PDA

View Full Version : Just tried Gwibber, what a POS!

biomedtech
February 27th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It might help to ensure an application works before making it a default install.

I have a Facebook account. I followed the steps to add my username and password to Gwibber, I saw it load a thumbnail image of my Facebook page, I saw the interface window load some default icons for interaction with Facebook.

What I didn't see, is any of my 'sends' actually make it to Facebook after 30 minutes. Further, I received one Facebook status notification (while Gwibber was open), and it never alerted me to that update.

Not only that, but everything Gwibber did was slow slow slow, slower than windows.

What is Gwibber good for? Not a GD thing!

bash
February 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Oh wow! There is a problem in an in-development program of an in-development version of an OS. And you come here to tell us that and throw around insults.

If it's doesn't work file a bug; if you don't want to be exposed to programs that might not work, don't use a development version (of either OS or program).

Tired of people using an unstable version, coming here and writing: «Oh noes! Something doesn't work, therefor {Program}/Ubuntu/Linux is teh fail!!!!111»

biomedtech
February 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I expect a default install to at least function in a basic capacity. This app did nothing. didn't send, receive, or even generate a crash report. IT DID NOTHING. My original observation stands.

Oh wow! There is a problem in an in-development program of an in-development version of an OS. And you come here to tell us that and throw around insults.

If it's doesn't work file a bug; if you don't want to be exposed to programs that might not work, don't use a development version (of either OS or program).

Tired of people using an unstable version, coming here and writing: «Oh noes! Something doesn't work, therefor {Program}/Ubuntu/Linux is teh fail!!!!111»

e-Gee
February 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I expect a default install to at least function in a basic capacity. This app did nothing. didn't send, receive, or even generate a crash report. IT DID NOTHING. My original observation stands.
It is one of the best apps I tried in Alpha 3 stage of development !

kyleabaker
February 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Like @bash, I'm having trouble understanding why exactly you're insulting a program that is still highly being developed. 10.04 isn't due out for ~2 months. That leaves plenty of time for Gwibber to get things in order. I've run into bugs as well, but instead of moaning about it I've inspected the problems and filed bugs.

You clearly don't understand what a development release is or apparently what alpha means...in which case you shouldn't even be using this. How about being constructive? Your rants belong somewhere else, like a blog.

biomedtech
February 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I had both programs open, and watched as Facebook operated normally while Gwibber sat still. This is supposed to be an app capable of interacting with Facebook, yet for all the successful setup it didn't communicate a thing! It's like a web browser than can't load a home page. It's like a text reader that can't display text. There is a difference between developmental and questionable.

And I don't have to justify a response to someone that doesn't recognize the difference between criticizing an entire OS (your position) vs. criticizing one non-functioning program.

You have a good day in your weird world.

QUOTE=kyleabaker;8889572]Like @bash, I'm having troubn't le understanding why exactly you're insulting a program that is still highly being developed. 10.04 isn't due out for ~2 months. That leaves plenty of time for Gwibber to get things in order. I've run into bugs as well, but instead of moaning about it I've inspected the problems and filed bugs.

You clearly don't understand what a development release is or apparently what alpha means...in which case you shouldn't even be using this. How about being constructive? Your rants belong somewhere else, like a blog.[/QUOTE]

kyleabaker
February 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I had both programs open, and watched as Facebook operated normally while Gwibber sat still. This is supposed to be an app capable of interacting with Facebook, yet for all the successful setup it didn't communicate a thing! It's like a web browser than can't load a home page. It's like a text reader that can't display text. There is a difference between developmental and questionable.

And I don't have to justify a response to someone that doesn't recognize the difference between criticizing an entire OS (your position) vs. criticizing one non-functioning program.

You have a good day in your weird world.

Like @bash, I'm having troubn't le understanding why exactly you're insulting a program that is still highly being developed. 10.04 isn't due out for ~2 months. That leaves plenty of time for Gwibber to get things in order. I've run into bugs as well, but instead of moaning about it I've inspected the problems and filed bugs.

You clearly don't understand what a development release is or apparently what alpha means...in which case you shouldn't even be using this. How about being constructive? Your rants belong somewhere else, like a blog.

Justifying your response has nothing to do with any of this. Calling a program a POS before its had time to mature and work out issues still isn't constructive. Recognizing that it doesn't work as it should or will when 10.04 would be the logical step. Is Ubuntu 10.04 a POS to you for crashing in alpha 1, 2 or 3? Its not had time to mature yet either.

warjowuch
February 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
THe app in the Karmic Repo is not "in development" or, not ready for relase. It has a versionnumber 2.0.0... That's something else then "the OS being in Alpha stage" because the app is not.
So, I guess the topicstarter has a valid point I guess.

However, I also hope he is/you are filing bugreports. :) or send an email to the developers/Mark/someone else...

23meg
February 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
The development branch is all about testing and getting non-working stuff to work. If you want to help with that, try running the app with "gwibber --debug --verbose" and file a bug report. If all you want to do is rant and swear, that's not welcome here; take it elsewhere.