View Full Version : [ubuntu] Privoxy will start manually but not during init

February 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Long-time linux user, new to Ubuntu (mainly a gentoo user).

I need to get tor and privoxy up and running for a less computer-capable user. I installed Tor and Privoxy, configured them (apparently correctly) and they both appear to work just fine when I start them manually from their init scripts:

sudo /etc/init.d/tor start
sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start

However, I cannot seem to get privoxy to start up properly when the machine boots. Tor starts up and waits patiently, but privoxy is dying or getting killed for some reason I can't understand, and on Ubuntu, have no idea how to diagnose. There's no privoxy process after booting, and the init.d script reports status: not running. I have the startup scripts for both Tor and Privoxy linked to in all the relevant runlevels. I played with the order thinking it might be a dependency thing. Hell, I even put a line in rc.local to try and force it to go. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the privoxy service to start for me any way but by manually typing 'sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start' in a terminal, after logging in.

So I am looking for two kinds of help:

1. Help me get privoxy to auto-start during init
2. OR Help me figure out how to figure out how to get privoxy to auto-start during init. On Gentoo, all of the init scripts are listed on the screen during init as they run, and you can even run through them interactively by pressing I during startup. I have no idea how to do this on Ubuntu. I modified the kernel line to remove the splash screen, but the information Ubuntu puts on the screen during init is quite haphazard. How do I figure out what's going wrong with the privoxy init script? :confused:

February 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
... no one?