PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my _ internet connection incostintent

attilab
February 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM
not really just ubuntu related,
my problem is that the internet is disconnecting (between couple seconds to couple minutes in random interval several times per hour every day) what kills our in the multiplayer games. This started about 7-10 days ago, loosing the remote servers and need to restart the DSL modem also the game is scraped(Crysis in windows).
With simple internet browsing or emailing we probably won't notice how heavy is the problem, but we like to play multiplayer games.
My ISP is Acanac (we live in GTA/Toronto), they are getting the outsourced signal from Bell (who is BTW tuneling the p2p between 4pm to 2am, but my son is telling me the internet disonnects even in the morning hours).
After my several complains they sent out the Bell tech, they sad nothing wrong with their cables up to my house. Inside my house is hardwired connected to a Linksys WRT350N router, plus I have a WiFi as well.
I connect the PCs (dualboots, and one Mac) dirrect to a modem bypassing the router, still disconnects. My ISP will send me a new modem, what again I believe wont help.
My best guess --- that the phone company=Bell sends a trigger to the modem but I don't have a technologie to proof to myself and them, also, I don't have anywhere to escape. Bell and Rogers have a monopol over connections, charging more than double than a smaller ISPs. My acanac ISPS was very reliable and inexpencive source for a year, but somehow this issue makes me wonder how deep the game goes.
now my question:
- does exist "something" that can give me a log about timing and duration of disconnected connections, I could leave the boxes open during day and they would collect the logs?
If I connect my laptop dirrect to a modem I am able to stat, but this is not what I want, to log thru the router from any of computers.
I am not a guru with networking but for home use never had bigger issues before this story.
please give me some advise what would you do?