PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP G71 HDMI Output

Manyette
February 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Finally had a chance to check the HDMI output frmo my computer, only to find that it doesn't work. Is this something that Ubuntu doesn't support, or that I need a driver for. I'm totally ignorant on this subject. Any help would be most welcome. TIA

Raval
February 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi, I have a HP G60t laptop. I got HDMI to work a few minuted ago. I'm using an Samsung 40" 1080P TV.

First select the HDMI channel the cable is connected too.

Then click on display under System->Preference.

Then select "mirror monitors"

You should see your Ubuntu desktop.

When I select "detect monitors" my TV comes up as a 7" Samsung.

This solves Video but now we need to set audio.

Under System->Preference click on sound

Under Sound select Hardware and for the profile option select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output"

If your laptop has a mic then you can select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo Input"

Raval
February 25th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Hi, I have a HP G60t laptop. I got HDMI to work a few minuted ago. I'm using an Samsung 40" 1080P TV.

First select the HDMI channel the cable is connected too.

Then click on display under System->Preference.

Then select "mirror monitors"

You should see your Ubuntu desktop.

When I select "detect monitors" my TV comes up as a 7" Samsung.

This solves Video but now we need to set audio.

Under System->Preference click on sound

Under Sound select Hardware and for the profile option select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output"

If your laptop has a mic then you can select "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo Input"

Manyette
February 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hi Raval, thanks for the reply. My experience is different for some reason. I plug HDMI cable to both, and System - Preferences - Display immediately detectsl '40" Toshiba". But when I tell it to mirror screen the 40" Toshiba window disappears, and the TV screen blanks out with snow. Got a clue what I'm doing wrong? Somehow I think it's cerebral rectalitis, but I haven't found out what kind yet! At no point does the desktop appear on the TV.

Raval
February 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Did you try clicking on detect displays after selecting mirror display?

I think after I click on mirror display my TV goes to no signal and I have to click on detect displays to find it back.

Manyette
February 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Raval, sorry, I should have mentioned that. Either Detect Displays, or Mirror Display will blank the TV screen. Removing the check mark on Mirror, or timeout on the Detect Display will cause the '40" Toshiba" icon to reappear in the window. I'll try it again today (when I can pry Momma off the Tv) and work through it again to be sure. This morning when we turned on the TV, it was locked up with a couple of error messages that said that "HDCP was not allowed", and right now I don't even know what that means, and I had to do a system reset on the TV to get it working again. I'll try again today using your directions, and make sure I followed them exactly. And again, thanks for the assistance.

Manyette
February 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Raval, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I did get it to work, and I think, but am not sure, that the mistake I made was not having both ends of the cable hooked up before I started. Anyway, it does now work properly, and didn't lock up the TV either. Just ran the first few Minutes of Star Wars III, and both videeo and audio worked exactly as promised. Again many thanks.