PDA

View Full Version : First root auth after Auto-login kicks me out to login manually

kyleabaker
February 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I've noticed this since I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10, but I kept thinking it would be fixed with an update by now. I couldn't find any other mention of this problem anywhere, but I'm not exactly sure what to search for either.

Here is what happens:
1. I start Ubuntu and I have it setup to auto-login, so it loads my desktop and all seems well.
2. I open Update Manager, click check for updates then enter my password. This is where it immediately crashes gnome or something and kicks me out to the login screen.
3. Log in manually, everything works fine from this point forward.

I also noticed another thing. If I open empathy first thing after an auto-login, it says that the key or auth couldn't be obtained from the keyring. I clicked cancel (several times, I assume once per chat account registered) and it crashed gnome just like checking for updates did. Logging in manually had the same results as before as well.

Any idea if this is known or how I can fix it?

VMC
February 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I also noticed another thing. If I open empathy first thing after an auto-login, it says that the key or auth couldn't be obtained from the keyring. I clicked cancel (several times, I assume once per chat account registered) and it crashed gnome just like checking for updates did. Logging in manually had the same results as before as well.

Any idea if this is known or how I can fix it?

Regarding keyring. In the past if I remove "~/.gnome2/keyring" then it works again. Rename it to be sure. See if it rebuilds the folder/

Slug71
February 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Yeh i had been getting this too. I just disabled the auto-login for a while and was going to re-enable it to see if that fixed it but never got around to it.

Today i booted up and went to login and enter password and then it went back to login screen again so i had to do it again. weird.

Perhaps time for a bug?

moomex
February 28th, 2010, 05:00 PM
This is a Plymouth bug... The problem is fixed by removing plymouth

sudo apt-get remove plymouth

kyleabaker
March 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM
With plymouth removed, I'm still getting prompted on login to enter my password for the keyring as soon as I start Empathy or Gwibber.

It no longer kicks me out to the login screen, but it does still prompt for the password which defeats the purpose of me setting it to auto-login.

Any ideas? Should I still attempt rename/deleting the keyring folder/files?