PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help getting data off a server with a hard drive problem

brian.m
February 24th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have a server running 8.04.2 that is on the fritz; the hard drive is failing (or at best somewhat corrupted) and I cannot boot unless in recovery move, where fsck fails and places the hard drive in read-only mode. Here are some details:

Running fsck manually does not resolve the problem; I have done it a number of times but the drive is still mounted in read-only mode.
I was able to start the SSH server to download files relating to the web services, but I need the MySQL database files as well.
I cannot download anything from the /var/lib/MySQL directory because the files are owned by root.
I cannot enable to root account because the hard drive is in read-only mode, and I cannot start the web services (phpmyadmin) for the same reason.
I also cannot remotely SSH or SCP the files from the server to another because SSH is not part of the recovery mode environment.
I cannot place the hard drive in another computer because it is encrypted (LUKS). I realize that it is possible to decrypt the drive but the tutorial I wrote that explains how to do this is in the MySQL database (it took me quite some time to put it together)!

Can someone, please, provide some promising suggestions? I am running out of options to retrieve the last set of data (very important database files) off my server.

KiLaHuRtZ
February 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Perhaps the superblock fsck is running against is corrupt or damaged. When you create a filesystem (ext) is places backup superblocks on the disk based on filesystem size. The first backup superblock is always 32. Try fscking with that.

fsck -b 32 /dev/[DISK]

terazen
February 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know if something like this would help. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16812119152

Or maybe put the hd into another server as a slave and see if it'll let you get in to copy data off it?

i.r.id10t
February 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Boot with a live cd, then mount the drive and then chroot into the directory you have it mounted in - wallah! you are root.