit: Alas, it's not working for me:

[ 0.155408] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used
[ 0.155422] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
[ 0.155432] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not usedGuess I'll have to wait for the 2.6.34 kernel...Did You try putting options radeon dynclks=1 in /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf ...?

uBeer
February 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
No, I actually do not have that file there. Can I just create that file with only that line in it or do I have to put more stuff in it?

Edit: cat /sys/module/radeon/parameters/dynclks now returns 1, but the frequency listed by cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/64/radeon_pm_info doesn't change, and I still get the same messages in Xorg.0.log about not loading the modules.

I must note that I have the stock Lucid kernel, 2.6.32. Do I have to install the 2.6.33 for some of these features? You said you had it working on Karmic so I guess that it should work on 2.6.32 as well...

boolean_
February 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used

I'm getting a real head ache from my video card fan. If anyone has any ideas of how to solve this I would be grateful.

Tried everything in this thread so far but still 100% fan speed...

antiram
February 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I must note that I have the stock Lucid kernel, 2.6.32. Do I have to install the 2.6.33 for some of these features? You said you had it working on Karmic so I guess that it should work on 2.6.32 as well...
i used the .31 karmic kernel only 2 weeks then .32 later .33-rc4 and newer.

if this is so essential for laptops you can use usermode settings, eg. kernelparameter "nomodeset" or "radeon.modeset=0" or similar setting in the radeon-kms.conf.

the forcelowpowermode brings the most powersaving. 3-5 Watt for me with a hd3450 (desktop with "voltcraft energy check 3000"). Linux graphic was fast, no slowdowns to see with compiz. But i use some hours per day a win xp install over rdesktop rdp and the rdp was clearly slower. Too slow for 3-5 Watt energy saving on a desktop.

uBeer
March 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Ah: http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-driver-ati@lists.x.org/msg12211.html

Apparently enabling KMS makes the power management go into the kernel and not in X. So I guess we do have to wait if we want to make use of kms...

zika
March 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
if this is so essential for laptops you can use usermode settings, eg. kernelparameter "nomodeset" or "radeon.modeset=0" or similar setting in the radeon-kms.conf.options radeon modeset=0 in /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf.
If You choose to put nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 in Your kernel-line, then file radeon-kms.conf might return error since it is used only if kernel doesn't have KMS disabled (enable/disable order while booting)...