PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] simple mysql question

SSamiK
February 24th, 2010, 11:47 PM
OK.. i've got one simple question.. when running a mysq query throught ssh, how do i know if it all went well?

The reason I'm asking is I have a 700MB backup witch I try to restore..

After running

mysql -u root -p >sqlfile.sql
I get a blank line, and I'm unsure if it's finished, working or what...

howlingmadhowie
February 24th, 2010, 11:53 PM
OK.. i've got one simple question.. when running a mysq query throught ssh, how do i know if it all went well?

The reason I'm asking is I have a 700MB backup witch I try to restore..

After running

mysql -u root -p >sqlfile.sql
I get a blank line, and I'm unsure if it's finished, working or what...

to pass commands in a text file to mysql, as far as i know you have to enter the following:

mysql -u USERNAME -p < NAME_OF_THE_FILE

and then the mysql-password for USERNAME. In your code the arrow is pointing the wrong way.

One thing you can always do is open a shell connection to the server. You can do this by just entering the following:

mysql -u USERNAME -p DATABASE_NAME

and then the mysql-password for USERNAME. Then you can look around the data in the database using standard mysql commands (e.g. 'SELECT * FROM table;')

I hope this helps :)

brian.m
February 24th, 2010, 11:56 PM
howlingmadhowie, you are correct. Here is a link that covers this: MySQL backup and restore commands (http://www.brianm.name/backup-and-restore-mysql-databases-from-the-command-line/) (from the shell).

SSamiK
February 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM
OK.. thanks you guys! I've got it going now, just have to wait. Guess it will take some time processing 700MB of database backup. :)