My setup:

Ubuntu Karmic Server Edition 64 bit
Dell PowerEdge T610
4 internal NIC RJ45
1 add-on NIC Fibre 1 Gb
Samba 3.4.0
two shares intended for WIN clients

Connections:

eth0 (the first internal NIC) is part of a private network of 4 servers connected to a Gb switch. this connections serves as a fast link among these servers to regularly transfer (backup) large quantities of data. Only I can utilise it from within the server room (among those servers, obviously).

eth0: 192.168.0.AA1

eth4 is the Intel add-on NIC with 1 GB fibre connections to the public network of our institution. This is the link/IP my WIN clints have to use to access their shares.

eth4: 134.XXX.YYY.ZZ1

My Problem:

Despite having including both interfaces in my smb.conf only the internal connection via eth0 lives up to my expectation and delivers up to 50 MB/s.

All clients trying to connect via eth4 will be able to see and access the shares, but file transfers commence with speeds severely below 0,5 MB/s with lots of aborts and warnings from the WIN file explorer.

So I experimented with the setting "interfaces" in the global section of smb.conf --- to no avail. I even set samba only to eth4: same problem. Only way to get flawless & fast transfers is the way through eth0.

The samba log files of the clients I tried do show some errors, but I fear I am unable to interpret them properly.

/etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface Intel Gb link via fibre
auto eth4
iface eth4 inet static
address 134.XXX.YYY.ZZ1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 134.XXX.YYY.0
broadcast 134.XXX.YYY.255
gateway 134.XXX.YYY.254
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 134.XXX.BBB.CCC

# internal Gb link via eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.AA1
netmask 255.255.255.0

What other info/output shall I post to give any clues?

waldgeist_di
February 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
/etc/samba/smb.conf

# Samba Configuration File created manually by Waldgeist 2010/01/15
# edited 2010/02/24

[global]
workgroup = WELTFORST
server string = %h SRV (SMB, Karmic)
dns proxy = No
interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0, eth4
bind interfaces only = yes
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, a couple of hosts here...
hosts deny = ALL
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 4096
security = user
load printers = no
show add printer wizard = no
printing = cups
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes

[sicherungen]
comment = Sicherungsordner von Meistergeiser
path = /home/meistergeister/Sicherungen
writable = yes
browsable = no
valid users = meistergeister

[ed_user1]
comment = Files User1
path = /home/user1/Daten
writable = yes
browsable = no
valid users = user1

waldgeist_di
February 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
No one out there with a clue :o?

dmizer
February 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Try posting the errors. I assume that the errors are in German, but there may still be someone here able to read and understand them.

Are the restrictions on hosts and interfaces necessary in your environment? These could possibly be causing your problem.

interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0, eth4
bind interfaces only = yes
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, a couple of hosts here...
hosts deny = ALL
Otherwise, things may improve if you include the 134.XXX.YYY.0 in your "hosts allow" option. I was unable to determine if the bind interfaces only option overrides hosts deny or not, but it looks like unless your 134.XXX.YYY.0 range is in the hosts allow, it will be refused.

With that in mind though, I'm not sure why your eth0 interface works as desired.

Also, are you positive that the fiber nic is operating correctly?

waldgeist_di
February 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you for your help!

Also, are you positive that the fiber nic is operating correctly?

Looks like that's exactly my problem. The site administrator just informed me about possible problems with the combination [my Intel NIC + Foundry Hardware].

Therefore, as a test, I reconfigured the connection to the outside LAN to use eth1 (the second internal RJ45/Gb NIC). All other configurations stay the same > instant success. Both transfer directions end up with 9 to 9,5 MB/s.

The only drawback: the internal NIC is presently connected to a 100 Mb switch/converter which in turn connects to the fibre network in this building instead of a 1 Gb link.

dmizer
February 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Thank you for your help!

Looks like that's exactly my problem. The site administrator just informed me about possible problems with the combination [my Intel NIC + Foundry Hardware].

Therefore, as a test, I reconfigured the connection to the outside LAN to use eth1 (the second internal RJ45/Gb NIC). All other configurations stay the same > instant success. Both transfer directions end up with 9 to 9,5 MB/s.

The only drawback: the internal NIC is presently connected to a 100 Mb switch/converter which in turn connects to the fibre network in this building instead of a 1 Gb link.

Well, at least you know what the problem is. Hopefully you can get the hardware sorted out so that you can get back up to speed.

Glad to have helped.