PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] b43-fwcutter

shoepolice
February 24th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi,

A new install of Ubuntu 9.10 on an Acer Aspire 3000 is not recognising my wireless device. Details here (see 2nd post for full details as per details required sticky thread above);

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1414453

I went through loads of steps to no avail, but now have the bcmwl5a driver installed with ndiswrapper. However, the final thread I used to try and fix it suggested installing the b43-fwcutter. With this now installed, do I need to revert to a different driver? I think I've just worked out that I don't.

Going round in circles and now don't know where to go. Any help available please? Paypal pint in it for whoever fixes it :)

Extra tags: unable to see if hardware is present; could not find network configuration tool.

chili555
February 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Paypal pint in it for whoever fixes itThis flies in the face of the spirit and intent of free and open source software, in my opinion. I suggest you not make money offers here.

Is your system working well with the Windows driver and ndiswrapper? If so, why change anything? If not, post back and tell us your problems and we'll do our very best to help you fix them...for free.

shoepolice
February 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM
This flies in the face of the spirit and intent of free and open source software, in my opinion. I suggest you not make money offers here.

Is your system working well with the Windows driver and ndiswrapper? If so, why change anything? If not, post back and tell us your problems and we'll do our very best to help you fix them...for free.

The system is not working with windows driver and ndiswrapper. When I boot up the external wifi light does not flash, so I'm guessing it is not being recognised by Ubuntu. When I try to configure network in Windows Wireless Drivers GUI I get the error message "Could not find network configuration tool" and when I just open the GUI it says "Unable to see if hardware is present".

And re the paypal pint, it was meant as a friendly gesture, not bribery. If a mate gave me something for free I'd buy him a pint down the pub next time, I meant this along the same lines. I thought the spirit and intent of free and open source software was to contribute voluntarily to those who provide it? Apologies if I have this wrong.

chili555
February 24th, 2010, 05:03 PM
The system is not working with windows driver and ndiswrapper.Please open a terminal and do:
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper -l
iwconfig
rfkill listWith this information, we will have a better idea how to proceed.

If we solve this, I will expect a pint when I am next in your town; but then I expect to buy us a second one!

shoepolice
February 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Deal.

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

jim@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.

ndiswrapper -l

jim@ubuntu:~$ ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
bcmwl5a : driver installed
device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: ssb)

iwconfig

jim@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

rfkill list

*returns nothing*

chili555
February 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0It looks perfectly healthy to me. What happens when you click the Network Manager icon and try to connect? Do you see networks?

boomerian
February 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks to you both (and I no longer drink)!
I, too, have been struggling with a Broadcom wireless.
Do I need to remove ndiswrapper if I load B43-fwcutter?
Cheers,

shoepolice
February 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well well, it works now. Must have been something I did last night but didn't notice it working or the reboot has fixed it.

So, err, does that mean you owe me a pint? :)

Hopefully my thanks for your time will suffice.

shoepolice
February 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Boomerian - no, I haven't uninstalled anything. You might want to take this thread on with chili555 if he doesn't mind.

chili555
February 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks to you both (and I no longer drink)!
I, too, have been struggling with a Broadcom wireless.
Do I need to remove ndiswrapper if I load B43-fwcutter?
Cheers,Please start a new thread. I'll be right there.

chili555
February 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hopefully my thanks for your time will suffice.I am glad it's working and I feel generously rewarded! Enjoy.