PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Remove Adobe Reader from Lucid

Lunx
February 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Today I came across an article about security vulnerabilities with Adobe Reader 9.3

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-07.html

Since I have no real need for this app, I figured I would remove it altogether, but trying to do so has been a nightmare so far, with no joy.

first thing I tried was through a terminal

sudo apt-get remove acroreadNo go, error message instead

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package acroread is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

If I go to Ubuntu Software Centre, it doesn't show up in list of installed packages, despite it showing up in my menu Applications > Office > Adobe Reader 9, and there doesn't seem to be a way of removing it via Software Centre either. I installed the package originally from the Adobe site, and followed their installation instructions (yeah, I know, probably wasn't the best way to go about installing in first place :redface:).

I've asked a couple of other people on another forum if they could help, but they've run out of ideas as well, so I figured I beg for help here.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Lunx
February 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I went looking through my files to see where this app was installed to, found it in /opt/Adobe

Would simply deleting this file be enough, and would it remove the FF plugin as well, or is that going to be found in mozilla somewhere?

Sorry, I'm three-parts asleep and brain isn't working as it should.

cong06
February 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I mean, I'm sure you already thought about "finding" it.

Maybe try following the icon it made to where it's actual install folder is? (though I'm sure you already found it: /opt/Adobe)

I'm pretty sure that deleting it would cause everything to stop working, but you'd probably want to clean things up (Firefox settings, dead links pointing to /opt/Adobe, Nautilus settings etc.)

But I'm just guessing...

OrangeCrate
February 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
We already have the fix in the repositories (check the package version in Synaptic).

Adobe recommends users of Adobe Reader 9.3 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX update to Adobe Reader 9.3.1.

cong06
February 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Well, in that case if it's a problem with a busted package, maybe just over-install with 9.3.1?

Lunx
February 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Well, in that case if it's a problem with a busted package, maybe just over-install with 9.3.1?

Yeah, I was thinking perhaps I'd try updating, then see what happens regarding removing it.

I didn't really explain myself very well in my OP. When I say it doesn't show up in Ubuntu Software Centre, it actually does under "Office", but not when I then select "Installed Software". If I click the More Info link for Adobe Reader, I get the following

This software is available from the 'lucid-partner' source, which you are not currently using.

I had a look at my software sources in Synaptic, but nothing there about 'lucid-partner', everything still mentions Karmic ATM, apart from Medibunti - Ubuntu 10.04 "lucid lynx" free nonfree, and similar Medibuntu entry for source.

Lunx
February 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I mean, I'm sure you already thought about "finding" it.

Maybe try following the icon it made to where it's actual install folder is? (though I'm sure you already found it: /opt/Adobe)

Yep, that directory seems to be where it all lives, the only other file I founder is in usr/bin, but it's got a symbolic link pointing to /opt/Adobe

I'll have a go at upgrading and see what that does, whether it will then let me remove it.

Not that much of a problem, but it was using a trial version of some Adobe software a bit over a year ago, and the amount of crap it left behind after uninstalling was one reason I finally got up the courage to give Linux a try (not to mention MS deciding my 'puter needed a restart after installing updates, and shut down without even having the courtesy to warn me and suggest I save my work first. A half-hour's work on a very important document shot to pieces).

Lunx
March 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
No longer a problem, solved in a rough and ready manner by a fresh install (I reverted from Lucid back to Karmic as it isn't quite stable enough for me to risk using as my only OS). That's not a criticism of Lucid either BTW, I know the risks of running alpha releases LOL