PDA

View Full Version : Remove adverts with myth on UK DVB-T

geekyhawkes
February 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Has anyone had a decent amount of success with myth auto removing adverts from uk DVB-T (freeview) recordings?

I have read several threads with limited success and was wondering if things had gotten any better with .22?

Thanks

dibuntux
February 28th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339102

geekyhawkes
February 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
THanks but my problems are a bit more general than the length of commercials.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commflagging_in_the_UK

Has some good ideas how it might work in the uk but with no feedback on results. I was wondering if anyone here has tried commflagging with any success in the uk on dvb-t?

SiHa
February 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I've got to say that I stopped bothering. Commflagging works well on some, like channel 5, but most just do nothing. It has a lot to do with the fades, I think. Some channels have a very definite blank or still frame between, but ITV (for instance) simply cuts to and from commercials. If anything, I found commflagging has got worse with 0.22, rather than better.

geekyhawkes
March 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds like i will not bother. Not a huge issue, just looking to really make the most of my mythsetup now ive got the basics pretty much sorted.

nickrout
March 2nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
There are many threads on the mailing lists about this, may pay to search the archives.

I believe the habits of the broadcasters in the UK are different to the US (where most of the devs live and code and test).

But you may prefer to assess how long the usual ad break is and set the skip button to something a bit shorter (to allow for reaction time when the ads appear).

I actually prefer sticky keys for ad skipping.

byronmyth
March 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
I found that on "Fiver" it worked perfectly, other channels were either hit and miss or would jump part way through a programme. Combined with an issue I found, if I had something recording in the early hours it would be ruined by the attempts of the system to remove the ad's I turned the whole lot off.

Slate8
March 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I must say that I gave up on this too some time ago. No big deal really, I'm happy to fast forward the ads :)

gwagchunks
March 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Virgin and Virgin+1 seem to work 9 times out of 10. ITV is hit and miss, I haven't tried on any other channels. So in myth channel setup, I have comm flagging left on for these channels, and switched off for BBC1, BBC2 etc. The box then spends less time comm flagging and has less CPU tied up. :)