PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype crash when starting Full Screen Sharing

sleepee
February 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM
So, i'm pretty sure this is not ubuntu's fault, but i was just wondering how many other people have this same problem..
i just found out (late i know) that the knew skype beta 2 now comes with the awesome screen-sharing feature that skype for mac and skype for win comes with..
so i uninstalled the old skype and installed the new beta version with lightning quickness to try that out.. (and show off my compiz effects to all my friends lol!!)

anyway, it seems to only work halfway for me. sharing the FULL screen will cause my skype app to crash and close instantly. but sharing a screen selection works just fine... even though i can't resize the screen selecting area.. but it's not that big a deal for me.

anyway, i was just wondering how many other ubuntu/linux users have the same issue...

gradinaruvasile
February 28th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I used screen full screen sharing without problems. Might be related to your video drivers?
Also, you CAN resize the selection runtime - but that crashed Skype for me (Debian Squeeze) AND the other end (Ubuntu 8.10).

sleepee
February 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
hmmm.. i must've missed that resizing option.. i'll check it out again. thanx for that..
as far as the video drivers, i have nvidia's latest drivers installed (195.36.03 for x86_64). i wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem... nvidia's performance on my box hasn't been exactly flawless, and they don't seem to be very customer-friendly, at least as far as linux customers are concerned..
i'll post in the skype page and see what kind of answer i get....

in the meantime, i guess i could just resize the screen selection to take up the whole screen and do it that way right??

sleepee
February 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I used screen full screen sharing without problems. Might be related to your video drivers?
Also, you CAN resize the selection runtime - but that crashed Skype for me (Debian Squeeze) AND the other end (Ubuntu 8.10).

btw, what video drivers are you using????
and was your debian box 64 bits?? and did it happen often??

sleepee
February 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
well, i kept messing around some with the skype screen sharing feature... and it seems to be a mess...

what i described in my first post was when i was talking to somebody using OS X.
so now i know how to resize the screen selection, but that also has problems...
when i resized BEFORE activating the screen share selection, skype crashed...
but when i activated the screen selection and resized the selection area afterwards, it worked fine...
all that is with me (ubuntu 9.10 64bit) talking to an OS X Leopard.

then i tried it out talking with an ubuntu 9.04 32bit box and it worked perfect... no crashes at all using screen sharing..

kinda weird that i only have problems talking to macs, but none when it's ubuntu/ubuntu conversations, and gradinaruvasile has problems with ubuntu/debian conversations...

later i'm probably going to boot one of my boxes into xp (haven't done that in a LONG time lol) and see how ubuntu/windows skype sharing goes...
hopefully, one of my friends with windows logs in before i try to boot into windows though.. :lol:

gradinaruvasile
February 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I use 32-bit only. I see too many 64-bit related bugs and i did try it but it was 0 performance difference with the added problems of not finding 64 bit apps etc. And have nvidia cards on all computers - i use the 195.30 driver, directly from nvidia's site.
And if i think of it, i used Xubuntu 9.10 when i tried the screen sharing with the 8.10 box.

aftabnaveed
March 31st, 2010, 12:09 PM
I just Update my skype version to 2.10.81, I am having Dual Displays when I tried to select the Display from the List and then Select Full screen it would just crash, but when I try to select the selection then the selection just won't work.

Btw I m using Karmic Koala 9.10
Thanks

matt-fender
December 20th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Dropping my screen resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 solved the problem for me