PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't there an option in display to choose the main screen?

aviramof
February 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
everytime i enable a second screen like my tv it's automaticly identified it as the main screen and i can't do nothing about it.

thanks in advance.

chrisccoulson
February 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I've wondered the same thing. It's supported by gnome-desktop, as you can edit ~/.config/monitors.xml, and change "<primary>no</primary>" to "<primary>yes</primary>" for the monitor in the configuration stanza you're using. If you do that, your desired monitor will be primary next time you log in.

I'll see if this is exposed in the gnome-desktop API. If it is, it would be trivial to add the option to the UI.

ssam
February 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
if you want the gnome-panel on a different screen then just hold down alt and drag them.

aviramof
February 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I've wondered the same thing. It's supported by gnome-desktop, as you can edit ~/.config/monitors.xml, and change "<primary>no</primary>" to "<primary>yes</primary>" for the monitor in the configuration stanza you're using. If you do that, your desired monitor will be primary next time you log in.

I'll see if this is exposed in the gnome-desktop API. If it is, it would be trivial to add the option to the UI.

it would be great if it's possible to add to the UI.

ronacc
February 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
A switch in "display" would be very helpful , I'll try chrisccoulson's method later , I have my big screen tv on the vga output of my video card and my ws monitor on the dvi and have to go through all kinds of monkey motion to get GDM to put my desktop on the monitor and use the tv as secondary.

aviramof
March 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
any news about adding this option?

thanks in advance.